“I had to pay NOT to stay here” 1 of 5 stars

Vagabond Inn Bishop
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1030 N. Main St, Bishop, CA 93514   |
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Bishop
san diego
“I had to pay NOT to stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I literally walked into a room here and walked out. Where to begin? Old school, little rabbit eared tv and rusted, barely working airconditioner wall unit chugging loudly and ineffectively away. Dingy furniture, nasty smell, NO bedspread or comforter on bed (why, I ask is that)? A rather suspicious stain on the carpet. Sign next to room says that there are cancer causing agents on premise-that's conducive to a great night's sleep for me!
So, I went to the front desk and informed the woman behind the desk that the room was unacceptable and that we wouldn't be staying. She said that since it was after 3pm (it was almost 4pm) I was not going to get a refund for the room. The whole time she's hammering me about "what's wrong with the room"? I was trying to be polite as there were other guests in the lobby, but she kept at me with "what's wrong with the room"? I said, "I'm sorry if this causes a problem for you". This charmer actually said to me "No, you're not". That's when I decided I would list the room's faults for everyone in the lobby to hear. And then I left for the Whiskey Creek Inn down the road. I'm very glad I did! it was clean, nicer pool and jacuzzi and the staff was helpful and civil. I had to pay 79 bucks NOT to stay at the Vagabond. It was worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
cambridge
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Was there for one night. This place was not new, but you can tell the owner is taking good care of this motel. Clean enough. Very friendly atmosphere. The front desk lady is nice and friendly. The pool is big enough to enjoy. Free coffee, soft drink, popcorns and etc. anytime. Free wi-fi, 10% discount for Denny's right next door. Vons right behind the motel. I'd definitely stay again if I go to Bishop.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Oslo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We really enjoyed our short stay here. Very friendly welcome, comfortable, well-equipped room, good, central location just off the main road. The breakfast was decent, but VERY busy when we went down (around 8.45-9am, I think) - we had to stand for a while until we eventually got some seats. The receptionist told me it had been quiet earlier, but there's often a rush at around that time. Free popcorn.
Pool area pleasant, quiet, well-kept.
No problem parking.
The only small problem was that we also (as others have noted) had some ants in the room. No big deal for me, and I appreciate that it must be a difficult problem to deal with, but it would be better if they were not there...
All in all, despite thos two problems, pretty happy with our stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Friendly frontdesk, nice outdoor pool & room. We were located on the upper floor. You also get a discount at denny's which is located right next to it. There is free popcorn too! All in all a very nice stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Corona, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

A welcome place to stay after a couple bad places, the Vagabond was clean, great staff, quick & easy registration and check out. Free popcorn in the lobby, and a light breakfast in the morning, get there early, lots of guests showed up for the breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Upon arrival the room appeared very clean, once settled we noticed tiny black ants in various spots,....by morning we had an infestation. One of the empty glasses on night table and all our food in the room fridge was crawling with them. When I showed the girl at front desk the glass full of ants she said "ya, we've had a problem with them this year". No compensation of any kind was offered. This was room 213...they are suppose to be spraying it....

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Desert Hot Springs, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

My husband, dog, and I traveled 1200 up the 395 and back. We stayed at the Vagabond on the way up. The room was so small, and the price way over $100. It was very disappointing. Try the Motel 6. It was a great experience and resonably priced.

Room Tip: You can do better.