“Hidden gem” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Mission Viejo, California
“Hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were staying at the Inn at Fawnskin and inquired about a place for dinner. Sweet Basil was one of the Innkeepers favorites and it did not disappoint. It is hidden under the bowling alley and yet once you open the door your in a quaint bistro. We did not have reservations and if you go on a weekend you may want to call and make a reservation. They are a cozy resturant so you otherwise may have to wait a bit. We were lucky and were able to get a very nice table with out a reservation the night we went. The waiter was very friendly and the food was very very good. I had the beouf bougionne and my husband had the Gorgonzola stuffed Filet. Both were delicious and we would certainly go again given the chance.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
San Diego, California
“Great Environment, Great Drinks, Great Service, Food... Meh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The service we got from our waiter was very professional and courteous. He happened to be the bartender there and doubled as a waiter when it was slow.

He made my wife a great margarita, but my dry martini tasted pretty terrible. For a $13 martini, you would not expect to taste the bitterness of the vodka. However, it was a large drink and it did get me wasted so kudos to that.

The food was hit and miss. My lamb was dreadful. Hardly any taste, even with the tiny bit of sauce they put on the plate. Also, it was incredibly chewy, lamb should melt off the bone. The rice pilaf that came with it was very good however. My wife had the lobster ravioli, this was AMAZING. I found myself sneaking bites off her plate.

The atmosphere is VERY romantic. Fireplaces, fresh flowers on each table, white tablecloth, dim lighting, etc. The staff is super friendly.

The prices are a little on the expensive side but you get what you pay for, just don't get the lamb.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Best Value in Big Bear”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

As a B&B owner in Fawnskin, I want our guests to have a fabulous experience during their stay, and Sweet Basil Bistro is at the top of our list of recommended restaurants. It's family owned and operated, so the atmosphere is warm, inviting, and friendly. The menu choices are just enough to choose from without being overwhelming-all fresh, delicious meals, not too heavy. The wine list is just right and quite reasonable, as are the entrees. The service is great too. enjoy!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Laguna Hills, California
“Small and quaint”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I enjoyed my steak with Gorgonzola stuffed cheese in it. My husband however ordered the linguine pesto with chicken said had no flavor. Service was also pretty slow for such a small place.

Visited February 2013
Fawnskin, California
“Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Food tasted good, prices were reasonable for a "fancy" place, atmosphere wasn't as quiet as I'd expect in a place like this, kind of cramped dinning area.

Visited June 2012