“Lousy Wifi Noisy Neighbors” 3 of 5 stars

El Rancho Motel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   274 Lagoon Street, Bishop, CA   |
Ranked #8 of 21 hotels in Bishop
Los Angeles
“Lousy Wifi Noisy Neighbors”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I wanted to like this cute little vintage motel with the retro door keys. Unfortunately the wifi was spotty or non-existent and the neighbors were a bit loud. The good news is the beds were very comfortable, the shower stayed hot, the fridge worked, and the manager was pleasant. For just an overnight stay the price can't be beat. I probably wouldn't return though unless the wifi was working and there was a way to muzzle the other guests.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Spokane Valley, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Chose this Hotel based on the Tripadvisor review and was very pleased. It is a newly remodeled room that is every bit as good as any of the larger chain Hotels in the area. It's great to support a local business. $10 pet fee, but the total cost is still less then a comparable room at the local chain hotels.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel! For the price of a room on Main Street we were able to get a room and have a nice Christmas dinner. We even hooked our computer up to the TV (brought our own HDMI). Room was clean and heater worked well! Nice shower with great water temp and pressure which is important when you have long hair. We woke up in the morning to new fallen snow and the walkway to our cars were already 'plowed' and salted it was so nice. The woman who works there was so friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay there again :)

• Stayed December 2012
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Customer service was so great and accommodating. We were going to arrive way later from San Francisco than the check in time stated and the staff went way beyond anything I thought they would.

The room was so lovely and cozy. The bed was so comfortable. For the price, room, and customer service - this is the one of the best motels/hotels I have ever stayed!

Room Tip: They have parking spaces for every room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brawley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Wow, what a sweet place! When we entered our room, we thought it would be just another room. Not so! It was very quaint, and clean. We loved the room. It beackoned us to stay. The bed was very comfortable. We were very happy with our room. The service was terrific! We asked the motel workers and friends where they thought we could travel to just to see more of outdoors and they directed us to such beautiful places. Our "bike" ride was breath takingly beautiful. We cant wait to come back to the El Rancho Motel on our next trip north. Thank you for such a great stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
El Rancho M, Manager at El Rancho Motel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. You were a great pleasure to have as guests. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you again. If you are looking for something in the area again feel free to give us a call. Thanks again and we anticipate your return arrival.
Westwood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Spent a couple of days in Bishop and had a ball. We got to the motel late and the manager Heather was very nice about it. She helped us get into our room quickly and we bedded down for the night. The room was clean and the bed was heavenly. The next morning we went into the office to get some information about good places to eat. Heather gave us some good places to eat and places to go exploring. That evening we wanted to stay in so we bar b qued (on the motel's bbq) while we were doing that Heather and her Husband came out and we just sat around talking and eating. Before we knew it it was almost midnight. They were both so friendly and made us feel at home. We do like to travel and when we meet managers as these we always go back. Will be going back in a couple of months. If you are heading out that way stay there. They are good people and the motel is clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: All are good. Oh they have kitchens too
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always look forward to meeting new friends, and expanding our El Rancho family. We hope to see you again real soon.
Spartanburg, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I arrived on a Thursday evening the weekend of Labor day and also when the traveling amusement park was in town. As a result, the price was $75 instead of the usual $55. With tax the total was $84. I wasn't there for the amusement park or the Labor Day weekend (after all, it was Thursday so as far as I was concerned the weekend hadn't really even started). I was just passing through on a motorcycle trip from SC and just wanted a bed for the nite. I presented my case to the lady on duty but not being the owner she said she couldn't help me. This is typical of a lot of businesses in the US. The person who has to deal with the customer doesn't have the authority to meet the customer needs and the owner is isolated from the customer so he/she doesn't have to deal with the problem. I even asked that the owner be contacted and I was basically laughed off.

The room was very nice. Clean and comfortable but the internet wouldn't work. It kept disconnecting as the result of a "very low" signal. I spoke to the office lady and she said it was probably due to the wind.

I had to sit outside of my room to get any decent signal strength.

I understand supply and demand but if the demand warrants a 37% increase in the price, then the service should increase respectively. The internet should have worked from my room.

When I dropped off the key I complained about the internet and all I got was a smile. My hope for some offer of compensation was of course misguided since once again the owner wasn't available.

Room Tip: Get a room as close to the office as you can if you plan to use the internet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
I am terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, and I understand your concerns with the prices at the time. Our community hosts events twice a year that cause the rates all over town to go up. I try very hard to accomadate everyone's needs, as I did with you by dropping your rate from 85.00 to 75.00 the night you stayed. I know that we have had some problems with the wireless when it is windy, we are currently working to resolve the problem, and that is why we also have wired internet, and why I gave you a cord so you can have DSL in your room. I hope this experience does not hinder you from visiting us again. We constantly strive to improve our service for our guests.

Been to El Rancho Motel? Share your experiences!