“Best meal in California” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Duck Club Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 24 Restaurants in Bodega Bay
Cuisines: Continental, Californian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Doran Park Road
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best meal in California”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was easily one of the best meals in our three week trip -
had both dinner and breakfast. Fish was amazing, the vegetarian entree and dessert too - every detail just right. Often the only restaurant at a hotel is overpriced and only as good as it has to be for captive audiences, but this was superior. The French toast at breakfast is a must

Visited December 2012

Auburn CA
“Time for Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Two mornings during our trip, we enjoyed breakfast at the Duck Club. I can recommend the Farmer's Country, and the Crab omelettes, also the Crab Benedict. Great smoothies and Pete's coffee. Friendly staff and a cozy fire. Enjoy!

Visited December 2012
Torrance, California
“The Jury is Still Deliberating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Let me start by saying that I LOVE Bodega Bay and the Bodega Bay Lodge-- and though I've been going to both for many years before The Duck Club was even in existence, until this past October, we had never gotten around to trying it. It was an impromptu decision on our part, the night of the third Presidential debates and the World Series. The hostess seemed a bit put out when we arrived sans reservation, never mind that it was off-season and the dining room less than half full. And though I'd been in the room back in the days before the restaurant officially was a restaurant (back in the days of Free Continental Breakfasts), I couldn't quite shake the image of a hotel buffet quite out of my head. It's a pleasant enough room with a fireplace and a killer view, but there was something slightly lacking in the atmosphere that I wasn't quite able to pinpoint. No music? Acoustics? I'm honestly not sure-- but, much as Bodega Bay Lodge has been my home away from home for over thirty years, The Duck Club was not. Or, at least it was not as a first impression. I'm not ruling it out just yet.

The food is good, you see. And though I'd hoped to see a bit more by way of local seafood, there's certainly something on the menu for just about anyone (unless you were looking for grilled cheese and burgers.) There was duck, chicken, fish, steak and pasta to be had that night. The poblano and chicken soup de jour had me licking my spoon despite my husband's insistence that the fog chowder was even better. I eschewed the Liberty Duck breast in favor of pan roasted halibut which seemed to be accompanied by a lovely winter root sort of hash or stuffing. I managed to steal a taste of the pan-seared duck breast off my husband's plate and found it to be succulent and flavorful, served atop a smear of a rich and slightly sweet reduction, accompanied by asparagus, basmati rice and mango chutney. For dessert, we opted to split a marionberry fruit crisp, which was paired with a lavender ice cream. The entire meal was well prepared, the wine list was fine, our server was a nice guy and the spacing of the meal was pleasantly relaxed (we usually ask servers to take their take and space out courses.)

The food and service at The Duck Club is way too good for me to give this a negative rating-- but there's that inexplicable something about the atmosphere which prevents me from rating it as highly as I might. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the food and we'll no doubt be back again in the future, but for the time being I just can't place it at the top of my list of places I long to visit again.

Visited October 2012
El Dorado Hills, CA
“Above and Beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My sister and I thoroughly loved our food, as well as top notch service, at this restaurant and resort. Alex called us by name continually, and truly cared that we felt valued and taken care of. Food was excellent, reasonably priced, and we were aware that everyone seated around us were treated the same...with heart. We are deeply grateful and look forward to returning. The warmth of thefireplace and Fred Benedetti on Pandora in backround topped off our most memorable experience.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great dinner in a fabulous venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had dinner here during a recent stay, and was very satisfied with the food, service, and view. The cod was light, firm and tender, just wonderful! Would highly recommend this restaurant and lodge.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere