“Potato pancakes & wurst” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 106 Restaurants in Big Bear Region
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Long Beach
“Potato pancakes & wurst”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our waitress here is very friendly and the food is pretty good. I had the potato pancakes with sour cream and apple sauce. Honestly, the best potato pancakes I've ever had is at the Original House of Pancakes, but these are pretty good. The bratwurst and kielbasa w/sauerkraut were spot on.

My husband had the biscuits and gravy and scrambled eggs. The gravy was delish. The sausage was tasty as well. They have a lot of German foods here, so of course the sausage and the brats should be good.

They bring a pot of coffee so you can just drink as much as you want.

My daughter had the little polar bear pancake. She kept saying, this should really be called the Big Bear pancake. It was huge. You can order this and split it between two kids. It was the size of a dinner plate w/chocolate chips. It also came w/a strip of bacon. This place had the most reasonably-price children's menu of all the places that we ate at this weekend.

I can see it being slow when the place is full. But I noticed that everywhere we went in Big Bear was superslow. Not sure if this is a Big Bear thing or a Memorial Weekend thing. We got there super early. My husband wanted to hit the road early and not get stuck in traffic. We beat the rush (yay!!) and we got our food in a timely manner.

I'd give them 3.5 stars, but you can't give half stars. I'd go back for the potato pancakes and the other German dishes.

They should get an extra star for just accepting credit cards. A lot of cash-only places in Big Bear.

Visited May 2013

Montebello, California
“Breakfast at 1pm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Drive into Big Bear hungry and wanted some breakfast. Along with a great Bloody Mary I had the eggs Benedict. Eggs were perfect and portions we just right but a but over priced. My part also had the corned been hash, the meat / sausage lovers breakfast, fish and chips, cheeseburger cooked to your specification, and pancakes. Pancakes were huge and were yummy. It was good but yes, over priced for the portion size.

Santa Clarita, California
“Great find in Big Bear”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This restaurant is a hidden gem in Big Bear. What a great restaurant for dinner!! I know this sounds wierd...but they have the best clam chowder we've ever had..This includes all of New England!! The baby back ribs are wonderful and I thought the saurbraten was very good. The homey atmosphere is what we like the best. After our first visit our server, Sherie, remembered our names and made us feel so welcome!! Go on Saturday night...they have live music and they play lots of Beatles, Eagles and Bob Dylan. They even play a few original numbers!!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Mislead, but you never know in ski towns... :(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Average food, below average restaurant environment, poor restroom facilities... I wish i had read more reviews for this place before going, but you never know and just have to give places a shot sometimes. The service was great, no complaints there. The food was okay - great bacon, below average soggy wet scrambled eggs, average pancakes ~ nothing too impressive. The restaurant conditions - seating/chairs, restroom facilities, and overall feel of the place ~ was okay. Little dirty and cold in some areas.

Could have been a lot worse and a lot better, but there is no reason for me to go back, considering I love McDonalds breakfast (ONLY!) and we ended up heading to McD's the following morning for breakfast instead of LogCabin just to eat something reliable (hot coffee, good eggs, and cheap prices!). I'm sure there are other better restaurants for breakfast in town as well.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Camarillo, California
“Great Service. Average Food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We didn't go for the German fare, which seems to be their specialty. We just wanted to eat some eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc. The food was ok, it was just your regular breakfast fare that you could pick up at any restaurant, BUT I'd much rather eat in this atmosphere than Denny's!

The staff was very friendly & attentive. We weren't made to wait for a table, even though it was a somewhat busy Saturday morning.

My only complaint is that the pancakes were huge - the size of the plate & 2 were about 1 1/2" tall. That may be a plus for some people though, but I prefer the smaller & "less bready" versions.

We've eaten here a couple of times in the past as well &never encountered issues with the food or staff. It's just off the highway, so you don't need to go looking for a place to grub.

• Visited February 2013