“Roaches and very shabby room. Very disapointed with La Quinta!” 1 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn Bishop - Mammoth Lakes
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   651 North Main St, Bishop, CA 93514   |
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Bishop
SoCal
“Roaches and very shabby room. Very disapointed with La Quinta!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

My son and I recently stayed at the Bishop La Quinta Inn on a fishing/camping trip to the Eastern Sierras. We had stayed here at this motel last year and were very pleased with the accomodations and the very clean and compfortable room. However this last stay was very disapointing, I wonder what is going wrong here?

First of all the downstairs room we stayed in was very shabby, not something that I expect from a La Quinta Inn. The carpet had stains on it, the walls needed fresh paint and the plaster on the bathroom walls were in bad repair (poor patch job around the tub). But despite the shabby room, we decided to stay because we were basically only spending the night (checking in around 9PM and out before 5AM) leaving early the next day to go fishing. However upon waking up at 4:30 AM and turning on the bathroom light, I was disgusted to find several roaches scurrying out the door. And these were large roaches, so there must be many more in the hotel.

Well, since we had already spent the night and were looking forward to a great day of fishing, we just left but decided to call the managment on my return back through Bishop the next week. I was hopeful that a major chain like La Quinta would at least offer us an adjustment to our rate, or a voucher for another stay on a subsequent date and an apology. Plus I also figured the managment would really like to know of the insect problem so that it could be corrected.

So I called and spoke with the manager (Oscar) and he apologized and offered to refund me 15% off my room cost. Well first of all, 15% would have been appropriate just because of the shabby condition of the room, but given that they have a roach problem; the room should have been either reduced by half, or even completely refunded in my opinion. I figured they should make this situation right, but instead the manager only offered the excuse that other people have since stayed in the room and nobody complained. He also suggested that no matter what he did, I would "probably never stay there again. " What a terrible attitude to have to a retuning customer is all I can say. Plus we enjoyed our last stay here, and I know a roach when I see one, so I didn't appreciate the suggestion that I was making the incident up. I can assure you that this is not about getting a 'free room'. I had no problem with the $100 price of the room, and like I said, my last stay here was excellent, so I don't know what is going wrong here now. I believe this motel is normaly a good value for the location (other major chain motels next door and across the street go for at least $40-50 more per night) but it should carry the quality that comes with the La Quinta name. But at this point I can only say, "You're experience may vary so be advised"... mine was not very good, and why I wanted to share this incident here at TripAdvisor.

In the event that someone from La Quinta contacts me (as I did leave my name and number with the manager) and attempts to make this situation right again. I will add that information here. However, my assuption at this point is that La Quinta Inn of Bishop California is a property not being well managed and is probably in decline.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
lq6046gm, Public Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn Bishop - Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, April 28, 2009
Our property has undergone quite a few changes within the last few months part of that change has been the overall maintenance on housekeeping in the hotel. We are very pleased with the positive feedback we've had at the property from the many guests that have stayed within the last few months and as we are learning by making mistakes we only hope to be better tomorrow than we were today.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Redlands, Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

The hotel itself was fine but the problem I'm having is being charged twice for one room for one night. I've tried repeatedly calling to speak with " Oscar " the general manager and the person in accounts payable but he is never available and has never returned any of the numerous messages I've left. I've faxed them a copy of my credit card bill with an explanation of the error and received at all. It's very frustating and time consuming, not to mention expensive because of the phone calls, fax charges and the interest on my Visa card for a charge that shouldn't be on it. I'm going to contact the Bishop Chamber Of Commerce and the Better Business Bureau and hopefully bring this to a close.

Stayed June 2008
Pine Valley, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

At the end of a two week road trip we were looking forward to staying in a nice motel on the last night and La Qunita Inn in Bishop was great. We stayed at two other La Quinta Inns on this trip and all were above average. These are almost comparable to Hampton Inns.

The Bishop location was right in the heart of town, across from the beautiful city park. It is next door to the Creekside Inn where we stayed previously but the price was about $40 per night less.

The room was clean, comfortable beds, all new decor and furniture, The continental breakfast was nice with a lot of different items to choose from. The breakfast area was large and clean, as was the lobby.

There is no pool here so families with children may want to check the Vagbound (we stayed there previuosly as well). However, with the city park right across the street, children will be able to run and play until exhausted! (skate board park, big public pool, duck pond, steam with trout...). Also right next to the bowling alley..great for teens.

I look forward to trying other La Quinta locations in the future.

• Liked — Location in central part of town near everything
  • Disliked — Lack of pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lone Pine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

I was absolutely discusted to find bugs(dead and alive) and blood in the bed when i turned it down. Sure they were able to put me in a new room for the evening. Once I rinsed the hair out of the tub I was able to take a shower, but never got an ounce of sleep. Had the creepy crawlies all night. Called the following week to resolve this with the manager, none on the property and would not be in until the following day. The front desk told me to call corp. I am on hold now for about 30mins. as I am writing this review. Will never stay at an L.Q. again.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

I mostly stay at upscale hotels, so my standards are pretty high. Wanting to save money, I chose the town of Bishop, about a half hour from crowded Mammoth. I was pleasantly surprised by the town and hotel. This La Quinta was clean and a good value at about $100 per night. The regular rooms are small but adequate, and the bathrooms are tiny, with toilet seats that were laughable, they were so cheap and flimsy. However, the SUITES are much bigger, for just a few dollars more, although the bathrooms are still tiny. The mattresses and bedding are all newer, and this place is very dog friendly. There were lots of well behaved dogs, and everyone seemed conscientous about traveling with their pets. The staff was helpful, and went out of their way to accommodate my request to change to a bigger room, offering to transfer my luggage and rushing to clean the new room.

The hotel is located across the street from a park, which is great for pets or kids. Also, next door is a pretty good Japanese restuarant , and within a few blocks is Schat's bakery that serves super fresh sandwiches and all kinds of goodies, as well as another restaurant - Whiskey Creek which was better than expected, though some dishes were overpriced, and brought to your table in about 30 seconds - so they were prepared before you even ordered!

Overall, I liked the hotel because it was newer and clean, and the staff was helpful - free basic breakfast is also included. The proximity to several restaurants, a park, a big Von's supermarket, and a variety of shops, made La Quinta a good choice. The Holiday Inn Express across the street wanted to charge an extra $25 per night per dog, and I had 2 Golden Retreivers. La Quinta charged nothing extra for pets, which made me feel more welcome, and kept the price low.

• Liked — Low price for clean and newer accommodations.
  • Disliked — Bathroom was modern, but too small. Just a poor design.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Riverside County, Ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2007

Upon check in they showed a higher rate than my reservation. Had to show them my paperwork to get my quoted rate. Unpleasant desk clerk, horrible customer service.
Had to check out early due to illness, we assured we would not be charged the final night. At checkout we were charged properly. But then noticed an additional charge on credit card for cancelled night.
Called hotel twice and they never processed the refund. Also contacted the corporate office via e mail and never received a response.
Got the charges reversed by disputing it through my credit card company.
Will never stay at a La Quinta Inn again.

Stayed November 2007
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

I chose the La Quinta after looking at several other hotel options and reviews in the local area. Most local hotels are on the higher end of the rate range although they are midrange and economy hotels. Since this location is seasonal I suppose they are trying to squeeze every dime out while they can.

The hotel was nice and recently remodeled. The rooms were nice but average sized. The bathroom was incredibly tight but fresh and clean and recently remodeled. The beds were in good condition and comfortable and the linens were soft and of good quality. The room was quiet and everything worked although the HVAC unit was a bit old. The hotel has only two floors but has no elevator which would be a problem for many people. The hotel also does not have a pool or spa so that may be a deal breaker for some as well. The hotel has a large breakfast area and free continental breakfast which was decent and typical for selection. Overall I was very happy but thought it was over-priced for what you get.

• Liked — Newly remodeled hotel with clean, fresh rooms
  • Disliked — Very tight bathroom and no elevator
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Quinta Inn Bishop - Mammoth Lakes? Share your experiences!