“Lousy Dining Experience” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: 760-767-5713, m.janyves@att.net I ate here last night. It's a wonderful new place in Borrego. Terrific Belgian and French food. Mark Johnson bakio@yahoo.com
Long Beach, CA
“Lousy Dining Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

For some reason I thought that going to a French restaurant in Borrego Springs might be a delight, a strange experience, in a strange place, and somehow I thought I would partake in a very singular experience....don't let your imagination fool you.

The French Corner is off of Christmas Circle in the middle of town. It is a rustic and quaint little spot, and definitely is decorated nicely and appropriately. I took my two friends there for special occasion hoping that we would have a really great experience and delicious food. Not so.

First of all, we waited a total of twenty five minutes to even get our water. We were not spoken to by anyone from the staff for that entire time. No "we will be with you in a minute" or "we appreciate your patience", nothing. They just buzzed around us, with little acknowledgement. Finally we got some bread, that held us over for the rest of the wait to get menus. When they finally deigned to wait on us, we ordered the roasted chicken. When it finally arrived, it was dry and cold. It's as if it was sitting waiting for one of the wait staff to bring it to us for quite a while, which most likely was true. We did not enjoy our chicken, and given the price, I was extremely disappointed. I've had better chicken at KFC...I'm not kidding folks.

We left very disappointed, not just because the food was bad, but mostly because we had such high hopes for this place and we were so disappointed. You even need reservations to get in here. Unbelievable. The problem is that it is one of the few so called "nice" places to eat in Borrego Springs. Well I prefer the Red Ocotillo where I know I'll have to wait, but at least the food will be worth it.

One more thing, the attitude of the gentlemen that own the place is not welcoming, but rather stiff and formal, as if you were actually in Paris. Well you're not, you're in Borrego...let's get real.

• Visited October 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Palm Springs
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at The French Corner--the food and service were excellent. I would definitely return the next time we are in the area. I read comments about the wait--well we had reservations and were seated immediately.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, CA
“Two good experiences here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

I've eaten here, twice, and both times were a delight. Yes, the wait was long, but I thought that was part of the French experience. Once our food arrived it was superb on both occasions. This is an unusual desert outpost indeed. Worth a visit in my book.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
wisconsin
“Not worth the wait”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Had a 20 minute wait to order as the waiter
was gabbing and cozying up to another couple
who were obviously big spenders
We were desperate for a salad and soup after spending several
days eating camping food and neither of the above items was any better than you could get at Olive Garden.
Waiter is pretentious and NOT french. He's Belgian.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Escondido
“This is one French guy with a lot to learn from Julia Child.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

Just like Taco Bell satisfied the Mexican food cravings of people in the northern U.S. for decades, I guess this place hits the spot for people too long removed from fois gras and Sauternes. I love Borrego, but ever since the end of Casa Del Zorro, the smart move has been to save the haute cuisine for Palm Springs or SD. Good food beats gourmet wannabe like this anytime.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere