“Could be Top Notch but...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bodega Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
weston,ma
“Could be Top Notch but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

This lodge is located in a gorgeous location with indescribable views of the Pacific. We stayed in a "whirlpool room" with cathedral ceilings and nice furnishings. Loved the ability to blast heat just in the bathroom. Here were my issues: Check in was ridiculous. We arrived 40 minutes early and instead of checking us in to get our keys when available, we were told to wait until 4 or until they called us. I went back to the desk twice to see what our status was. At 4pm, there were 4 other couples in line and we checked in at 4:30. Ergh. Actually, I would have been very happy if they had simply had their wine reception earlier than 5 or at least, had tea and coffee available. Nevertheless, the front desk women were super nice. We had our 20 yo daughter with us and the lodge provided a uncommonly, uncomfortable cot. Time to upgrade! Would have been great to have a DVD player in room as we had brought a DVD we intended to watch. Dinner at the Duck Club was scrumptious but service was abysmal. Perhaps the kitchen was off but come on, 1 hour to wait for chicken? The biggest issue we had was spotty to non-existent cell service. When one has to be on call as a doctor and can't be reached, this is unacceptable. BBL needs to rally and get a cell tower in place near by! We drove all over the little town trying to find bars of reception!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
St Albans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We only had one night here but it was well worth the stay. The check in was quick and efficient with the lady giving us good information of local restaurants and things to do. We also had a glass of wine on arrival....always a bonus. Our room was HUGE, clean and had a lovely view. The bed was the most comfortable bed we had slept in and the log fire was lovely to have also, made it very romantic.

The breakfast in the restaurant has lots of choice and was delicious but huge portions!

It is expensive here, however for one or two nights it is worth it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was surprised by the quality of this property with the rates that are rather inexpensive. We loved the spa and the restaurant. The location is absolutely beautiful and manicured.

I can't say that the property is run-down, the rooms are a little outdated. But for a 3-star hotel, it did exceed my expectations.

Couple of negatives: one of bartenders at the outdoor lounge was rude for no reason and don't forget to pack earplugs as the nearby lighthouses goes non-stop through the night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

At $420 a night, I expected an experience worthy of this hefty price.

Here is what I got:
A booked a pacific coast double room. At check-in, I asked for the best view possible and the front desk girl offered first and second floor options. I reiterated again that I wanted the best view possible and the girl recommended the first floor. When we got to the room, all we could see is the building in front of us. I figured the view would get better the next day, but to no avail. The next morning, all we could see was the building in front of us, plus some swamps on the horizon, no ocean views at all. My friend did tell that the views are better from the second floor rooms, but then it makes me wonder, if the check-in girl purposely recommended me an inferior room, so that she can save the second floor room for someone else, as the hotel was 100% booked that night. Calling this room “A pacific coast double with amazing views of Bodega Bay and the Pacific Ocean” on the hotel site is a far, far stretch from reality. Whoever wrote that description must have been delusional, as there were no ocean views in our room. In addition, if you happen to arrive on a foggy day, I hope your creative imagination can do some magic for you and create the views you've been longing for when you booked this hotel, because most of the rooms will offer no ocean views, as it happened the next morning when we walked around the property and could not see any ocean views in sight.

When it comes to the property, it has this run-down feel to it, whether it’s the old furniture in the lobby or the rusty fence in the swimming pool or the not so clean hot tub. The gym room is very small and cramped and some of the equipment seemed aged. The wine reception in the lobby is a complete joke. Why do they even bother?! Being in the heart of Sonoma coast and offering such a limited selection of wine and a pathetic tray of cheap cheese, a few strawberries and grapes with some crackers, reminded me of some family-owned B&B property, not a $420 per night hotel. Also, when we arrived, the front desk seemed disinterested in us and we had to ask to be checked in. Furthermore, they gave us no recommendations on where to go, what to see, etc.
The room was spacious, the beds were ok. The bed linens seemed off-white like they have been washed way too many times and gave the room a cheap feel. The remote control on the TV was circa 1982 and it took a minute after clicking, for the TV to change channels. The shower head didn’t have enough pressure to wash off the shampoo and the shower door leaked the water to the floor outside. Overall, the décor in the room was nothing exciting or worth the price we paid. The carpet definitely needs to be stripped and changed, very old looking, where we didn’t dare walking without slippers on.

Now, the worst thing about the stay was the heater, where it was hard to adjust the temperature. I kept getting up all night, because I was too hot or too cold.
When I didn’t get any sleep and asked for a late checkout, the front desk guy said they only thing they could offer is a half-an-hour extension at 12 o’clock rather than 11.30. Seriously?! For $420 a night, I don’t even get 20-21 hours of stay that typical hotels would offer?! After pleading to the guy on the phone, he told me to call back at 10 and talk to the manager Lucy. However, when I called back at 10, I was not given an option to talk to her, but was told that he had already discussed it with the supervisor and all they could offer is a 12.30 checkout. The property didn’t seem that big to warrant a 4.5 hour window for their cleaning staff to clean the rooms. The worst check-in and check-out times ever.
The funny part was to see a cleaning cart all morning standing next to our room, blocking the entrance to our room and no cleaning staff to be found anywhere in the vicinity.

When we checked out, the front desk guy was cold and indifferent, no “I hope you enjoyed your stay”. Or “I hope to see you again at our property”. He couldn’t wait to check us out and send us on our merry way.

Don’t waste your money here, take your business elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I went here before heading into Sonoma & Napa. What a great way to experience the coast - reminded me of being in the Northeast. Was very relaxing and just what we needed to "get away from it all."

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Marshall, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Wow, what a beautiful resort! My wife and I stayed at Bodega Bay Lodge on September 10th. That morning, we finished our amazing night stay in Shelter Cove, CA and then enjoyed the beautiful drive down the coast to Bodega Bay. The check-in at Bodega Bay Resort was quick, and the staff was very kind and courteous. My wife and I only stayed here one night, but we enjoyed every minute of our stay. We enjoyed our peaceful and beautiful room and also enjoyed the luxuries of our room with robes, wine, chocolate, nuts and so very much more. What a delightful treat it was to open the closet door and find robes! My wife is in a power-wheelchair, and she found the large room and large bathroom very satisfactory. I definitely strive to not judge a book by its cover, but the cover won this time with the restaurant menu in our room for the restaurant at the resort - the menu didn't provide, at least for us, with a lot of options, and the prices were a bit high as well. I'm sure the restaurant is very good, but we chose to enjoy take-out seafood from a local seafood restaurant in town instead. Overall though, we loved our stay and can't wait to return the next time we're in Bodega Bay!

Room Tip: Stay here!