“Romance in the mountains” 5 of 5 stars

Big Bear Manor Spa Cabins
Big Bear Manor Spa Cabins
40393 Big Bear Blvd., PO Box 3418, CA 92315   |
Carlsbad
“Romance in the mountains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

We stayed here for Valentine's day for two days and love it! We love the rock and wood looking interiors. We also like the covered parking in case it snows. The cabins looked new, but we were told by Val (sweet lady) that they were just painted that summer (a very pretty dark green and white).

The jacuzzi was so huge and definitely fit both of us comfortably. We liked how our fireplace (wood burning) was right next to the jacuzzi. The TV was also visible from the jacuzzi.

We also liked the extra sanitary in having three sheets on our king bed. I had never stayed anywhere before that had three sheets. Val told us that it is common in more lavish hotels. I guess I need to get out more often. LOL

We also liked the kitchen in the cabin. It was small and only had a fridge and microwave (and coffee maker, thank God!). That's ok with us as we mostly ate out our meals. Hey, it's supposed to be a romantic getaway. If my hubby thought I was cooking, he better think differntly! LOL

Anyway, Val told us about Captain's Anchorage restaurant and it was great! I loved that clam chowder! I loaded up on the soup and salad and took most of my lobster back to the cabin for lunch the next day.

All in all our Big Bear experience was great! We will definitely be back to Big Bear and we will definitely be staying at Bear Manor Cabins.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

I don't want to write a bad review because nothing terrible happened in terms of service. I just felt a bit misled by the website and their lack of pictures, but I suppose that is my own fault.

First of all, it took me a long time to finally decide where to stay in Big Bear. My boyfriend and I wanted to go on a romantic getaway for a few days in the snow. We chose Big Bear Manor Jacuzzi Cabins because they have a 2 person jacuzzi tub. When I saw a map of their cabin locations online I thought the area was going to be spacious. I think I let my imagination carry me away, even though it did say "map not to scale"

But when I think of cabins I think of decent sized stand alone rooms. I had never been to Big Bear before so I didn't know how compact and crowded the south shore is. But the cabins on this property were packed in tight next to each other, even with the one carport parking, it didn't feel much like cabins.

We were in a one bedroom cabin, but I think it's the same size as a studio, so it just felt small since they put up four walls around the king sized bed. there was barely enough room for one person to walk around in the bedroom so we were mostly on the futon anyway.

The fireplace was nice. The jacuzzi was also nice and big. Unfortunately the kitchenette area was right next to the jacuzzi, along with a small table with chairs that were at the end of the jacuzzi. Everything just seemed out of place because it's like we were cooking and eating over the jacuzzi tub. Not really romantic. Especially in the tub, if you just turn your face towards the fire, then that's fine. But if you dont' want to hurt your neck, you can't really avoid the kitchenette. All in all the tub just seemed out of place and therefore not very romantic placed in front of the kitchenette. I understand there's not much room, but then they shouldn't have put in a tub.

I guess I'm just disappointed because it was rather expensive for the weekend nights ($225 per night I think) and because we were also thinking about just renting a vacation rental house/cabin which were the same price but at least you would have the whole house to yourself rather than just a tiny room. I just thought we'd be getting some sort of cleaning service but all they did was empty the trash and replace towels. No cleaning or making the beds.

The other thing is since the tub is so big and they don't have enough hot water, you can only fill the tub half full at a time. Wait 20 mins for the water to get hot again, and then you can fill it all the way. I didn't have any problems with the water getting cold while waiting tho, since I really cranked up the hot water.

The other thing is dont' buy their firewood! It doesn't burn well at all, we ended up using duraflame.

there were several windows, but none had views of anything. one had a view of the cabin right next door, the other was a view of the driveway, and the other was a view onto our tiny tiny porch. i suppose there is nothing to look at when everything is packed in so close. Also, since the alpine snow play is next door, we could hear people screaming and yelling pretty well as they were sliding down the snow.

Overall, size and space was my biggest problem. The room could sleep 4 people since they had a futon, but it would be really really crowded seeing as it was tight for just 2 people. Maybe the studios are better than the 1bedrooms.

All in all, cleanliness was decent. Although our sheets had stains that looked questionable in the middle and on the sides and the pillows need to be replaced.

I wouldn't go back again. I think next time we'll just rent a house or something for the same price.

• Liked — Fireplace
  • Disliked — Very cramped space in bedroom, odd placement of jacuzzi tub, no views
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Big Bear Manor Spa Cabins? Share your experiences!