“Awesome Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Los Angeles
“Awesome Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

If you wake up hungry or hung over, this is the place for you. The pancakes are HUGE (hang over your plate HUGE.) Friendly staff; large portions of good ole bacon, eggs and hash browns. The biscuits and gravey are good. No complaints and the prices were very reasonable considering how much food you get.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Anaheim, CA
“What am I missing here?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I am baffled by all of the positive reviews of this place. I just don't get it! The breakfast my wife and I had last Tuesday (May 28) was nothing short of awful. We went to the Grizzly Manor at 9:00 am after having read about how great this place was. The door to the restaurant was locked despite a sign on the door that read "Open 7 days 6:00 am to 2:00 pm".

We came back the next morning (May 29) to an open restaurant and were seated immediately. Our waitress - who, we were later to learn, was the owner's daughter - said that they were closed yesterday because they "didn't have a cook". That was our first clue that things were not going to go very well.

We each ordered the scrambled eggs and ham, which turned out to be more like a huge mound of burnt, diced, fatty ham with a scant amount of equally burnt eggs. We had to literally search for the hardened eggs within the ham. When we called the waitress over to complain, she actually encouraged us to send the order back, which we did. She then whispered to us, "he's new, and we're just breaking him in during our down time". We looked over at the open kitchen and saw a rather scruffy looking young man who appeared totally stressed and clearly confused.

Within a few moments, the waitress brought our revised order, which looked very much like the first. Since we were both hungry, we decided to just "suck it up" and scarf down our burnt eggs and ham. Meanwhile, we noticed other patrons sending their orders back as well. When the waitress brought our check, we noticed that she had "generously" taken off a whopping $0.25 off of each of our orders. That's right; a whole quarter of a dollar. So, instead of paying $8.50 for our rubbery eggs and burnt ham, we only had to pay $8.25. How big of her!

When going to Big Bear - which is a terrific place in which to vacation - do yourself a favor; go somewhere other than the Grizzly Manor for breakfast. There are plenty of other good places to go. This place is utterly deplorable!

Fred D.
Anaheim, California

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Long Beach, California
“Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had read and heard that this place has the best breakfast so we decided to try it out. It's very small so prepare to wait. We only waited about 10 minutes because there were only 2 of us and we ate at the counter. Very homey place with no frills. The portains are HUGH so keep that in mind. I had 1/2 of The Blob which was 1 biscuit and gravy with bacon cut up in it and an egg any style on top and it was just right. Beware of the pancakes as they are probably 12" around, no kidding. You get a lot of food but I can't say that it was Soooo good that I would have to go again but fun to go at least once.

Visited May 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“A trip to Big Bear isn't complete without a visit to Grizzly Manor Cafe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Have to stop here for breakfast whenever I am in the area. I try to visit Big Bear Lake at least once a year and I always look forward to having breakfast here! The pancakes are huge and delicious. I have never been disappointed. Did I mention the staff is fun and friendly too.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Montebello, California
“It's just breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Aside from the star show stoppers for the huge pancakes. This place is average. It's breakfast. I had ham eggs and hashbrowns. They don't poach eggs. So that was a negative for me. The portions are good for the price. Average price of meals $10. If you're willing to wait for large portions then go for it. Denny's and Ihop provide an average breakfast like they do. Weigh your options. Denny or Ihop. Less wait time. This place if you show up at a popular time 830-10. Wait time 30-45 ,pminutes. Losing ski time. You do the math