“YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. BAD FOOD!” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 37 Restaurants in Brawley
Cuisines: Mexican
Brawley, California
“YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. BAD FOOD!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

I went in with my husband and the prices were really cheap, which surprised me, but there was a reason behind it. The service was slow and it was so loud, I couldn't hear myself think. Tables and chairs too close together. My husband had to send his food back because the plate he ordered was supposed to have shrimp, and there was absolutely none on the plate. Table was dirty. Customers were rude. And the food has no flavor at all. VERY BLAND! We ended up sick for a couple of days. That was the first and last time we ever went there!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

State of Jefferson
“Friendly staff! Extended hours. Yet, sad fare.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

OK, this place has a couple of things going for it. Easy to find and the kitchen is open late (every day until 10 !). They have a simple, yet welcoming separate lounge area with a friendly and very accommodating bartender. The waiter staff is fine and they even have a jukebox to liven things up a bit.

Actually, this fits my criteria, quite well, for an out-of-town evening repast on a recent road trip.

Now, my wife and I have lived in So Cal all our lives – and have thusly been availed a myriad of Mexican meals, both "gringo-style" and more authentic. So venturing down close to the border in the decidedly Mexican-American town of Brawley had my expectations high for some extra tasty eats. Alas, on this particular night, that was not to be.

Although quite pleased to be able to sit at the bar and be served dinner (my normal proclivity) and drinks, after a long day on a photo expedition. We were treated with average at best, mostly drive-through-quality food and even one dish which was surprisingly unpalatable. To the character of our charming bartender, she credited the poor dish off our bill.

We started with a highly recommended (by both staff and patrons) appetizer, Chiles Gueritos con Camaron; bacon-wrapped, yellow chilies stuffed with shrimp and cheese, served on a bed of (quite good) mexican rice, with what seemed a diluted Worcestershire sauce as a dip. I ordered half without the bacon, but it didn't really matter, either way they were just kinda OK. Unfortunately, everything went down hill from there. And even though I was looking forward to being served one of their nice collection of micro-brews in an icy "Chabelas" (a large goblet, hence the restaurant name). I was informed that they were reserved for a red-beer drink (tomato juice w/beer). Despite longing for the advertised goblet schooner, the draft ale and mixed drinks were fine.

In the end, we were pleased to have found a friendly respite in the wilds of Imperial Co. And it was gratifying to have been treated so well, being non-local Wasp-ish travelers. The wait-staff and local customers definitely have embraced the concept of Hospitality. Yet, I believe the management ought to look a little closer at what's going on in the kitchen and/or revisit the offerings.

We drove about sixty miles out of our way to eat here. I'm afraid I wouldn't do that again. But maybe it was just an off night in the kitchen. If you are already in Brawley, give em a try.

Please note: My high rating (below) on the Atmosphere was due to the general good feeling presented by the staff and patrons. The physical atmosphere is unimpressive but just fine.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Nelson
“Very Good Food, Quality Ingredients”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We both had pork-based dishes, and the meat was excellent - well seasoned, tender, and a lot of it at a good price. No loud Mexican tourist music, a real plus. I saw a lot of white faces, many more than on the street, so this may have been the go-to place for non-locals (our hotel recommended it), but it did not disappoint. Why not an excellent rating? I expect a subtlety in the taste for that, and it does not come at these prices.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Great, Authentic, and Delicious Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Visiting family in town and decided to try this place on the way out. The staff was very cordial and attentive. The menu offers the basic Mexican plates. The chile rellleno and cheese enchilada were deliciously prepared. The rice and beans were also flavorful and reminded me of my late mother's cooking. Also, the prices are quite reasonable so you can feast on their food. I can't wait to return and introduce other family members to this restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing, authentic and a great value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

So my wife was at the Brawley hospital for some tests and it was dinner time and I decided to try nearby Las Chabelas. I was greeted, actually warmly welcomed and seated in a cozy booth.
The menu offered all the standards at very good prices but the show-stoppers were their specialties and I went for a large fish filet covered with lots and lots of garlic and some chiles, perfectly cooked and an explosion of flavor. I licked my platter clean.
A few days later I returned for lunch and had a beef fajitas salad...creative, amazing and even healthy.
Just last week my wife and I had lunch there and I had Chiles Guerito con Camaron, flavorful chiles stuffed with shrimp and cheese and served over rice with a dipping sauce. I've had this dish in other restaurants but this version was the very best of the best. I will order the dish again next time.
The service is excellent. I have felt welcomed each time I have been at the restaurant. The servers are knowledgeable about the menu items and very helpful.
The only ding that I can give the restaurant is that their dessert selection is not good and seems like an after-thought. They don't even have flan.
This review may sound a little over the top but I am seldom this happy about a restaurant experience.

• Visited August 2012