“Tiny & Dank.” 2 of 5 stars

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

The pros:
Allowed us to stay 1 night, didn't impose a 2 night minimum
Convenient location
Nice continental breakfast location. Though the coffee was weak and tasted of cereal. Better off sticking to the coffee in the room.

The cons:
We stayed in room 25 for $150/night. This room has two beds and it is tiny. Upon opening the door we noticed the off musty smell. Kind of like piles of old wet things left sitting too long.

The room was so small that one of the beds was right next to the gas furnace. We had to have the furnace on since it dipped below freezing, but when the furnace fired up it woke me from sleep since it was so close to the bed. I could feel the blasts of heat.

Continental breakfast starts at 8:00 AM. Your room key won't open the door before then. Hope you weren't in a hurry to get anywhere!

The hardware for the bathroom was serious lacking. The toilet paper holder was pulling off the wall, and the only hook to hang towels on was a tiny brass picture hanger. The switch for the bathroom is in the "closet." Though "closet" is perhaps too grandiose s term - more like tiny nook with two plastic hangers and the bathroom switches. No door on the closet - there isn't room. There were 4 of us and we didn't bother unpacking anything since there was no where to unpack it to.

The wireless was unavailable due to a broken modem. No refund offered for this lack of service, though we didn't ask.

The lobby is only staffed after 8:00 AM. Asked the lobby where there might be some snow to take the kids, she reported that there was none. Explained that I didn't need vast fields of snow, just a little bit so the kids could crunch their snow boots in some. She repeated that there wasn't any, and that the only snow was to be found in a ski resort. Hopped in the car and found plenty of snow off a road up the mountain a little way. So either she was daft, or didn't like tourists exploring the town.

Overall a disappointing experience. For $150 a night I expect a lot more: clean air, unobtrusive central heat, a closet, and maybe even a dresser large enough to hold my dainties.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

I stayed there a while ago but didn't even sleep there. There was a family emergency and we had to leave. Keep in mind that I never even entered the room and there were people looking for hotels all over Big Bear during the holidays. They will not give me a refund even though it was early in the evening and there were many people looking for hotel rooms. I personally think they wanted to charge me and then rent it out to someone else and charge them but that is just my guess.

As I told them my story in an apologetic tone, they immediately got on the defense mode and became very rude and unprofessional. Their tone was extremely rude! They could have easily fixed my problem but refused to and worse of all, treated me like an a hole while doing it. I don't normally write reviews but I MUST send this one out to inform people what kind of people they are dealing with here. I am a very reasonable person and come across really nice when there are issues and they just walked all over me. VERY DISSAPOINTING

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
south bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

This place RoCkS!!! My kiddos and I headed to Big Bear for a snow play day. And we had a AWESOME time. The staff was great, they even lend you sleds and tell you where to go. The suite was perfect for me and my little guys and very very clean. The jacuzzi tub was the best part!!! For continental breakfast, we got fresh banana waffles made to order!!! This is definitely the place to go!!! Thanks everyone:-)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

We escaped LA and ventured up to Big Bear for some fall-like weather and hiking. The location is great -- walking distance to the downtown area and various restaurants, a Starbucks down the street, and a few other places. It's about a 10 minute drive to the discovery center on the other side of the lake which is a great base for some day hikes. The rooms are a bit dated, but they're what you expect at a mountain lodge. We drove by some other places that looked nice, but it seems like they're all about the same. If you want to walk around town and have a few cocktails at dinner (without worrying about driving), this is the place to stay!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Arcadia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

My family and I decided to take a last miniute trip to Big Bear, We stayed at Fireside before and had a great time, our kids really enjoyed comming back to this property. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were clean, walking distance to the vilage, food, shoping and the movies, The bowling alley is across the street whitch made baby sitting for our kids a breeze, heck even Mom and Dad got into the spirit rolling the ball down the alley, after we walked to the movie theatre, As a repeat guest we received a spl gift and discount this coupled with the free breakfast reall added to our stay. We will be back again soon, Jackie & Allen

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

My wife and I and sometimes other family members have been yearly guest at the Fireside Lodge. But recently the lodge is now under new management and things have changed. I had a misunderstanding about my reservation so I called to get more information. I spoke to the clerk Jasmin. She was very unprofessional and rude. she was rushing me off the phone so I requested to speak with the owner. That's when she transferred me to the manager Jacklyn. Well that was not any better. She would not let me speak and claimed she was very busy. The management there literally started to argue with me over the phone. They are very rude and unprofessional. The attitude was very short and negative not to mention snobby. I will no longer be staying at the Fireside Lodge Big Bear. This is not the way customer service should be. I suggest that the owners of this lodge looked into better employees with better customer service skills. I have never been treated in this manner before by your management. I did request to contact the owner but Jacklyn stated "this is it".

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Chino, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

Read about this motel on Trip Advisor & decided to go on a whim for my birthday. Reserved a lakeview suite thru the motel's website, which had cheaper pricing than Expedia, etc.. I paid approx. $156 for a lakeview "suite", which I normally wouldn't spend for 1 nite, but the website said the suite had 2 TV's & 2 bathrooms, which I thought would be perfect for myself & my 11 yr old. Apparently they took 2 small motel rooms & combined into 1. One entrance has a bathroom, a kitchenette with micro & fridge & the L/R which has a futon bed, fireplace, computer desk & TV above it. The SMALL bedroom also had a computer desk w/TV over it & bathroom by 2nd entrance. Both areas had sliding glass doors & extended balcony w/chairs & table. The only problem with the chairs was that when you sit down your lake view is obstructed by balcony railing which ends up being at exact eye level. The view was good enough, however you are situated behind a few houses that are directly on the lakefront. The only real problem I encountered was the loud drunken party people right next door, also celebrating a birthday. I like fresh air but had to close my slider at night cuz of the partying they were doing on their balcony, which sucked. I didn't complain to the office because my friends & I used to be like that when we were younger & they eventually passed out anyway around 9 pm. Next time I go I will make mention of this in hopes of not being placed next door to younger party people.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Fireside Lodge? Share your experiences!