“WOW! What an experience.” 5 of 5 stars

+1 760-767-1232
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Exciting Day and Overnight Excursions in the amazing Anza-Borrego Desert aboard authentic military vehicles and vintage Jeep CJ7. Also, Wine Tasting Tours featuring a gourmet barbecue in the Julian Back Country. We are a contracted concessionaire of Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and a state-licensed passenger carrier.
Bedonia, Italy
“WOW! What an experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I just got back from a desert tour, riding in an authentic, off-road, ten wheel drive vehicle that took my breath away! We road through areas of this enormous, natural park that were for authorized people only, so we got to see many things that normal tourists wouldn't get to see, othewise. The panarama is incredible, the hospitality amazing and the overall experience...WOW!
I traveled with my thirteen year old son, who was psyched to be there, as I knew he would be, but more importantly...there were three young girls along for the tour with their folks. I think two were 9 and the younger one was 7. I couldn't believe how thrilled they were with everything; which just proved to me that...This adventure is for EVERYONE!

Visited February 2013

Port Washington, New York
“The Best Day in the Desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

WOW!!!!!!!! What else can we say about the California Overland Desert Excursions. We called while we were still in New York to book a day with Joe for when we were to be in Borrego Springs. There were no tours set for the time that we were to be there, but Joe took our number and said he would try his best to get something set up. He was a man of his word. While we were in Borrego Springs, he called us and had a trip ready to go. It was AMAZING!!!!! We started the day with one other couple at the Clark Dry Lake, had a great lunch in a slot canyon and finished the day driving through the badlands to Font's Point at sunset. Joe was an amazing guide. He has fabulous people skills and makes you feel so comfortable. He was very aware of his passengers in the truck as we rumbled along the dirt and sand roads, often asking us how we were doing along the bumps. He is a wealth of knowledge about the desert and is so eager to share it.The sights of the desert were illuminated by Joe's stories and information. He truly made the desert come alive and made the trip so fascinating and enjoyable. He runs a very professional company, where the needs of the guest is top priority. If you really want to get into the back part of the desert and experience a wonderful relaxing yet exhilarating day, you MUST spend the day with the California Overland Desert Excursions. It is worth your time and your money. Thank you Joe for a wonderful experience!

Sunnyvale, CA
91 attraction reviews
“What amazing fun!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I wish I could give him an even higher rating!! This tour was incredible. I have been on many tours all over the world and this is one of the best!!
We took a private tour and chose to do the wind caves and then drive through the badlands to see the sunset at Font's point! The scenery is just amazing. The major stop was the wind caves hike where we had lunch (cannot ask for a better view), but there were so many stops along the way. Joe, our tourguide and owner is incredibly knowledgeble in the geology, history, paleontology, plantlife, you name it, of the area, he knew it and is very enthusiastic about it - he obviously loves what he does, he loves the area and it shows. When he saw that my son was an amateur paleontologist he took us to see several fossil sites including the mammoth footprints and after we had gone emailed me about the local group that is taking volunteers for their digs (my son had shown an interest in this).
We will definitely be going back and going on another tour - the time went by so quickly and there is so much more to see!!

Plymouth Meeting PA
15 attraction reviews
“A new view of the desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I were in Anza Borrego for an orienteering meet with SDO. After 3 days of on foot hiking, we were ready to relax a little and look at the scenery instead of our maps. Our guide Johnny Cruzan was very friendly, informative, and talkative. Just right for a guide. He had loads of stories and information. California Overland was able to get us out on a tour with only a few hours notice. We were kind of unusual in that we had already seen a lot of desert on foot and had seen the pictograph trail and slot and fonts point. With a little more discussion, we might have gone a little further from the area we orienteered in. Next time we will come when the flowers are in bloom!

Kingston
4 attraction reviews
“Highlight of our Vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I decided to drive out to Borrego Springs to experience the desert for the first time. It was absolutely the highlight of our California vacation. Joe was incredibly accommodating. My husband found the ride a bit rough (he has a bad back and fused vertebrae) so Joe accommodated him and let him ride up front with him for most of our tour. The view from Fonts Point was breathtaking and the pictures Joe took of us there were excellent. Joe was very informative and took us places we could never have found on our own. Can't imagine going to the desert without taking this tour!!!