“As dirty as camping, but at least there was a roof.” 2 of 5 stars

Live Oak Springs Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   37820 Old Highway 80, Boulevard, CA 91905   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Boulevard
San Diego, CA
“As dirty as camping, but at least there was a roof.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My fiance and I purchased a two-night stay at Live Oaks thru a "daily deal". $99 for 2 nights (excluding weekends, OF COURSE). We expected a romantic getaway, based on their website. We looked forward to the in-room jacuzzi and that "cabin feel". We paid $60 extra for the Sparkling Cider Gift Basket - we were disappointed. The ice in our bucket was completely melted when we walked in the door, which was just pathetic and the "gift basket" itself was just not worth $60 - which included items that you could probably purchase down the street at the gas station. We ate breakfast at their restaurant once - we were the ONLY people in the restaurant and felt as though we were annoying the waitress by being there (we ate the rest of our meals at the Golden Acorn Casino - which had GREAT service, great food and unlike the LIve Oaks Restaurant - it was CLEAN!). The cabin itself was sooooooooooo dirty. There were cobwebs all over the place and we didn't feel comfortable walking around without socks on. The bed was REALLY uncomfortable and there were hardly any blankets provded - the pillows were as flat as paper. The in-room jacuzzi was really worn out...I was scared to even sit in it...there were no soaps or bath bubbles provided and the gas station nearby didn't sell any...soo much for our "romantic jacuzzi bath". The looked like it was falling apart...it had a shampoo/conditioner dispenser but NO shampoo/conditioner. Dust everywhere. Just gross and not romantic. We should have gone camping.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Santee, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I've never left a review for a hotel before and I have stayed in some cruddy places. I'm almost ashamed to admit we stayed last weekend here.... BUT we had to drink a lot of wine and were determined to have a great anniversary weekend no matter what. Never again. GROSS. Think about it, "pet friendly" means animals have been on the beds and have probably left more than fur. That would certainly explain some of the stains on the comforters and on the floor. Murder would also explain a few of the stains on the floor...

We really wanted to like the place, Jacuzzi and fireplace -how romantic right? Wrong. My wife said something about how difficult it must be to clean that tub and I laughed as I guarantee they haven't cleaned anything in the cabins for years. As we looked around, there were SO MANY little things not to mention several MAJOR things wrong that it must be cheaper at this point to simply start over. The place needed TLC 20 years ago. Now? The cabins need to be bulldozed and rebuilt.

You can hear your neighbors walking around and the bathroom vents must be connected at some point because you can hear them talking. How romantic. You won't want to walk on the carpet or bathroom floor. You won't want to take a shower. You won't want to sit on the beds not to mention sleep on them. Dirty. Gross. Nasty. The window coverings are dirty smokey paper thin sheets, no privacy. Our window in #3 had 10 BB holes shot in the window that I covered with squares of tape. I know how to make a fire and keep it from smoking but you can tell other guests don't know the trick so the cabin smelled of smoke. It isn't even a real fireplace, just a small freestanding unit wide enough for a duraflame log. Our heater worked ok, thank goodness, but the upstairs was so drafty it didn't retain any of the heat that rose up there. You can see sunlight and feel a draft through cracks around the doors, windows, heater and behind the bed. There is water leaking in the bathroom that needs to be wiped up a couple times a day so it is no shocker that the bathroom smells like mildew. Cobwebs, cigarette burns, dust, stains and graffiti bricks add to the decor.

Our first meal was a burger and plate of appetizers when we arrived and it was actually quite good but we were very hungry. Our breakfast the next morning wasn't very good at all. The hashbrowns smelled like they were fried in old grease and didn't taste good. The tap water didn't taste very good either. We had pizza for dinner and it was chef boyardee quality sauce and cheese but I did take the leftovers back to the cabin and ate it all. We wanted to like the food but decided that was enough and ate the rest of our meals at the casino down the road. The market down the road is handy but you won't want to buy more than you have to there. The products on the shelves are old and dusty and they actually had rotten produce sitting there for sale. I hope the "resort" doesn't get any of their supplies from that market. All the employees were really nice and we enjoyed talking with them but it doesn't make up for the conditions of the room. They seriously need to reinvest in these cabins as they are badly deteriorated.

Room Tip: Don't do it!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Oceanside, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

So long story short, floors creaky and wobbly, lights work sometimes and sometimes they don't. We started a fire in the little free standing fireplace and the smoke engulfed our room in minutes and we could not stand it. We had to put out the fire and open the door to the cabin to help the smoke leave. We tried the little heater in the wall but it did not work. We almost froze!! It was a VERY cold night!!! Tv worked but gets 3 channels and flickers of and on. I guess I could go on and on but why, Just don't go. I am sure it was quite the place 30 years ago, but it is torn and tattered at best. Needs a LOT of T.L.C. Sorry Noah, your a very nice guy, but really, it does not help the experience.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

My husbands and I stayed here in late July for our 1yr!!! and it was GREAT!!! Nice people, quie,t the perfect outdoors cabin experience.... We are hopping to take our children this December for some good snow but even with out it i know we will have a blast!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

I just visited last month(Aug.2011) with a few friends/family members and we had a blasttttt!
The service was more than I could ever ask for. Everyone running the resort is so nice!
IT FELT LIKE HOW A VACATION SHOULD ALWAYS BE hahah!
WHEN VACATIONING, I’M DEFINITELY NOT USE TO HAVING RESORT STAFF AROUND THAT ARE WILLING TO DO EVERYTHING IN THEIR POWER TO MAKE SURE YOUR EXPERIENCE IS A GREAT ONE AND ARE HAPPY TO DO IT, rather than thinking of it like another stupid task or something.
The cabins are so cute! ANDDD a BIG PLUS: they have A/C! thank goodness because it was pretty hot up there when I visited. They have kitchen in the units, a living room area, & we even had an upstairs loft! It was super neat!
Its located east on the 8 freeway. Right off the same exit as the Golden Acorn Casino. If you live in SD, it’s a nice little getaway that isn’t too far away but will still make you feel like you’re in a whole new world away from everything going on back home haha.
If you don’t feel like using the kitchen in the cabins, they have a restaurant, most likely only a few steps across the street from your cabin. We ate there most of the time and the food is DELICCCCIOUS!! so we HAD to meet the chef! and once again, just like all the employees there, the chef is as sweet as could be, too. Plus, he makes a mean meal :-)
I liked everything about this visit to Live Oak Springs. and when you’re there, don’t forget to try out the off Road Park located of the resort! We went for an hour or two but us ladies had never experienced motorcycles/quads so we were kind of wimps and decided to go eat lunch after those couple of hours.
HOWEVVERRRR, it was tons of fun so next time I definitely plan to take advantage of the track more & visit the Casino down the street for a little too!

Thanks
-Beckeee

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

I came with my fiance for a weekend trip. We went to Elevation off road park on Saturday during the day my fiance loved it and I had to beg him to leave. We ate at the restaurant, in the evening, it was really good. The rest of the evening was spent in our room with the fireplace going and relaxing the in jacuzzi...so romantic!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

My Husband and I always go here we Love the Country setting.. its a cozy little place to stay No phone, yeah!! fresh air, jaquzzi's, fireplace , customer service wonderful, restaurant is great. wonderful portions friendly people who work there.. we always tell our friends about this place and they love it too reservation are easy... We Love it there!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Live Oak Springs Resort? Share your experiences!