“A very long wait for a reasonable meal” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #49 of 105 Restaurants in Big Bear Region
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Ventura, California
“A very long wait for a reasonable meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

To be totally fair to the establishment, serving eight adults and six children can be a daunting task. However, that being said, there is no excuse for any restaurant to force diners to wait 90 minutes before receiving their meals.

It took a total of 30 minutes for a server take drink orders and another 15 minutes or more to take our food orders. From my observation, there was only one server on duty. Tuesday night may not be busy, but any proprietor of a restaurant should be visible to ensure that diners are being served. I cannot fault the food. It was done well and there were no complaints when it finally arrived. Perhaps the reason for the lack of complaints was the long wait which exacerbated the hunger of the children and the rest of our party.

On a positive note, each child on Tuesday receives a free meal in conjunction with an adult meal. That is an indicator one might presume of why the establishment was understaffed. I don't think we will be returning, as children are especially vulnerable to long waits. However, our server, under obvious pressure, remained calm, friendly and accommodating as possible.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Nice Lunch on the Patio”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

After a morning of jet sking we were looking for a nice place to relax and have a quiet lunch. Nottinghams fit the bill. They have a nice patio for outdoor dining and the service, although slow, was friendly. We really weren't in a hurry so the relaxed atmosphere and slow pace was fine. The food was good (very good onion rings) and I would eat there again.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Prescott, Arizona
“Best experience in Big Bear”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Took my wife for her birthday and had both excellent food AND service from Alice. Thank you, Nottinghams (and you, Alice), for making this a wonderful experience!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brooklyn, New York
“Loved the food here, yummy menu without breaking your wallet.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I was very surprised at some of the bad reviews written about this place. My boyfriend and I loved the food here.

There was no wait at all for a table. I guess we came on a quiet night, tuesday around 730pm. Our hostess who was also our waitress was very friendly and gave good speedy service.

The atmosphere is something like peppercorns grille, very romantic, lit well and private as well as cozy.

The menu was broad, lots of yummy, out of the box diffferent options which we were excited to try.

For an appitizer we had these garlic bread bagets which this amazing lobster and cheese spread, we absolutely loved it and said it was a better appitizer then the one we had at peppercorn grille.

I had a yummy french onion soup before my entree which was very good as well. The flakey crust pastery on the of it was a nice difference to regular soggy bread that most places put in their french onion soups.

My boyfriend and I both had burgers. But oh boy were they amazing! And different.

My boyfriend had a burger stuffed with blue cheese and bacon, I had a kobe beef burger topped with chedder cheese and bacon, blue cheese crumble on the side. We got a side of fried pickles which was out of this world good! The burgers came with potato wedges covered in cheese and bacon. Kind of like potato skins.

For dessert we shared a brownie tower which was so good. Moist warm brownie, vanilla ice cream with carmel and chocolate drizzle. The coffee was very good as well.

Honestly it was a great fun meal and the bill was exactly half the price of peppercorn grille, but just as satisfying to our tastebuds and bellies.

I would certainly return to Nottinghams on our next trip to big bear. Awesome food!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Horrible service, mediocre food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I went here for dinner last week on a Thursday night and it was joke from the moment we walked in the front door. I could've sworn we were on a hidden camera show because the service we received that evening was unbelievable.

When we walked in the door we stood around for a few minutes waiting for a host/hostess to appear. Finally an older man appeared from a smaller dining room and seated us. He greeted us with small talk, asking where we were from then disappeared. Five minutes went by and he came back again asking if our server had come by. We said no, he left and another few minutes later our waiter appeared. By that time we knew what we wanted to eat so we ordered sodas, appetizers and our main course.

Another 5-10 minutes and we didn't even have our sodas yet. Another waitress came by and asked if we had been helped, we said yes but we hadn't received our drinks yet , so she brought them for us and a few minutes later our server came by with our drinks and a basket of bread.

The appetizers took forever to come out and when they did they were decent. We were sitting there again for a while and a different waitress asked if we needed anything. When our dinner came out, my salmon was good, but my boyfriend ordered tri-tip with a loaded baked potato and what he got was a piece of beef that was like chewing on a rubber tire and an empty potato with a small plate of chives, butter and sour cream for him to load his own cold potato.

During this time I noticed we got our food before 2 other tables that were there before us. I also noticed the older man who seated us earlier, was chatting it up with the customers instead of standing outside to greet and seat people. And the people he did seat, he would give the same "hey so where are you all from?" banter he gave us. At one point when he did go back to the lobby, he ended up sitting down at a table with a couple as he was seating them! Talk about unprofessional. Oh and he was also bringing waters to tables and ended up spilling an entire glass on a guy he had just seated.

My boyfriend spoke with the server about not being happy with his meal and he nicely took it off our check. The older man came by and asked how everything was. When we expressed we were not happy with the service and felt we had waited a very long time for food, he told us that we hadn't waited THAT long and that the owner would be down to talk to us. The owner never came down so we paid our bill and got out of there.

I will say this, the few female servers that we encountered were on their game and seemed to be the only competent people working there. As for the rest, I suggest Robert Irvine from Restaurant Impossible go in there and whip that place into shape.

• Visited December 2012