“Very nice!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Bishop
CA, USA
“Very nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I stayed there for 4 nights while taking a class in Bishop, and was very pleased. Like others have said, the room was clean, the bed comfortable, the water pressure for the shower excellent, the WiFi complimentary. It's a couple of blocks from the main road, so it's quiet.

But above all, Heather was very nice and accommodating.

I'd stay there again any time!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Altadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

The price was great, the bed (and the bedding) was really good, the room was clean (wood floors were different) and the shower had great water pressure. The heater worked well and the remote was not nailed to the bed stand and the wi-fi was complimentary.

If the actual shower stall had enough room to do more than turn around in and had a shower curtain that actually kept the spray off of the bathroom floor then the rating would be higher.

I will be back often as the price makes it a very nice option in winter.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Bridgeport, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

The rooms are updated with hardwood floors, a stainless steal mini-fridge, and I slept in a brand new Cal King with brand new linens. Drinking coffee from a ceramic mug was a treat, and the bathroom was very clean. I stay here frequently, and have been in several of the rooms. They are all very nice. The best part was the quiet!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

I travel to Bishop to go backpacking a few times a year. I usually stay at the Townhouse on Main Street. I changed for two reasons. One, The Townhse is getting pretty dates and needs a refurb. The beds have waves in them. NIce folks and have never stayed at a different place. 2ndly, they were sold out when a 20 percent storm rolled through. I stopped at The Trees and they were full, so they referred me to their (sister property) The El Rancho which i had never heard of.

It's a motor lodge. If you mind cars driving in and out and doors closing aka quiet..this is not your place. It wasnt that bad though. I was assigned room 9. When i went in i was blown away. Duvet on bed. Cool color on the inside. Black and white cool framed pics on wall. Hardwood floors. Comfy sofa type chair in the room along with a table. Good AC. Tv worked and was clear with cable.

Now, i do not require housekeeping generally so i cant say anything about that other than i saw them cleaning rooms every day. I toss the dnd sign on the door and i'm good. Soda machine on premesis. Service was great, real friendly...but folks in Bishop always are.

The one thing i would say is the noise. You may have goofball teens making noise at night if they happen to be staying. They dont realize when they are being disrespectful, and i had to listen to them at 2am. Not to say it will be noisy, but if noise on occasion is a concern, dont stay here. There are plenty of interior door hotels in town. Other than that, i loved it and will be reserving that room again!

Room Tip: For one person, room 9 was great. think the bed may be a tad small for two unless you like close pro...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

This is a basic hotel with refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave in rooms. We appreciated the high quality towels and the low carbon footprint concept of supplying rooms with ceramic mugs rather than disposable plastic cups. Our room was clean and spacious. The beds were soft. The managers were extremely accommodating.

• Stayed July 2011
Mariposa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I'll start by saying that this was a fishing trip, so by no means was this expected to be a 4-star experience. I'll also say that I've stayed at this motel everytime I've gone fishing in Bishop, which I've been doing on and off for 41 years.

The good - the on-site managers were very nice.

Well enough of that.

When my son and I arrived about 4:30 PM, we were greeted by the wife side of the management team. They were having a problem with one of the air conditioning units and she was on her way out for some parts, so she gave us our key and told us to go ahead and check in later. When we got in the room, the beds were half made - sheets only. OK, no biggie. Dying of thirst from a full day of fishing, we looked forward to a nice cold drink of ice water, but no ice bucket and no glasses, save the one extremely dirty coffee cup. So being fishermen we improvised and made do. Unfortunately, their maid never do or did much of anything the entire 4 days we were there.

When I checked in about an hour later I told the husband part of management about the beds (forgot about he coffecup) and he did take care of that while we were out to dinner. The next day after another long day of fishing, not only were the beds not made, but the dirty towels weren't replaced either. I figured, "what the hell, we're clean when we go to bed so the beds aren't dirty anyway", but when the husband called me into the office because he'd undercharged me the day before, I decided it might be nice to have the bed made and the towels changed.

Well, one out of two wasn't bad.

Day 3, no towels, beds not made. Shocking.

Day 4 much to my surprise they actually made the beds AND changed one towel!! Though don't get too excited because the beds were made, not changed. I think they might've even vacuumed, but that's debateable. Never did get an ice bucket or clean glasses - had to go buy my own plastic cups.

Now it was pretty quiet (most of Bishop closes at 5:00), and the room was clean when we arrived, AND they were accommodating about spaces for both our cars, but I've never encountered anything like that in the 40 years prior when they were under OLD management(s).

And for the fishermen reading this review, they don't have any fish cleaning or freezing facilities. Its strictly a catch and release friendly motel only.

To sum it up, I'm a creature of habit (obviously if I've been staying there over the last 41 years), but I'd have to think long and hard before I'd stay there ever again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
El Dorado, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

Paid only $48 on a Friday and Saturday in late June with AAA discount. This motel has improved since the new owners took over. Unlike 2 years ago, rooms are now clean, have lots of lights, a refrigerator and microwave and the plumbing works good. What more can you ask for $48 in a town where all the other motels charge more?

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to El Rancho Motel? Share your experiences!