“Wonderful, tranquil escape” 5 of 5 stars

Join ABF Get 1 Free Night
Laguna Beach CA
“Wonderful, tranquil escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

The Inn went through a tough patch between Don and Mary, the original owners and the new owners, Rich and Gwenn. "Regulars" were appalled in the interim, but rest assured that Rich and Gwenn have taken the Inn back to the philosophy, hospitality and level of service provided by Don and Mary, and perhaps a bit beyond.

If you are looking for a low key place to relax for a few days, and do as little or as much as you want, this is the place. We tend to hike in the morning, and swim in the afternoon (or at least doze by the pool), but could be equally happy never leaving the property.

All comforts are anticipated and provided, from the comfortable chairs outside each room on the "veranda" to the private patios on the other side of each room, the thick towels (incuding pool towels), tour books, etc. Also, the soundproofing is quite effective, so the advent of TVs in the rooms (they arrived somewhere in the last five years or so) are not intrusive.

Be warned that if you intend to have dinner at Carlee's, reservations are now virtually necessary for dinner many nights.

• Liked — Comfort, attitude
  • Disliked — TVs in the rooms
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2007

My girlfriend and I spent an absolutely perfect weekend at the Borrego Valley Inn. Rich and Gwen (the new owners) were marvelous hosts, attentive without being intrusive. The room was immaculate, the bed and beddings most comfortable, and the large outdoor patio was perfect for stargazing.

Breakfast was excellent, with the option of delightful outdoor dining. Since daylight savings time went into effect the weekend we were there, Rich kept the breakfast buffet out for an extra hour or so, to accomodate those who forgot to change their clocks - a thoughtful touch.

I have enclosed a few photos to illustrate how the Southwest decor blends into the surrounding desert. All the ill-conceived changes implemented by previous ownership appear to have been rectified.

This place is not for everyone - no smoking anywhere on the premises, no pets, and not kid-friendly. All this makes it even more attractive to us. We will be back

• Liked — Quiet and tranquil
  • Disliked — A little pricey
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2007

This place is an absolute gem. The people who run it are interested in their guests' wellbeing without being obsequious. The facilities are gorgeous, peaceful, relaxing. It is an outstanding place to use as a base for exploring the surrounding Anza-Borrego Desert State Park with countless walks and hikes, and to unwind: at the pool, in front of the outdoor fireplace, sitting in front of your room and watching the sun set behind the mountains.

• Liked — clothing optional pool (+ regular pool)
  • Stayed March 2007
London UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2006

I am so glad I made the effort to make a return visit. The new owners are wonderful, they made such an impression on my parents, that they are planning to spend their golden anniversary there !!!!

• Liked — the owners add so much to the experience
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — expect to meet interesting people
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

This is a first-rate facility run by first-rate people.

My wife and I have visited this hotel three times in the last three years. The OLD owners were terrible. Rich and Gwenn, the NEW owners, are sublime.

In particular, the property is now very well maintained and upgraded with new bedding, furnature, etc. The innkeepers are very friendly--but not overly so--we certainly felt welcomed and appreciated.

We will definately go back.

Bring a telescope as the stars are amazing at night.

• Liked — The owners. They were great. The facility was in great shape.
  • Disliked — reservations need to be made well in advance because it is quite popular
  • Tips/Secrets — Reserve early. Plan on being your own entertainment. Adventure seekers will love it.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Visalia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2006

This place is a jewel. I won't get in to the saga of the previous owners, but want to say that the current innkeepers, Rich and Gwenne, are most hospitable, friendly, and sincere in their care.

The accomodations are wonderful with all the fluffy towels and robes one would expect in a fine resort. But what I love the most are the intimate scale of the facility, the right mix of private and common spaces, and the absolute serenity. As one sits under the loggia or by the pool, and looks at the nearby hills through the changing desert light, it is easy to fall under the spell of this place.

Rich likes to call it a "club without the obligation" and I agree. It really feels like you are staying at someone's home and you soon feel like family. Interesting guests, but nothing forced. It's as private as you want it to be. Sometimes people show up for breakfast in their pajamas and it's all good.

My wife and I stayed over the Thanksgiving holidays and left feeling relaxed, refreshed, and feeling like we had done something nice for ourselves. We travel a lot and I don't know of too many places like that.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

I just happened to be on Tripadvisor looking up a potential place to stay and thought I'd see what it had to say about this place--just for kicks. We've stayed at the Borrego Valley Inn many times in the past--under the old owners and the new owners. I guess I felt inclined to write a review because unlike some of these other reviews, I was there in the late spring and met the new owners. Yes, they seem nice and friendly enough, but I also very much liked the old owners. One thing I always appreciated was that Alison (one of the old owners) always remembered our names AND the names of our two golden retrievers. Unfortunately now with the new owners (and new attitude that their website boasts), they no longer accept dogs--a huge disappointment to many of us. Will it stop us from going? No, but it will make us visit less frequently as it was so convenient to be able to bring them along.

I've honestly always found the place to be very clean and tidy--both inside and out which is obviously why we frequently have stayed there. I guess I am unlike many travelers, in that, I do not stay at a specific inn or bed and breakfast because I like the owners--I go because I like the place. I'm not one that wants an innkeeper making small talk just to make me feel welcome--the Borrego Valley Inn has always been a place of peace and relaxation for my fiance and me; we also liked the size of the place which we felt was big enough (unlike many smaller B&Bs) that we could have our own space.

I will say that I called at the last minute to see if there were any rooms available for the 4th of July weekend--we had gone two years ago and it was sold out--we were lucky to get a room that time and despite the heat, we had a wonderful time. Anyway--I inquired on the phone if there were any special deals/packages going on for the weekend. The response I received put me off very much--the man stated that there were no specials or discounts and that the rates were somewhere between $170-$220 per night. So I pushed a bit more saying that he obviously still had rooms available and if he was willing to give me any discount and his response was "well, I suppose the best I could do would be to give you the room for FREE". I really just didn't know how to take that--I asked him if he was serious and he said "of course not". I then explained that I was sorry that he wasn't willing to negotiate a bit, but with the temperatures being in the 110 degree range in the desert I would have thought he would like to give people an incentive to come for a visit--not just "new owners, new attitude". Whatever that means. Well, needless to say, we did not stay over the 4th weekend. I'm sure we'll be back as we do love Borrego, but I'm just not sure when.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Borrego Valley Inn? Share your experiences!