“Older but complete” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Lodge   |   41121 Big Bear Blvd, P.O.Box 1726, CA 92315   |
Riverside
“Older but complete”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The cabins are 35 years old, but they are trying to keep them updated. Kitchens well stocked. They real thermostat so no constant adjustment of heater. A bathroom door may not close just right because of swelling, etc. Queen bed was against one wall which created some acrobatics. Room did have a Jacuzzi tub however not utilized.

Room Tip: Cabins as opposed to hotel must be much quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
La Mesa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

PLEASE think twice about staying here! We bk our reservation on orbiz and that made the mgt. up set. Wanted a upgrated rm pd another $92.00. The rm was misty smelling, the bathrm fan lound, T.V. outdated couldn't see it from the bed. Micro wave and frig not in good working order. Next day woke up in hives, blisters and rashes from head to toe. Showed mgt my skin condition, she argeed to comp. my rm. I needed to get home on a Medical Emergency. I asked her to e mail it to me. It took her 2wks of me constanly bugging her on the phone. When she did she put all kinds of restrictions on the comp. room. I told her that was not the deal so she said fine you get nothing at all. Had the dermatoglist due a bx and found out 99.9% chance of bed bugs! A month later and still not healed. Dr visit and 1 wk off work. Plenty of predsone for 3 wks! The rm came to $292.00 for 2 days and only stayed 1 night. I asked her at least give me back the $92.00 up grade. She said NO! Stay at Black Forest Lodge at your own risk!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tomas H, Manager at Black Forest Lodge, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
We tried everything to accomodate this customer and her husband. She checked in to our lodge on December 31st and complained that there was too much noise from the street so we moved her and her husband to the rear of the property. The next day this customer complained again and we offered to give her credit to come back but not during the holiday or weekend. This customer said that she would only take the credit on weekend which was not offered her. When customers sign our registration form it clearly states that there are no refunds for early checkout! We tried and were unable to accomodate this customer, but to no avail!
Newport Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We have been able to visit Big Bear and play in the snow several times because the Black Forest Lodge has affordable rooms and just what we need to enjoy our time there.

We have stayed in a small hotel room #24 (this is a cute small room with a Queen bed, gas fireplace, t.v., a dresser and chest of drawers and a restroom - of course); various hotel rooms above the lobby (all of which have Queen beds, gas fireplaces, a t.v., other furniture, bathroom and a small refrigerator and microwave) and just recently we stayed in room 5 (a small room with a Queen bed, wood-burning fireplace, an upholstered chair, a dresser and a bathroom) just perfect for what we needed. And the best part was that my 4 year old daughter was able to just go out the front door and flop into the snow!!! What Great Fun!

In all of my experiences our rooms have been clean and in good condition. Sure, some of them are a little out-dated but that is also some of the charm. Yes, some of carpets are more worn and dirty than others but when you think that ALL of us (especially in the winter) are tracking dirt and snow in and out constantly, the carpets are going to have wear. I am sure that the carpet could be replaced every year or season if you paid more (remember this is the more reasonable place to stay). And most of the entries into the rooms are right from the outdoors.

Also, I once saw a bad review for room #21. . . so I asked for a key to go see for myself. People are really brutal on these reviews (in my opinion). This room has its purpose (it wouldn't work for me because it is to big) but for youth groups or large groups where the girls could stay in room 21 and the boys in 20 (or visa versa). There are 4 Queen beds in each corner of the room, a large spa tub in front of the fireplace with a large t.v. above in the center of the room, a wet bar with a large counter and cabinets and a bathroom with a shower/tub. A fun sleep-over room. My daughter really got excited when we went in and asked if we could live there. It would be a fun gathering place for friends after playing in the snow or on the slopes.

As an overall, there is nothing for be to speak badly about. The staff is very nice and accommodating, all I have to do is ask for anything extra that I need (like towels, dish towels, soap to clean dishes, dishes, hair dryer, etc.) and they have provided pretty much anything that I have asked for. I cannot ask for a friendlier "Big Bear Home" as my daughter puts it.

Room Tip: The cabins and chalets off the road are quieter. Just ask to see different rooms/cabins to see what...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hello "Still the right choice for us",

Thank you for taking the time in your important day to give us a good review! We appriciate your comments.

Thanks again!
Irvine, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I enjoy going up to the mountains on weekends and snowboarding. We hadn't gone at all for the 2012 season until this first week of December! We saw what seemed to be a pretty sweet deal on a website for $190.00 for 2 nights. It was advertised as a cabin with a fireplace, jacuzzi and queen bed. My boyfriend and I drove up after work and got there around 7PM and checked in. From the street, the place doesn't look half bad! They had really festive Christmas lights and decorations going on. We checked in, and I was charged $210 to my card... We pulled around back and saw the rooms that are part of the regular hotel and we saw a few scattered cabins in the back. They all looked different and all had a different "theme." My boyfriend and I got the Log Cabin.

The location of the cabin was right up against the corner of the property, and it was so tiny and cute! I unlocked the door and turned on the lights.. The place was about the size of my pinkie. For some reason, the bed was angled really weird and just jutted out into the middle of the room, leaving barely enough space to walk between the bed frame and the jacuzzi. We literally had to walk sideways when passing between our your hips will get stuck on one or the other. There was a tiny little table with two super uncomfortable-looking table chairs. The nice thing about this cabin was the fact that it had a jacuzzi and a fireplace. We scrubbed down the entire jacuzzi, which seemed fairly clean and we started up a fire (wood bundles sold for $7 at the main office, sold for $4-$5 anywhere down the street). It was a nice, cozy experience! The jacuzzi was nice after we went snowboarding, the fireplace was a life saver. The heater kept making sounds throughout the night, but it was bearable for us. Don't walk around anywhere without your shoes on, my boyfriend and I packed our slippers with us.
BEWARE LADIES. THERE ARE SPIDERS. The lady in the front office tried to calm my nerves by telling me they were harmless spiders and whatnot, but when I find a nasty, black spider about the 2" in length just chilling in my jacuzzi when I first get into the room.. Not cool. And my boyfriend also saved me from walking into spider that was hanging from to doorframe right where my face would have been.
DO NOT USE ANYTHING IN THE ROOM WITHOUT WASHING. My boyfriend and I were trying to make some hot water for cider, we brought clean water with us (our only clean water by the way..) and ran it through the coffee maker, and it just had NOT been washed.. There were little white flakes in our water. When my boyfriend cleaned another part, there was a dead gnat in there. Dirty, dirty, dirty. We didn't even trust the glasses they left in the room, we tried to wash it but there was nothing to wipe it clean with. We tried using the 3 styrofoam cups that were sitting next to the microwave, and they had already been used.. All of the cups were sticking together with whatever liquid there was in there.
My boyfriend and I actually talked about how we were going to rate the room. 3 was way too generous and 2 was being nice. The wallpaper had been there since the 60s, carpet has been there since the 70s, and cobwebs in the different corners of the ceiling. The carpet was so gross, it's hard to tell because the room is so poorly lit. The bed sunk in where my boyfriend was sleeping, they need to get new mattresses.. The fireplace was GREAT! They give you phone books to rip up and to help start the log fires. My boyfriend and I really loved that fireplace, nice, roaring flames if you do it right!
This room was absolutely not worth $105 per night. I think it was worth maybe $40-$50. But they really need to take the extra $100 I paid for that cabin and seriously start updating the place. Two words for you: RIP. OFF.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
chico ,ca.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

sorry, but the lodge is nice the broshers are nice, the pictures of rooms are nice, but! when we got to our room, at 11.45pm, things definently wern't the same, room was small, real small 10x10,, smelled like someone had lived in room for days and smoked badly,even after airing out for 2 hours,(at midnite) still stank of smoke and damp, the heater cover fell off wall when i opened the pilot door to light, while the heater did light, it made such loud banging noises,picture a pan being hit with a wooden spoon, and was so obnoxiousafter 25 minutes, we finally shut it off, no extra blanket anywhere, and only 1 thin one on bed ,so we were pretty cold all nite!! thinking a nice warm shower would be good in the morning, but the shower just pissed out a small jumbled stream of water, shower hear all plugged up i guess, it was ridiclous and the shower head was frozen in a angle towards the shower wall so you had to press your face against the wall to get water in face or hair!! geez, room # 5 was just a crappy room all the way around, totally stained carpet, had to wear shoes all the time,,we only paid a decent price of 55.00 dollars butit was a room one would expect to pay maybe 30.00 for, won't stay there again even for 20.00... p.f.oh one nice feature of a the crap room?? it actually had a small rock fire place!

Room Tip: check room before paying.. maybe there are nice ones, but ours sucked!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Crossville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We spent Saturday night in the room with the fireplace and hot tub. Gas fireplace had 3 flames that reached a height of 1 inch. What a joke. The hot tub was great. No chairs in the room. The only place to sit to put on you shoes was the toilet. The room was very dated and needed a face lift. The fan in the bathroom was hanging open and the fan itself had been removed. No coffee maker in the room even though the lobby had addition coffee supplies for your room. The microwave would not even heat water. The TV was mounted in the wall about 10' off the floor and about 20' from the bed. It was an old tube type that was probably a 19" model. Hot and Cold water valves in wet bar and bathroom were plumbed backwards. It took forever to get the hot water flowing. No facial tissue in bathroom. However, the best was when the smoke alarm started chirping at 4:30am. This means the batteries are low. When I went to the lobby to talk to the manager she said "sorry" but offered no discount to the room rate that was already too high. Don't stay at this over priced OLD lodge.

Room Tip: Check the room before you agree to check in.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here in early October and enjoyed it. We stayed in the Berclare Cabin, and while it could use a little updating, we found it to be clean and comfortable. My only complaint was that there was a coffee maker and cups in the room, but had to go to the Lobby to get our morning coffee. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Black Forest Lodge? Share your experiences!