“Great Environment, Great Drinks, Great Service, Food... Meh” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
San Diego, California
“Great Environment, Great Drinks, Great Service, Food... Meh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The service we got from our waiter was very professional and courteous. He happened to be the bartender there and doubled as a waiter when it was slow.

He made my wife a great margarita, but my dry martini tasted pretty terrible. For a $13 martini, you would not expect to taste the bitterness of the vodka. However, it was a large drink and it did get me wasted so kudos to that.

The food was hit and miss. My lamb was dreadful. Hardly any taste, even with the tiny bit of sauce they put on the plate. Also, it was incredibly chewy, lamb should melt off the bone. The rice pilaf that came with it was very good however. My wife had the lobster ravioli, this was AMAZING. I found myself sneaking bites off her plate.

The atmosphere is VERY romantic. Fireplaces, fresh flowers on each table, white tablecloth, dim lighting, etc. The staff is super friendly.

The prices are a little on the expensive side but you get what you pay for, just don't get the lamb.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
“Best Value in Big Bear”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

As a B&B owner in Fawnskin, I want our guests to have a fabulous experience during their stay, and Sweet Basil Bistro is at the top of our list of recommended restaurants. It's family owned and operated, so the atmosphere is warm, inviting, and friendly. The menu choices are just enough to choose from without being overwhelming-all fresh, delicious meals, not too heavy. The wine list is just right and quite reasonable, as are the entrees. The service is great too. enjoy!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Laguna Hills, California
“Small and quaint”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I enjoyed my steak with Gorgonzola stuffed cheese in it. My husband however ordered the linguine pesto with chicken said had no flavor. Service was also pretty slow for such a small place.

Visited February 2013
Fawnskin, California
“Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Food tasted good, prices were reasonable for a "fancy" place, atmosphere wasn't as quiet as I'd expect in a place like this, kind of cramped dinning area.

Visited June 2012
walnut, ca
“My favorite lunch place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've only been for lunch and never had to wait. The service is always good and the food is better. I love their house salad and pasta with homemade sausage! The best.

• Visited October 2012