“Not worth it.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Starlight Motel

Starlight Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Big Pine
Starlight Motel
You added Starlight Motel to your Saves list
511 S Main St, Big Pine, CA 93513   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Big Pine
“Not worth it.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

I would not recommend this motel. The room was very small and not worth the price you pay. The beds were comfortable, but the room is always either too hot or too cold. We stayed two nights, but we got no maid service. I tried to get more towels, but the office was closed. The owners are not very friendly and they go into your room when you are gone, not to clean it, but to turn off the A/C. Very creepy!

• Stayed July 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed here one night over the Memorial Day weekend due to an "accidental" cancellation of a reservation at another motel down the road. Smaller rooms, definitely built in the 50's, but had a nice flat screen TV and comfortable beds. Small bathroom and shower, but served its purpose. Seems like a motel you'd fine on old Route 66! Not a lot going on in Big Pine, but a convenient place to stay for a trip into Death Valley.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Westminster, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This motel is located along the Eastern Sierra mountains, on Hwy. 395 south of Bishop, CA. It is an older place but very well cared for. The landscaping was quite nice and made this an inviting overnight stop. The rooms aren't all that large, but not a closet either. The bathrooms were well maintained and everything was especially clean and tidy. They looked like new but were as old as the motel, probably back into the 50's, but well maintained. Sort of a retro look.

I was towing a small utility trailer with a canoe and when I explained my situation the manager said that I could unhook it and park it in a space adjacent to where I parked the vehicle. The manager was extremely helpful and nice with me about it. Another place just said "no trailers" and turned me away. There were convenient posts supporting the porch that I could chain the trailer up to to prevent its "wandering off". I doubt that would have really been a problem though. Big Pine is a small town and doesn't seem to have much of a crime problem.

There is satellite television with the usual complement of channels and something for everyone. But with the surroundings, why sit at the room watching TV? The Eastern Sierra mountains have to be one of the most spectacular sights in Western America.

Would I stay there again? Absolutely! The price was fair and less than I would have expected in Bishop, which is only a few miles to the north. The town is pretty quiet and the motel especially so.

Room Tip: For an overnight stay, this is a good choice. Rates are reasonable, service was great and it's...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Norther Central PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Don't know what this place is like and I don't care if I never find out. My husband and I were on a 3 week, cross country road trip with our daughter and 3 of our grandchildren. Never knowing where we would be on a particular day, we didn't make reservations for lodging until several hours before we expected to arrive at a particular place. My daughter called the Starlight Motel to ask a few questions..such as price, if they had accommodations for 6, amenities...etc.....and I guess the desk clerk could not be bothered answering her questions. She was asking the third and final question and he hung up on her. That upset me. It was rude. So this review is rated by how we were treated on the telephone. I know nothing about the accommodations.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Big Pine hotels

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Do not recommend this place at all!! WAY overpriced for what you are getting . . . Rooms are dirty and bed stunk. Do not disturb sign does not mean anything to this place. A/C loud and kept getting turned off when we would leave room. Would come back to a HOT room. Bare bones place charging high end prices.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Monrovia, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

My first disappointment was that they offered no decaf coffee - not in the room or in the lobby. My second disappointment was that when we asked for extra pillows the owner was not happy. He sighed and said he "would have to look for them." My third disappointment was the bathroom- an old sink and stall shower. There was a fish cleaning sink right around the corner from our room and an old styrofoam cooler on the ground. Not sure I would want to stay here even if I had been fishing all day!

• Stayed June 2013
Ridgecrest, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We've stayed here a number of times over the years on our way to Yosemite or Death Valley. It's clean and nice and easy to park the motorcycle in front of the room to unload. We paid $75 for a Saturday night on a three-day weekend. We got up in the morning and had a great ride up to the Ancient Bristlecone Pines in the White Mountains (It is a fantastic ride for you motorcycle enthusiasts!).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
The Hostel California
The Hostel California
#6 of 11 in Bishop
4.0 of 5 stars 10 reviews

Been to Starlight Motel? Share your experiences!