“Romantic, Cozy, CHEAP getaway!” 4 of 5 stars

Cozy Hollow Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40409 Big Bear Boulevard, PO Box 3541, CA 92315   |
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Los Ageles
“Romantic, Cozy, CHEAP getaway!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the lodge in Cabin #5--it was small but SO cozy and rustic! Wood burning fireplace, pine bed, exactly what you want while up in the mountains. It is within walking distance to stores, restaurants, etc. Would highly recommend.

Stayed August 2004

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2005

We made reservations for a romantic getaway at the Cozy Hollow Lodge in Big Bear Lake, California. The website shows comfortable little cabins with appealing decor. We checked into Cabin #9, the in-room spa cabin and supposedly the best cabin at the facility. It was clean and cozy - until we laid down for the night. The mattress was concave and far from comfortable. The thin eggcrate foam was not enough to shield our shoulders and hips from the wire supports that ran across the mattress - ouch. It was far from a restful night for us. BRING YOUR OWN MATTRESS.

We tried our best to ignore the horrible sleeping conditions and enjoy the rest of our cozy nest. In the morning, with well deserving stiff joints, we decided to use the spa tub for two. In order to turn the water on, you have to step into the tub to be able reach the knobs. I turned on the hot water first and SCALDING hot water bathed my toes. So I switched to cold and frigid water frooze my feet. I again tried my best to ignore this idiotic construction design and focus on the relaxing hot bath awaiting us. Unfortunately, the hot water heater is not quite large enough to fill the tub with HOT water so we took a tepid bath. Tepid water turns cold quickly, so we tried the hot water knob that brought so much scalding water earlier with no luck. Our tepid tub was hopelessly cold! BRING YOUR OWN HOT WATER.

It seemed an urgent matter to just get clean and get out of the cold water. Sorry no soap. BRING YOUR OWN SHAMPOO AND SOAP.

OK, forget the tub - we needed coffee. The cabin comes equipped with a tiny but functional kitchenette, including a coffee maker. Most lodging establishments will supply their guests with a bad tasting but free pre-packaged coffee bag. Sorry, BRING YOUR OWN COFFEE.

That was it - I was MAD. I could not spend another night in that room. I marched to the front office and tried my best to politely explain my dissatisfaction to the lodge owner. He politely apologized and agreed to allow my last minute cancellation for a small charge - $25.00. That seemed reasonable and generous to me. He counted back my change and in my haste to leave, I promptly wadded up the cash and put it in my pocket. It was not until later, upon checking into a new hotel, that I realized he had shorted me $20.00. BRING YOUR OWN CALCULATOR.

Our stay at the Cozy Hollow Lodge only cost me $195.00 for 12 hours of pure un-coziness.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

These cabins were very simple and nice. I give them above average rating because the price was right. We had a 2 bedroom cabin with a full kitchen and seperate living area for only $140. It was also one of the few places that did not have a restriction of 2 or more nights. The cabin was a bit hot and stuffy due to no air conditioning. I would definitely bring a fan if you come and with the windows open you will have a fine stay. At night it cooled off and with the window open we were very comfortable. There was a toaster, microwave, bottle opener and all kinds of utensils. There was a full sized fridge with plenty of room, pots, pans and all the dishes we could desire. The room was very clean and comfortable. There was a nice fireplace, but it was too hot outside to want to light it. The bathroom was located off the living area so it could be shared without waking anyone. There was a tub and a shower and plenty of towels and toiletries. There was a small kitchen table where we played cards at night. There were some chairs on a front deck where we could sit and cool off in the evening - granted, we were by the side of the road, but that didn't bother us. However, the traffic never stopped all through the night, so if you are bothered by road noise it might not be the place for you. There was also a climbing play structure for kids about ages 3 to 11.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Cozy Hollow Lodge? Share your experiences!