What a disappointment for my family and I. We paid premium rate of $300/night so we had high expectations. Upon arrival, around 4pm, the front desk girl was not warm and inviting. She was aloof and cold. She said our room may not be ready. I stated we came after check in time. She said they were very busy so we might have to wait. Luckily, our room was ready but her attitude was sour. We had come from Doubletree Suites by Hilton, in Anaheim, where service was impeccable and they were no less busy. The hotel is beautiful from the outside but when we walked into the lobby, it was 80's throwback of my grandma's house. The pro's were the Christmas tree was beautifully decorated and the lounge area was lodge like and featured the Tiffany dome. When we entered our hotel room, there was an unpleasant deodorizer smell. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The fireplace featured gas/scented logs. Since there was no temperature control, we opted to use the fireplace but had to deal with the aroma of burning wood. The brass bed was strange and there were not enough power plugs to charge our phones. The furniture looked antique and the drawers were difficult to open and close. The Jacuzzi tube was so deep, I almost tripped on the side when getting out of it, each time. The first morning we took advantage of the free breakfast. The cook to order eggs, bacon and sausage were awful. The eggs tasted like Chinese fried rice. The restaurant staff were very nice, though. We stuck with the bagels, oatmeal and waffles, the remainder of our stay. The second night, we had dinner at the lounge. The bartender was very friendly and the fish and chips were delicious. The maintenance guy was very busy but always had a smile on his face. I felt sorry for him because he was running around like a chicken with his head cut off. I believe he was the only person handling the guest requests. If you are looking for the mountain lodge experience, this is not the place to stay. It is not in the village.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover this charming Big Bear Lake, California hotel-the closest full-service lodging to Snow Summit and Bear Mountain Ski Resorts. Welcome to the BEST WESTERN Big Bear Chateau, the perfect hotel for avid outdoorsmen and avid ski lovers alike. Located in inland Southern California, this Big Bear Lake hotel offers well-appointed guest rooms complete with a fireplace, pillow top mattresses, cable satellite television with Showtime and high-speed Internet access. The hotel offers an array of amenities including a seasonal outdoor heated swimming pool and hot tub, game room, fitness center, full business services and meeting/banquet facilities accommodating up to 140 people. The BEST WESTERN Big Bear Chateau also features the onsite Tiffany's cocktail lounge Serving a special food menu Friday and Saturday from 5:00-9:00 p.m. Guests staying at this California hotel will find themselves less than one mile from both Snow Summit and Bear Mountain Ski Resorts. The hotel also offers convenient access to outdoor activities such as hiking, golf, horseback riding, snowmobiling, fishing, sailing and skiing on Big Bear Lake. Less than ten miles away guests can also visit the Moonridge Zoo, Meadow Park and the Big Bear Convention Center. The BEST WESTERN Big Bear Chateau is ideal lodging for groups such as church camps, wedding parties or reunions taking place at Big Bear Lake. The city also hosts a variety of events including the Bear Country Fair, the Ride the Mountain Event, the International Chili Society Cook Off and the Big Bear Cowboy Gathering. The friendly, helpful staff at the BEST WESTERN Big Bear Chateau is ready to ensure a fun-filled memorable stay in Big Bear Lake, California. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your BEST WESTERN Big Bear Chateau reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Big Bear Chateau Hotel Big Bear Lake
- Best Western Big Bear Lake
- Big Bear Lake Best Western