“Comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whyteleafe
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on two separate nights as we needed to stay in the area due to a family illness. We received a warm welcome from friendly staff on both occasions. The rooms were spacious and the bed clean and comfortable. £3 for overnight parking was a bit of pain but it can be significantly higher as you travel further into London, so no big deal. The only glitch was someone trying to get into our room in the middle of the night but I suspect that alcohol may have had something to do with his mistaken choice of room number!
We did not have the breakfast so can't really comment on the catering, however, as a previous poster has indicated, there is an excellent fish and chip shop (Salisbury's) a short distance away. Excellent value and huge portions!
A previous poster also made comment on the window locks and how they may be a fire hazard. As a former fire officer and current fire safety consultant I can verify that windows do not form part of the designated fire escape routes from the hotel and, from what I saw (I check, it's habit, what can I say), the standard of fire precautions in the hotel seemed satisfactory, if not I wouldn't stay there!
All in all, a comfortable stay and I would have no hesitation staying there again in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed on both sides of the hotel. One side of the building is alongside a main road but we didn...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is the third time I have stayed here, and am pleased to say the welcome and standards of cleanliness have always been good, but this time was excellent. The rooms have had a revamp since the last time I stayed, with a really comfortable bed and flatscreen tvs. Internet is free - don't know why another reviewer seemed to think they had to pay for it...my son who is glued to the laptop had no complaints! We had the breakfast which was great value at £7.65 for both my son & I to eat as much as we liked. Paying for parking is a bit of a pain, but as the lodge is directly opposite a commuter railway station that is understandable. Glad to see that wasteful free toiletries are not given, an environmental disaster in my opinion. Surely most travellers would prefer their own to cheap bottles of nasty shampoo?? There is some road noise but not enough to disturb us. Will definitely use again.

Room Tip: Ask for room at back, not facing road.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

The thing about this chain is you get a perfectly good bed for the night. I have had much worse breakfasts in much better hotels. The rooms are big clean and comfy. Yes the toiletries are spartan, the smallest bar of soap you've ever seen and that's it. The car parking is run by apoco and the SMS payment system is a pain. The major problem is they don't give enough information on the web site or at reception. Bring your own toiletries would be a start. And a verbal reminder for the car park. I do think it's a bit over priced and that in preference I'd rather use independent hotels or B&B's but if they are booked this place and others like it are absolutely fine.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Cambridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Upon arriving to the hotel I was shocked that parking all around the hotel is chargeable which is outrageous! Internet at £5 an hour - common we don't live in a war zone to charge such rates!

Also to find the most disgustingly smelly soap is disappointing - I'd rather not have it.

Bed: I has a strong feeling bed wasn't changed before I arrived - one of the pillows had a black stain on it and toilet definitely was not cleaned as even toilet paper roll which is used and empty was still there so obvious signs nobody was here to clean the place.

Breakfast: good selection of cereal and muffins, shame about defrosted / solid hard croissants. Full English breakfast: eggs were the most tasteless eggs I have had for years and wonder if chef has actually tasted them before putting out to customers - same goes for almost cold beans. Sausages were tasty and good choice. Wouldn't say the same for bacon!

I wouldn't normally be negative about any such places and am not picky but this is the most dissapointing and let down of a Travelodge I have ever been to - really disappointing and a big let down - will take me good time before returning to one and actually recommending it - especially 'Travelodge Caterham Whyteleafe' and yet I still have to stay here for another night...!

• Stayed October 2013
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge Caterham Whyteleafe, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear OTVisuals , we are sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay at Travelodge. The car park at our Caterham Whyteleafe hotel is operated by APCOA and costs £3.00 for 24 hours. We do expect our rooms to be clean and fresh, our housekeeping team follow a strict routine whilst servicing rooms. We would expect them to notice any stained bed linen and replenish all essentials. We would like to take this opportunity to investigate the concerns that you have raised, please use the contact us button on our website to provide us with more information which will allow us to offer a resolution.
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Newly refurbished so fresh and clean with comfy beds. Impression spoiled by one tiny sliver of soap between two people. How mean is that? Worth the money for what you get - didn't use to be the case before the refurbishment. Staff very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge Caterham Whyteleafe, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thanks for your review Moira S. As standard we do not provide toiletries in any of our hotels although we do offer the option to purchase extra toiletries from our vending machines. We have recently freshened up the hotel with a makeover and put a brand new ‘Travelodge Dreamer’ pocket sprung king-size bed in every room. Lots more of our hotels will be getting our new look this year, so it’s really good to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

staff really friendly and helpful and always smiling :-)
We were down for my nieces wedding and a few of us stayed here and you couldnt fault it. we had breakfast on the Saturday which eas great value £7.95 for all you could east hot and cold buffet

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Travel lodge 'reception' woman knocked at my door where I was with my small 4 year old child.

'Can you make sure your child does not sick  on duvet as we have no more left!'

When my child is poorly and being sick the last thing on my mind is saving the duvets at travel lodge just because they can't be bothered to keep enough in stock  for these unforeseen circumstances which can quite easily happen to ANY family, (child or adult).  If they offer 'family' rooms shouldn't this be something they take into account when setting up a hospitality service? I mean we r living in a developed country! Instead of making little children feel bad for natural occurances and making parents feel bad for being them being ill and not sparing a thought about their obvious lack of stock control on duvets. Shouldn't they perhaps be focusing on more serious problems such as the health and safety aspects of the So called family room which has a 'safety' lock on the window to stop kids falling out however no key is provided  an so in an event of a fire the whole family would be at a high risk of being trapped Inside and burning to death when we asked at reception they said that it can come off easily if needed, well.. we tried and nothing happened not even a screw driver that we had could open the safety lock , at least not fast enough in an emergency!  ( not that any thing like a
screwdriver is even supplied in the room!) they have a family room where in an event of fire especially if fire escapes were blocked would be extremely hazardous!!!! Just my point of view but perhaps they should stop causing problems for their  guests and go spend a few  bucks on some duvets but focus on more serious issues like the health and safety of their guests first!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge Caterham Whyteleafe, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear SnowyTA, we are sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your stay at our Caterham Whyteleafe Hotel. We can confirm that we do have additional duvets at our hotels so that we are able to replace them if needed. We would however expect our staff to act in a more sympathetic manor, all customer feedback is invaluable to us and we will ensure that the hotel is made aware of the comments that you have made. We can confirm that the latches on the windows are for your safety. These should not be removed by guests and the windows are not part of the designated fire escape route or fire evacuation process.

Been to Travelodge Caterham Whyteleafe? Share your experiences!