“Nice hotel close to the Redwoods” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay & Play
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blue Lake
New Yorj
“Nice hotel close to the Redwoods”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The hotel was nice and better than expected for a pretty low price. The room was very clean and large. They also give you many vouchers for food and slot discounts when you check in, so it made eating on the property very reasonable. The casino is small by Vegas standards, and mostly slots. I like slots, so I was happy. Overall, I would recommend staying here if you are int he area.And the pool is fine, but it is essentially in the parking lot which was a turn off for me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
oakland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

A new facility. Large rooms, decent décor. Excellent pool and good family atmosphere. On site restaurant and bar. Staff in bar were either incompetent, or just not happy to be working there. Meaning service was poor. When I told the front desk the internet was poor at best, he didn't seem really concerned. Other than he'll report it. And then he told me I possibly should have moved into the lobby where it probably worked better. it would have helped if they told me that when I checked in. For families, probably great. For business travelers, it was missing some things like refrigerators, reliable internet that this business traveler has grown accustomed to. My guess is they could use some good hotel management expertise that would bring it up to speed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed here during HSU graduation, so the room rates were high. We have previously stayed at three other properties in Arcata, and we think this is the best value.

The property is fairly new. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, although some construction defects are apparent. In our room, the floor was not level, and the drywall corner bead was separating from the wall. On the other hand, we had the quietest room in the hotel, as it did not adjoin another room.

Other reviewers have commented about the front desk staff. This is the busiest weekend of the year, and they should staff the front desk to handle the demand. Unfortunately, they did not, so the desk staff was trying to wait on a line of guests, answer phones, and direct other staff to meet guest needs. Under the circumstances, they were probably not at their best. While not quite rude, they weren't personable or friendly.

We did not have a problem with rowdy guests, although some of the other guests that we spoke to indicated that there were some problem guests on other floors. Again, it seemed that staff was spread too thin to effectively handle problems. I suspect that if you stayed some time when the hotel was not 100% full, the service might be better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
glendale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

When I called recently to make reservations, the reservation desk phone kept ringing and ringing - no answer. Then I called back and told the operator and he said the person who takes reservations was on a break and he told me to call back(!) Very strange. Anyway, my husband and I have stayed here several times because we have family in the area and this is a new and conveniently located hotel. The rooms are spacious (especially the bathrooms) and clean however the walls seems to be paper thin because you can hear the slightest noise in the adjoining room. I appreciated the two bottles of spring water in the room. On arrival and departure the front desk staff are monotone and brisk. Upon check out no one asked how we enjoyed our stay. It was "sign here" and be on your way basically.

Room Tip: If your room overlooks the parking lot you will hear noise from people arriving and leaving and some...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Spring Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel twice in the past month. Great rooms---very clean. There is a problem however with some of the "guests". We were in a room with an interior door between 2 rooms. Even though this is a non-smoking hotel, there was smoke pouring under the shared interior door. The group in that room were rowdy and loud---a lot of coming and going, loud music and (bad) singing. It continued all night, we did not feel safe in calling the front desk, so waited until morning. They did move us to another room, but we had to give up our balcony room, so the cretins next door could keep theirs. I realize this is a casino hotel and they probably don't want to anger the people spending money at the machines, but this is a real downside---not sure I'd stay there again. The hotel's comment was---"it's quieter on week days"

Room Tip: The desk said the "quietest" rooms are on the 4th floor----but that was where we were stay...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Shelton, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

There was at first a really nice feel with our room but as we started to settle in, the room was not worth the 117$ we paid for one night! The bathroom was very roomy which was nice compared to other hotels we had been in on our trip. The thin walls was an unpleasant surprise and pot being smoked in a room very close to ours was very distastefully tolerated by the staff! The morning local paper outside our door was nice but didn't excuse the leaky coffee pot that made a mess of some of our things. I called down to report it and they could have cared less to try and get us our morning cup of joe. Will never stay here again.

Casino: was ok, not great by any means. We lost our comp$ in less than 2 min and we decided to spend our money on a good dinner instead of gambling any more on very limited machines.

Food: I can not remember the name of the one we ate at but it was fabulous! Their sushi was very good and my husbands meal was good I assume since he polished it off in record time.

Again, pricey for the size of the place and I was not left with a good impression other than the food is worth the stop.

• Stayed March 2012
Eureka, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I love this place. The hotel is nice. Karaoke thursdays and sundays. Awesome promotions. Some security issues, as in they like cutting drunk people off, but thats ok. A must do if you are visiting the area.

Room Tip: get an odd numbered room for a balcony
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Blue Lake Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!