“VERY NICE place, clean and accomodating.” 5 of 5 stars

Thunderbird Motel
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   190 W Pine Street, Bishop, CA 93514   |
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Bishop
Phelan, California
“VERY NICE place, clean and accomodating.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

The Thunderbird was EXACTLY what we were looking for: an inexpensive hotel room, used just for a place to sleep on our mini-vacation to Bishop. We weren't planning on spending a lot of time in the hotel -- we needed a clean, decent place to rest and shower in between our hiking and biking adventures. The Thunderbird was PERFECT. It was tidy and clean, the bathroom amenities were nice to see, and there were enough towels for both of us to shower, twice. The office staff was very friendly and helpful, and they even had a small fireworks show in the parking lot on the 4th of July. We felt like family -- people smiled and greeted us, noticed when we took our bikes out and remarked when we arrived back safely. Really, best of all it was a clean place with very firm beds... gave us two GOOD night's sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for non-snoking for sure.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Pueblo, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Motels in the area are over-pricey. It was late at night (10 pm is late to these motel keepers), most places were twice the money, if they were even open or answering inquiries. The lady at the desk was kind and helpful, didn't charge me for my dog, and gave us an unsolicited discount for taking two rooms.

It was a nice, clean, quiet motel- on this trip of 3000 miles, it was exactly what we needed and one of the best motels of the entire trip. Not a grand hotel or great motel, just a very clean basic motel.

I took advantage of the large bathtub, which was a huge plus. Plus there was a nice, basic complimentary continental breakfast- juices, danishes, fruit, you know.

Room Tip: Upstairs, eastern part of the motel. Great view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Rosamond, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

Booked through Expedia for the cheaper rate...the motel charged me $10 more per night to book through Expedia, then charged another $22 in fees. I asked why and was told that they needed to make up the difference for the fees they paid through Expedia!! If I had known that they charged more through expedia, I would have simply called them directly! People were not friendly, and left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. I'll stay elsewhere next year!

Room Tip: Call before going through a travel site!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

I will keep my review brief because I am too busy disinfecting my clothing and luggage after acquiring bed bug bites and realizing this place is infested with bed bugs of all stages. All I can say is NEVER, EVER, I MEAN....EVER...NEVER, NEVER, NEVER... WOULD I EVEN CONSIDER GOING NEAR THIS DUMP.

Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

Ok, so it's our own fault, we hadn't booked anywhere and there was a film festival in town! This was about the 10th hotel we tried and the only one with a room for sale, so we took it as we thought the alternative may well be sleeping in the car. The room was grossly overpriced - clearly they knew they were the only hotel with rooms available. Not clean, curtains didn't close properly, noisy. The chances are I will never pass through Bishop again - but if I do, I'll make sure I book a room well in advance to ensure I never have to stay at the Thunderbird again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Bury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

Having been unable to find a hotel in Page earlier in the week, we felt it necessary to book ahead, being so close to Yosemite. Arrived to find that had erroneously booked single bed instead of two queens, and were charged extra $30 to upgrade. Two rooms cost us $230 - far more than we paid anywhere else, and they were unwilling to negotiate. As we checked in vagrant was looking through the trash bins. Didn't feel safe enought to leave window open and air-con was noisy. Fridge was turned off and smelled awful. Bedding and decor old and tired. Breakfast served in the tiny reception area (nowhere to sit down) was a jug of coffee and a small muffin. By far the worst motel, and worst value, that we found anywhere in the USA.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Incline Village, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

This place is a joke. I booked the room on hotels.com the day before I was scheduled to travel from Lake Tahoe to North Hollywood. I arrived late, about 9pm, and the person at the front desk told me he could not find my confirmed reseravation.. It was a very busy travel weekend and because we arrived so late, I honestly believe that out of greed, they sold the room for more money.

Everything else in town was full.

The greed of that motel left my wife and our infant child and myself no other choice, but to drive dangerously through the night, continuing on hours longer than we had planned.

I've stayed here before, NEVER AGAIN!!!!! I strongly suggest other travelers stay at one the other places available in Bishop...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Thunderbird Motel? Share your experiences!