“Basic, cheap and not really so bad” 4 of 5 stars

El Rancho Motel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   274 Lagoon Street, Bishop, CA   |
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Bishop
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Basic, cheap and not really so bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Bishop is a really odd place all gun shops, Mexican food, fishing shops and ..... not much else.

Stayed whilst passing through, the old couple running it seem sweet the rooms are clean and nice - not bad for the price. Had no reason to complain

wifi was poor.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I was passing through Bishop, CA overnight and needed accommodations. My options were limited because I was travelling with my dog. While Motel 6 always accepts pets, they are not on my list of favorite places to stay. I went online to see what was available in pet friendly hotels in Bishop. I was struck by some of the reviews that I read of the El Rancho Motel. Overall, it got fairly good reviews, and I can now understand why.

It was off of the main drag, Highway 395, on a side street, and so it was very quiet. I had read in some of the reviews that there is a trailer park across the street from the motel, and that is in fact true. It did not phase me one way or another, and I was definitely not put off by it, as some people seemed to be.

The owners of El Rancho are very warm and friendly people, and were very helpful to me with suggestions as to restaurants and dog parks. The motel itself looks like it is from the 1950's, where you park your car right outside your room. The rooms, however, had all been renovated and updated, and very tastefully so. The bed was very comfortable, and had nice quality crisp clean sheets. The floors were laminate wood, which I thought was a nice touch. The towels
were plush, and the bathroom was equipped with the extras, like shampoo, conditioner, etc.

The room had a nice size refrigerator, a microwave, a coffee maker, very good WiFi connection, and a large flat screen TV with several channels. It was walking distance to local breakfast restaurants, which was also helpful. As for cleanliness, I give them a 5 star plus!

My only complaint, which is why I did not give it 5 stars, was that I got a room with a noisy air conditioner. I spoke to the office about it, and the owner came over and did his best to fix the problem. He did his best, but it was still fairly noisy all night. He did explain to me that they are replacing the air conditioners, and that I had unfortunately gotten one of the rooms that had not yet been upgrade with a new one. Again, that was my only complaint, and it was far outweighed by all of the other positive factors. The bed was so comfortable that I slept through the noise of the air conditioner.

I would highly recommend the El Rancho Motel, especially if you are travelling with a dog. They are very pet friendly. It was immaculately clean, it was quiet, and it was comfortable. My only suggestion would be that you request one of the rooms that has a new air conditioner.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with one of the newly replaced air conditioners.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Stayed for one night as a stopover on my way to Death Valley from Yosemite. Bishop is quite remote and a pretty cool place, has a very American feel. The surrounding Mountains are beautiful. I arrived in the evening, the rooms are clean and you can park right outside your room. the TV is good quality and has a load of channels on cable. The room although clean was a bit shabby. The WiFi did not work, I went over to ask the management if there was a problem and I was told it was my fault for trying to connect more than one device to the WiFi "didn't you know we were full?". Despite my windows laptop, android phone and my tablet not working I was still told it was a problem with my equipment. I asked the neighbours and it didn't work for them either. I had to get up early and nip to McDonalds down the road to use their WiFi so I could get a route on my GPS for the next day. Overall a nice place but I just didn't like the people that run it. Bishop is a tourist town, it is full of Motels. Choose somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

It was full so business in Bishop must be hopping, but I think I could have done better. I don't mind in staying in local motels, but this one's room was SMALL. Trouble with the TV, but management eventually got that working. I just would like something better for the money.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
So Cal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

The El Rancho is not the Hilton, but then you're in Bishop not Miami Beach. Yes, it is the 1950's motor court. It has been kept up with new paint and homey landscaping. Yes, it's across the street from a trailer park...and??? There were zero problems while we stayed there 2 nights. The office is VERY small, it will hold 2 people during check in. Only 1 person needs to pay for the room, so how many do you need to have witness the transaction? The staff are friendly and very helpful and remembered me when I had called the few days prior-what more could you ask for? The rooms have been updated and the decor is very pleasing. Our room (#5) had laminate flooring and tile in the bathroom. The closet while most people would consider small was adequate for a few weeks stay-no there isn't room for your formal wear, but where in Bishop would you go dressed like that? There is also a 4 drawer dresser if you need additional space. The bathroom and shower are small-but remember the building itself is old and bathrooms were not made large back then. It was fine for me at 5'3" and for my 6' husband-no complaints of a low shower head. The bed was a queen with a lovely feeling bed and duvet. There was a nice flat screen TV, fridge, microwave and A/C window unit. All were newer models. A comfy armchair and ottoman with a nice table completed the room. My brother had room #15 which had 2 double beds, a larger bathroom and closet, arm chair and ottoman. The table was a bit larger as was the refrigerator. The room was also updated with the same nice decor. There is a small ice maker for beverages in your room-no, it isn't there to fill your cooler. There is a freezer for your fish or a barbecue if you want to have dinner fresh off the lake. I love this motel and will be our "go to" for staying in Bishop. I travel for a living and this place beats the Hilton in comfort and welcoming atmosphere.

Room Tip: #5 for one or two people and #15 for 2-4 people. Both are comfy and have adequate space.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Clayton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

This is an old-school classic definition of a "motel" where one parks their car right outside their motel door. Don't be put-off by first impressions when you pull up. It's old and the grounds and office show their age. But my room was clean, had gotten painted in modern colors, and had many nice amenities, including a refrigerator with small freezer, plush towels, and satellite tv. The bed and pillows were comfortable and clean and I got a good night's sleep. It's on a quiet street only a block or two from the main drag, which is 395, so one can walk to get to cafes, restaurants, or shops. I would go back; I thought it was a good value.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Romford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed at El Rancho motel for one night whilst touring California. Check in was quick and efficient. The room was clean and comfortable and we had free parking in a space outside the room. The room had a small fridge, coffee perculator and a table and chair. The motel is opposite a trailer park but we didn't experience any problems. The owner was friendly and helpful and took the time to advise us of somewhere to eat. Wifi was included in the price and we had quite a strong signal.
Bishop is a small town that is shadowed by the Sierra Nevada. There are plenty of places to eat.
The motel is ideal for a stopover of one night and is reasonably priced.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to El Rancho Motel? Share your experiences!