“Good memories” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Good memories”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I didn't know what to expect as i was part of a group booking and had ever been here before. My initial impression was that it was an absolutely beautiful setting. Just rustic enough to feel relaxed, and staffed enough for me to feel well taken care of. Kinda like a personal cabin where someone else cleans and provides fresh towels.

Room Tip: Each cabin I saw had a different charm
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is a rustic Cottages/Cabins Resort. Its not your traditional chain lodging with the fancy stars ratings and valet parking. Its family owned, managed, and operated. Can't ask for more of an ownership stake from the people who owns it. Very comfortable, in walking distances from the conv. store, marina, park, and mom/pop shopping. The owners are very knowledgeable of the Big Bear Area. They work with local businesses for discounts for their guests. I believe, its a 20% discount at the Marina for rentals, and even more at the wake board park. We'll be back for our next years family reunion.

Room Tip: Ask for business in the area GC have partnered with for guests discounts.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
redondo beach, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Upon my arrival from a long drive, there was no one to check us in. I called the number listed and she said she would be there in 15 minutes cause she had to pick up her kids. Well about 45 minutes of standing in the heat outside waiting she arrives, evidently they had to stop and by lunch too.
My reservation was a little messed up but I ended up getting a good deal on an upgrade.
We stayed in cabin 17, 2 story, 3+2. The size was great b/c I had 3 small dogs and 2 large teens.
Location was close to everything. But it was quite dusty with spider webs in corners and some places you can tell the maids never touch. In 1 draw in the kitchen there was rat poop, which really grossed us out.
We were there 4 days and there was a french fry w ketchup on the stairs to the pool the whole stay. So I can tell they were not to big on maintaining the grounds. Sometimes its the small things that count. Yes I could have thrown it away but I kept waiting for a staff to sweep the staircase, it never happened.
The beds, well lets just say its time for new ones!

Room Tip: #17 very spacous
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Redlands, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Our family of four had a very nice time at this Resort! We stayed in Cabin 8, which was plenty of space for us. The kids really enjoyed having the upstairs and downstairs and appreciated being able to play in the pool as well. The beds were comfortable and good sized. We had plenty of room for more to join us if we'd brought friends for the kids. The owners, Lisa and Lenny, were great, very friendly and helpful! It was a perfect place to stay for going up to Big Bear and having access to the lake and all the outdoor activities the area has to offer. We will stay again!
Jon S.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Redlands, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was my families 2nd visit to Big Bear. We were here in February and stayed at another cabin, which was extremely expensive, extremely small with a bed that was very uncomfortable. This time we chose to stay at Golden Bear Cottages! The cabin was cute with plenty of space for my family of four. The cabin was very clean & smelled great with a nice big jacuzzi tub in it! Our teenage son slept on the pull out sofa bed and said it was one of the most comfortable beds he's ever slept in. The staff (Lisa & Lenny) were very friendly and you can tell they take pride in running their business & keeping customers happy. There is a common area with picnic tables and grass with plenty of playing room for the kids to play. The kids enjoyed the pool & my husband enjoyed the spa. Would highly recommend these cabins to family & friends and we will definitely stay there again. Thank you Golden Bear Cottages for making our visit to Big Bear a positive one!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Great place to stay!!! We had a wonderful experience!!! The staff was very nice and helpfull with giving us advice on things to do in Big Bear!!! If you are looking for a nice clean cabin then I recommend it!!! We will be back again soon!!!

• Stayed May 2013
EL CAJON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed in a cabin that had a filled hot tub in it. Got in it the 1st nite and it was cold! Found out temp was set at 90something. So I set it at 103. They could tell you to turn it up or have a sign or something. There was also a lot of sand in it and I didn't smell any chemicals which made me wonder what I was going to catch and just how long that water had been sitting. So, we went to the pool, but found that unusable too cuz it had leaves, dirt, etc and the hot tub was the same except worse, it had a bunch of broken paint chips laying in the bottom. So, we walked around, the horseshoe pit was busted up (unusable) the ping pong table was all warped and nasty (unusable) and just completely unimpressed. At the office, they CHARGED $3 each no less to "rent" VHS movies and board games! Are you kidding me??! I've stayed at a lot of places and ALL the ones that have movies/games, etc are free. The cabins, well, their just as old and in need of a makeover as their website! They keep preaching 1920's restored, umm, the one we were in looked like it could collapse any time, and that looked like one of the nicest ones! We tried BBQ'in our 1st nite to find our grill was completely rusted out, which again, made it unusable, to use properly anyway. After waking up to a sore back and not much sleep from the bed I attempted a shower and had to squat the entire time cuz the showerhead only came up to my chest, and I'm 5'9", not a giant by any means. So, made a trip to the office for the 2nd time. We tried checking out the 1st day, but were told we would not get any refund. Also asked if we looked at the pics online...Yes, but the pics failed to show all the things discussed above! The next morning we made a 2nd attempt to get a refund, same thing, no and a bunch of excuses! They did clean the pool and change out our grill so they do try, but my biggest complaint would be the price, SOOOO not worth it! If they were $60-70/night, maybe...I told the guy that too and said we could do way better pretty much anywhere else for the same price or cheaper, he said I doubt it. We spent a few hours checking other places and could have switched for about $100 less/NIGHT. The only positives I can say for this place is they have a very warm pool, hot showers, and do TRY to accommodate you. There's a million NICE places to stay here, for the same price or cheaper. Wouldn't recommend to anyone for the price!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
LMDU, Manager at Golden Bear Cottages Resort, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
While we feel really blessed to house all kinds of people at our resort, we are unfortunatly unable to please everyone. Upon checking in, I actually asked this party if they would like me to upgeade them to a different cabin because there was a family that has stayed in their cabin numerous times and really wanted it again. The declined my offer. The came to the office after being in the cabin for over 4 hours to give their list of compliants. I sent the maintnence person to their cabin immediatly that evening and again first thing the next morning. The jacuzzi was on and hot (jusyt not hot enough for them), so we turned it up for them/. It had just been drained and chemicaled that morning before their arrival. Also, the outside Jacuzzi and Pool were clean and ready to use. There were a few pine needles in the pool and spa, but the wind blew them in again right after we claened it everytime, as it was quite windy while these guests were staying with us. It is unfortunate that we were not able to please everyone, and we understand that, however we did EVERYTHING THAT THESE GUESTS ASKED US TO DO AND MORE!!! We pride ourselves on the fact that we have great and cozy cabins that feel like home, and we appreciate and love our guests that keep coming back. We are sorry for any inconvinence that this family may have felt and we wish them well.

Been to Golden Bear Cottages Resort? Share your experiences!