“Our decadent hideaway.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa

You added Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa to your Saves list
Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   16702 Coast Highway One, Bodega, CA 94922 (Formerly Sonoma Coast Villa Inn And Spa)   |
Special Offer
Holiday Package
Ranked #2 of 2 Bodega B&B and Inns
Walnut Creek, California, United States
“Our decadent hideaway.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We set out for a weekend getaway to Bodega Bay without any reservations. We drove past this place, looked good, stopped in and met Johannes from Austria. He had room #17 available and I had a look. I reported back to my sweetie that we were "defiantly staying here but that it looked like there wasn't anything to do here," which turned out to be a good thing. The room was the bomb! Huge, cozy, I didn't want to wonder off and find things to do, stay in with sweetie, smoke my first joint bought with my new medical marijuana card, the salmon dinners we ordered were brought to our room, blew us away how amazingly wonderful they tasted along with the pinot noir supplied in the fridge, a huge piece of cheese cake while we watched the flames from our real wood fire insert, jazz music from the CD's left in the room, then the huge private Jacuzzi was full and we jumped in, careful not to pass out. Tranquility and sleep. Breakfast was served at 9am with Mozart music in the background. Bring your check book, but so worth it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jonh H, Manager at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Scott,
We truly appreciate the positive feedback that you provided. It always great to hear about the relaxing visits our guests have with us. We will make sure to let Johannes see the great review you've written. Please keep us in mind the next time you’re in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I don't usually leave reviews, but I wanted to make sure to give positive feedback about the Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa. My girlfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights with a groupon and felt it was an amazing value. The included dinner, intimately set up in our room on white linen, was bursting with so much flavor we ordered it again on our 2nd night. Johannes is a talented chef. As many have commented here, he is a busy man who wears many hats on the property. And although this forced him to be fast paced, we felt he accommodated us very well. The room, #15, was very cozy and clean. My girlfriend can be very picky so receiving her apporval speaks volumes. Overall, our expereince was nothing short of spectacular and we look forward to going back in the near future!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jonh H, Owner at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Joe,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such a great review. We work very hard to go above and beyond our guests expectations to make they enjoy their stay when they visit it. We are very pleased to hear that you and your girlfriend will be returning again in the future. We look forward to seeing you again!
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

First let me say that for my wife and I this was truly a wonderful week's stay and for us this deserves the EXCELLENT rating. I also must say that having now read many of the other reviews I completely understand many of the things commented on both good and bad. The "Local Hero" reference is appropriate to a point in that we witnessed the owner check us in, show me our room, offer to carry our bags, bring in firewood to our room, set the firewood in the fireplace, prepare breakfast, and bus tables. He mentioned cutting the grass and we know that he prepared dinners. What he did not do however, was ever make us feel welcomed. In many ways we felt as intruders and it seemed at times that he would have been just as happy if we were not there.
I do not think that he is rude as much as he lacks the personal touch characteristics one would expect in an establishment such as this. Again, as someone commented elsewhere, perhaps he should think about hiring someone with more "people" skills to be the face of the property and he continue to do what he does best.
Our room was fantastic! We had Room # 4 and besides the California King bed we had a very large stone fireplace that was kept ready to go each and every day of our stay. Again, we only got to peak into the other rooms but all the rooms seemed spacious and the property itself was well manicured, clean and quite beautiful.
The property was kept very clean and as we hung out in our room a couple of days we were present to see the time and detail the cleaning staff put into our room.
The daily breakfast was quite nice and there were subtle changes each morning to the freshly made hot dish.
There were drawbacks, which to us were not a big deal at all while to others it seems to have been responsible for there not so glowing reviews.
Before reading any reviews the first comments my wife and I had were that we had this ying and yang response to everything. Despite a very nice web site with directions we were unable to locate the property on our GPS unit despite trying several different addresses. We were able to get close but especially arriving at night, this caused a bit of confusion. We came in through Bodega and when we got to CA-1 we did not know which way to go. We guessed correctly but still had difficulty finding the location each night when we returned.
Our couch was covered with a cotton fabric that could easily be removed to be washed. Ours had a small cut in it but this seemed like a practical cleaning solution not a what was he hiding situation.
Our bathroom was large and it would have been nice to have a tub as I understand some of the other units had, but this was not a big deal at all. The shower was large and comfortable but the shower head was quite simple. I would have expected something more. In fact the whole bath room just felt like it needed some updating. Everything was clean, intact and working. The towels were also fine but several were more frayed than one would have expected for this property.
There is no ice in the room and no ice machine as far as we could tell on the property but the first night we asked for ice and the owner brought it too us (very promptly). However his lack of warmness led us not to ask again as it felt like an inconvenience.
As mentioned previously the cleaning staff was quite detailed and thorough but spoke as little English as I did Spanish. Trying to get a trash bag was an effort rather than a simple request but now I know where the laundry was done.
The breakfast for us was wonderful. I don't care how my coffee is served as long as there is coffee. I don't particularly like my coffee to be hot and usually have to put ice in it to get to a temperature that I like. Here I could drink the coffee as soon as I filled my cup.
There was always fresh fruit, yogurts, milk , cereals and as mentioned above a warm quiche or frittata. The pastries were a mixed bag. I had some cheese Danish that was fresh out of the oven warm while the croissants and bagels seemed to be a few days into staleness.
The dining room was beautiful and comfortable yet several of the table clothes had small little holes in them.
The owner as far as we could tell never promoted his cooking or dinner. We had to ask. We did not partake for two reasons. The first is that usually on vacation we like to drive around and never quite know when we will return and usually having dinner where we are staying is not an options. We tend to eat hamburgers, pizza, and Chinese food which is what we did on this trip. The second was that as the owner was not all that warm and fuzzy we did not feel that he deserved any more of our money whether or not the food was delicious as I am sure it was or worth the price as I think it did.
Again, we did not partake of the massage though again, if we did not already know about it one would not have any clue that this was an option and frankly I am not sure if it was an option all the days of our stay or not.
We wanted a week away from work, cold, snow and stress. We found a beautiful location that clearly felt closer to Tuscany than to California. We were able to relax, sleep in, eat a wonderful breakfast each morning and unwind with a wonderful wood burning fire each evening along with a HD television.
The only noise was from the owl we heard each morning and the occasional wheels rolling by from suitcases.
We were able to book our week through an auction site so in addition we felt that we definitely got our money's worth.
I agree that paying $8 for slippers is silly so we did not use them. There were no hidden expenses and the prices for things like the slippers was clearly indicated.
We never did meet or see the owner's wife and we did travel in off season (thought the place seemed packed for the weekend that we were there).
There are little things that can be done to make this even better but I think the common theme of the personal interaction is one that is important.
I had even tried to post during our stay hoping that this might get him to interact with us more. It did not seem to help and thus I withdrew my previous shortly review in order to write this longer one.
This is a great place to get away, relax and either hang out or explore the beautiful area nearby. We would definitely return and based on the reviews would want to try dinner at least one night.
Finally, my wife is one of those people where complete strangers come up to her and share their most personal information. We have stayed at other B and B's and have seriously considered running one ourselves. Our daughter is studying hotel management, In trying to get some conversation going she asked how he had gotten into running this property. "Its a business opportunity" was his reply.
Maybe so, but this business is one in customer service and most of us expect some warm and fuzzy and thus I can understand many of the comments previously stated.

Finally, Do not miss a sunset at Bodega Head only a short drive away around Bodega Bay and bring something warm to wear and definitely a camera!

Room Tip: The ones by the pool all are very nice but so are the rooms in the back and they are not too far awa...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Greenbrae, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our lovely stay at the Sonoma Coast Villa. Our room was charming with a cozy feel. The hotel proprietor, Johannes, who also serves as receptionist, bellhop, waiter, and concierge is also a chef-extraordinaire - 5-star quality. Breakfast is inclusive, and it was a wonderful spread, but we also dined there both nights because we were so blown-away by the exquisite meal we got the first night. We used a GroupOn promotion so we really felt we got tremendous value. We are already planning to return for another get-away from the Bay Area in the fall.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jonh H, Manager at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and comments, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay and our services
We hope to see you soon in our beautiful Resort and Spa
San Leandro, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

This isolated place will fulfill your dream of peace and quiet. It will not fulfill anything else, however. It is vastly overpriced for the offering. My room was very small and outdated, still sporting 1980's Southwest pink and sage green colors and bathroom amenities. The sink was not just old, it was groady, scarred and dirty looking. The spa bathtub was very deep, and the grouting connecting it to the Home Depot shower stall was moldy. Although Home Depot slate-like tiling had been added to the floor throughout the room, no care was taken to have the joinder of floor and wall be smooth or free of grout stains. There were three Home Depot rugs thrown around the room. There was not a single comfortable place to sit in the entire room--instead of one comfortable chair, there was a cheap garden wicker settee with a worn out cushion. There was no springs and mattress for the bed, only a worn out mattress on a plywood platform. The pillows were flat and worn out.
I really wanted to like this place--it advertised everything I was looking for. But it is not on the coast, but on the inland side of Highway 1. There is not even a coastal view. The pretentious gates give the initial impression of a French country villa, but that impression ends quickly. The owner/host/chef, Johannes, was rude to me from the moment I telephoned to get directions. There is no cell phone service, no car GPS service. Since the address is a pretentious "Coast Highway" rather than Highway 1, I ended up in Bodega Bay rather than south of Bodega between it and Glen Ford, which is where the place is located. The response to my request for directions, "Well, clearly you need to turn around and come down Highway 1 for four miles." Not an auspicious beginning.
The advertised wine tasting daily from 5:30-6:30 is just that. Johannes arrays 4-6 bottles of wine he bought at a grocery store and you can point to whichever one you'd like him to pour. He knows nothing about any of the wines (because, as I later discovered at the supermarket, he has just bought them from the wine aisle there), and when asked, said, "a goal of a wine tasting is you taste and find what you like." Huh?
Johannes is supposedly the chef. Dinners at this place are, officially, served in the dining room where breakfasts are served, but they really want all guests to eat dinner in their rooms. You order what you want and the time you want it, and it arrives on a big tray. When I asked for information about the daily selections, Johannes superciliously responded that he only used the freshest and most local of ingredients. Okay, but my question was, did the red snapper look better than the salmon today, or would he recommend the lamb? Johannes was rude about this, refusing to provide any information at all about the prix fixe meal he was proposing that I spend $45 to eat. After the wine experience, this was too much, and I did not eat any of Johannes' cooking. Perhaps it was my loss, but I suspect I made the right choice.
Breakfasts are beautifully displayed, all bakery goods, old cereals, fresh and canned fruits, etc. Each day there was a quiche or frittata served, which Johannes may have prepared. Otherwise, there was nothing in the breakfast that was not store-bought. Coffee is served in a pump decanter, and was only lukewarm each morning.
The inexplicable rudeness of the owner, coupled with the pretentious setting but cheap or outdated details make this place a poor choice for value. Who wants to be subjected to a rude and arrogant owner? Most of the guests were young couples when I stayed--if this is the demographic Johannes has targeted, it explains the pretension and the Home Depot details. I would never stay there again, and I certainly won't recommend it to any of my friends and clients.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the rooms overlooking the small pool--from the glimpse I got of the interiors, the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Jonh H, Owner at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Sorry to hear that you had difficulty finding us. Sonoma Coast Villa and Spa has been in business since 1976 and as advertised we are 5 miles from the coast. We apologize for your less than satisfactory experience as our guest. We always aim to exceed the expectations of our guests to ensure that they enjoy their stay and it appears as though we fell short. Thank you for being honest but we’d like to clear up a few things. Our buildings have been designed with Tuscan style with 18 Villas and Suites, and the driveway has been planted with 24 Mission Olives Trees, which is the concept of Tuscany. The room you rented has a country room with a fireplace, a queen size bed and radiant floor heating. All of our rooms have a dining table with chairs and a private patio with two chairs. The wine tasting is complimentary from 4:30 to 5:30 pm. We do offer a selection of wine from the Sonoma area because as a license of the ABC we have to pay wines from distributors and wineries directly. However, we will use your observations as a way to improve our facility and to make sure our guests always receive a 5 star experience. We are disheartened to hear that you will not be returning as our guest but we wish you the best of luck and safe travels!
Petaluma, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

After a protracted business trip on the East Coast, followed by hosting a long term house guest this summer, I needed a break. So I booked a room close to home at the Sonoma Coast Villas and Spa hoping for a bit of peace and quiet. And that is exactly what I got. The Villa is located just a few minutes from Bodega Bay, but is tucked away from the main road. My room had a private deck that opened to pathways, a small putting green and a beautiful fountain. It is a contemplative place. Walk the property. Enjoy the greenery. Book a massage at the spa. This is a place for retreat and rest.

If you've ever seen the film, "Local Hero," you will smile at this reference. The host is also the bellboy, the waiter, the concierge, and the receptionist. I perish the thought that he may have also been the cook. The meal was delicious, but overpriced. $50 per plate for a salad, simple entree, and cocktail. Not worth it. You can do much better in Bodega or even visiting some of the finer restaurants of Petaluma.

But splurge on the spa. The masseuse was attentive and amiable, and the massage wonderful. It began with my feet dipped in a basin of warm water infused with herbs and flower. The getaway did exactly what I had hoped. It renewed my sense of balance and restored my energy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Jonh H, Manager at Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for your comments and feedback
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay.
Yardley, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Sonoma Coast Villa and Spa. The grounds and property are very picturesque. The restaurant is a nice option for an evening where you have little time, but a little pricey on the wine, and the breakfasts are a tasty and relaxing way to start a leisurely day. We were there to visit the wine country and it was about an hour's drive to the towns we wanted to visit. If were to do it over again - I would find a place closer to Napa or Sonoma. However, we did enjoy the drive up the Sonoma Coast and through the Russian River Valley. We wouldn't have taken that scenic drive if we hadn't stayed at Sonoma Coast Villa and Spa.

Room Tip: We loved our room in the back of the property. It was so quiet, I was really able to relax and catch...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
WE are glad that you had a quiet and relaxing time

Thank you for your comments!

Been to Sonoma Coast Villa & Spa? Share your experiences!