“Best Place EVER!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cardinal Village Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bishop
Cardinal Village Resort
321 Cardinal Road, Bishop, CA 93514   |
Seattle, Washington
“Best Place EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We have stayed here in this vintage gold-mining settlement turned cozy-cabin retreat over the years many times and have only experienced amazing hospitality, cool scenery, lovely memories, great hikes, fantastic cafe breakfasts, and so much more! This is THE place you'll get the best hamburger you've ever tasted! The rustic cabins are full of character, charming windows and perfect, cozy rooms. Best place to take kids, or hide away in a romantic one-room cabin. Love the potential for multiple family gatherings and quiet fishing spots, horseback rides, and your own fire pit. Amazing, sweet, rustic, charming!

Room Tip: We've been in almost all of the cabins. Tell your needs when you call and they'll suggest t...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Yorba Linda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Kinda lengthy, but hope it helps. I have been traveling throughout the Eastern Sierras ever since I was in my Moms belly. It is a very special place for me and my family, in fact we named our son after the main town in the valley, (yes we are a little nutty and no it’s not Mammoth!). Anyway, we had planned on camping but with temps in the 20s at night, we (my wife, daughter [4], and son [1]) decided it was best to have a little more substantial shelter than a tent. After much debate we settled on Cardinal Lodge. Having passed it literally hundreds of times (driving and hiking) I knew the location was awesome. We stayed in the two bedroom "Moonlight" cabin. It was, as the plaque stated on the wall, built in 1906 and used as a bunkhouse during the Mining days of the lodge. Situated no more than 20 feet from Bishop creek (caught a nice 10" trout right in front), with a small meadow all our own, the location was to die for. Bishop and I took an early morning walk to the nearby waterfall coming out from North Lake above, and Gianna loved fishing in their private pond. The service was great as well. Everyone was nice, made us feel welcome and they even let us borrow a highchair from the restaurant for Bishop. Out front, we had a fire pit, Weber charcoal grill, picnic table, and chairs on a level gravel bed about 15ft square with a nice porch to sit under next to the cabin. Inside, the cabin was, well, I guess rustic would be the word to describe it. Really, it just seemed kinda old, not dirty though (as I recall, my first comment to Janelle was that it was down right dumpy). There were two bedrooms separated in the middle by a living/dining room. The kitchen is kinda squeezed in the the back of the cabin. One room had a queen sized bed and the other has two twins. Janelle and I took the queen bed, which was adequate, in that it didn't prevent sleep (Bishop did that), but not super comfy either. The twin beds in the other room however looked like torture devices. They must have been left overs from the bunk house days, with squeaky old school springs and thin mattresses. One was like being in a hammock! Gianna had the room too herself since Bishop was with us, and the bed was actually perfect for her. It bowed just enough in the middle that it kept her from rolling out (it was 4.5 feet high!) yet she was as cozy as a bug. For a grown up sized person though, I think it would be a back breaker. The kitchen was fine, though the dishes, glasses and silverware were all miss matched and there was only one large plate (not a problem since we used paper plates anyway). The bathroom was kinda dingy,again, not dirty just old, but everything worked as it should. The heater did its job well, though it is a beast that is fully exposed so we had to be diligent with the little one. One other thing of note was the cabin seemed to be sinking on one side. Literally, one half of the cabin was sloped a good six inches. it was like walking on a roof. Bishop was just learning to walk at the time and he would glide sideways like a drunken sailor (quite funny looking back now). All in all we had a great time and like I have mentioned, everything worked as it should. We paid over $200 a night to stay there and, really, that seems like too much for the condition of the cabin. I am conflicted here, because the location couldn’t be more perfect, and despite the old, dingy feel to it, everything worked fine, we had a great time and would consider staying again. I would definitely recommend it, just know that you will pay for the location and don’t expect the Ritz. What you can expect is breathtaking scenery, clean mountain air, friendly staff and who knows, since I released the fish I caught, you may catch dinner right out your door.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We spent two nights in the Bottleneck cabin last summer. First, the good - the setting was AMAZING - very private, surrounded by aspen, creek running a couple feet from the cabin. The bad - well, I was expecting no frills (it's the cheapest cabin at $85, and has no bathroom - and the owners are straightforward on the phone and website about what to expect), but good lord, those mattresses were awful. We're talking 30 year old summer camp mattresses. If I return to that cabin I'll bring my own sleeping pad. Their other cabins are out of my price range at $200+, so I can't comment on their condition. The pancakes at the restaurant are legendary, and worth a trip even if you don't stay the night there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Ridgecrest, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I've spent lots of time at Cardinal Village Resort. It is a great place to experience a beautiful setting and to get a great meal at the Cardinal Cafe. Dinner is served on Monday and Tuesday nights where you can sit on the deck with a view of Cardinal Peak and experience a fun, relaxing meal. They serve the best ribs I've ever eaten! (You may want to call ahead and make a reservation because it is a popular place with limited seating).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Reno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

In our first visit to the resort we stayed in the newest of the cabins named, "Hungry Packer", it was VERY comfortable and clean with a nice western decor. On our second visit we stayed in a 1906 rustic cabin named, "Topsy Turvey", which has been recently painted and redecorated. It's a darling cabin with fishing memorabilia, new granny quilts, gingham curtains, and great ambiance as well as being very comfortable . The Cluff's are a lovely family with three sons, two dogs, a kitten, and chickens. It's a peaceful place to wake up in the morning.

Room Tip: Request either of these cabins.
Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Coleraine, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

My family & I were delighted with our stay at Cardinal Village. We loved the retro nature of the old gold miners cabins, the back to basics rustic feel.

The hospitality of Ken & ShaleAnn was a significant part of our experience there, kinda feel like extended family now!

The mountains, lakes and scenery are breathtaking and the activities like canoeing, hiking and horse riding are second to none.

The only reason we ended up in this part of California was because I was playing a gig there (I'm a singer/songwriter from Ireland) and we fell in love with this 'hidden jewel' of an area.

Look forward to going back sometime!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Bishop, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

We are so lucky to live in Bishop, CA... it means we can drive up to Cardinal Village Resort for a yummy pancake (they're huge!) breakfast or a fabulous cheeseburger lunch! You won't want to miss this place... whether it's driving up from Bishop for a meal, or wanting a place to stay while you're fishing. Good atmosphere, great people, fantastic views!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Cardinal Village Resort? Share your experiences!