“Super fun & special kitschy sweetness!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Castle Wood Theme Cottages to your Saves list
Castle Wood Theme Cottages
2.5 of 5 Cottage   |   547 Main Street, PO Box 1746, CA 92315   |
Brooklyn, New York
“Super fun & special kitschy sweetness!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Crystal Cave and had a blast!! We were there during a crazy storm and had to spend way more time in the cottage than we planned to and it was silly cool fun! The bath was an adventure for sure, fire was super cozy and the cavern theme was funky and fun. We grabbed some goodies from town after dinner to have an at home party to weather the storm and enjoyed a home adventure in this cave-like cottage from dreamtime. The family that ran this place were not only accommodating but went above & beyond to help. Sweet, good people. We hope to go back someday;)

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Irvine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary in "Antony and Cleopatra" cottage in Castlewood cottages.

Pros
Though the cottage was very small, it was very cute! No common walls, small independent cottage.
Very different from other cabin cottages - felt unreal "out of the world"!!
The wall paintings, decoration, artifacts were all Egyptian themed ones.
Great location. Walking distance to many nearby restaurants.
Restroom was spacious!! And a romantic one too...

Con
I also ordered a rose arrangement to add to the romantic ambience. But, it was an artificial one and sparsely decorated which was a little disappointing.
Though the in room hot tub was working, they did not provide a bubble bath(let alone a decent bathing soap). The face soap was hard and harsh. So, please bring your own!

• Stayed September 2013
thetimberlinelodge, Manager at Castle Wood Theme Cottages, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for your business, and your comments are always appreciated. We are glad to hear that you choose Castle Wood Cottages to celebrate your anniversary in "Antony and Cleopatra" cottage in Castlewood cottages in Big Bear Lake, CA.We have upgraded our facial soap as you have suggested, and we thank you for your comments,as we try to make every visit special for our guest. For that extra little romantic experience we do offer a romance large gift basket that includes Crackers, Cheese, Salami, Popcorn, Martininelli Sparkling Apple Cider, Lotion, Bubble Bath, Bath Fizzes, Body Wash, Turndown Service, Silk Rose Pedals and a Long Stem Silk Rose (we Do Not Use real rose petals as they stain the linens and stick to the sheets), and Candles around your In-Room Jacuzzi all before you arrive for an additional $75 for that special romantic touch saying I Love You.
We look forward to having as our again!
Thank you for your comments.
Kevin
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I am sad to see some of the more critical reviews posted on this site. I have been a returning Castlewood patron for quite some time, and have stayed in the Woodland Treehouse, Enchanted Forest, Captain's Quarters, Gone With The Wind, and Castle Garden cabins, a few of them multiple times, and am looking forward to a stay in the Antony and Cleopatra cabin in a couple of weeks. If you are expecting ritzy 2000 thread count sheets, newly remodeled light fixtures and paint, room service, top-notch wifi and pay-per-view, fine china and gourmet instant coffee, you should take your money to one of the lakeside resorts. If you are expecting a delightfully whimsical, tongue-in-cheek take on fantasy romance, backed by hand-painted murals and mismatched dishware, you are in the right place. We have had the most delightful time EVERY time. We typically bring our record player and musical instruments along and soak in the lake views along with the terrific attention to detail paid in these lovely little cabins. Yes, some of them are small, but we have never been dissatisfied with the layout and have always had plenty of room to enjoy ourselves. The Castle Garden is our absolute favorite and worth every penny, especially with the 30% multiple night discount offered through the website. The proprietor Fendi has always been extremely helpful, especially one particular night where we ended up getting into Big Bear well into the evening to check in. If you are a lover of vintage and quirk, you will have a divine time. Another great tip is to bring your bikes along. It's a hop skip and a jump into Big Bear Village for dinner or drinks, and we were able to pick up the 15 mile bike trail around the lake near Castlewood as well. The only trick here is to know what you're getting. You have to have a sense of humor about a place like this. You simply can't stay here and take yourselves seriously. Just lighten up a bit, and, trust me, you'll be terribly sad to leave. Which is why we keep coming back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed at castle wood a couple times (enchanted Forrest and castle garden). Each time has been fun! Some Next time we are going to try the "tree house"! Very friendly very accommodating! Deffinatly recommended! The owner makes every effort to ensure you are well taken care of!

• Stayed August 2013
Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This funky little property is tucked into a neighborhood just off the main road in Big Bear. We were there in the summer and stayed in the Antony & Cleopatra Cabin. The cabin was tiny but packed full of interest. To be honest, it was clearly a 3 star room, but I'm going to give it 4 stars just for the fun factor. The decor is a hoot. The murals are acutally quite good, the bed is all drapey, and there are great little Egyptian "artifacts" around the room. I loved the little touches like the papyri that are grouted right into the bathroom walls. The walls, shower, vanity, etc are made from a stained, decorated concrete that definitely give you a tomb-like feeling. It's cool! The bathroom has a nice walk in shower with "stone" walls and great paintings.

There are lots of pros: huge jetted tub right in the bedroom (awesome), the decor is totally entertaining, it comes with costumes!! (how many times have you stayed in a room that comes with matching costumes? me neither), it feels very private and romantic, and the family that owns and runs the place are all sooooper nice. It's a very easy walk to live music on the water, cocktails, and a couple great places to eat.

On the con side: maybe not the cleanest (ick, but maybe that adds to the ancient Egyptian feeling?), costumes were a cute idea but in pretty bad condition, bed not so comfy, small, dark, TV is teency. I would advise you to skip the "romance package". The rose petals are fabric and clearly used before. Spend the $25 on bringing a nice smelling candle of your own and a couple real flowers.

Basically if you are looking for a night of room service and pay-per-view on the flat screen you are way off base. If you want a quirky experience at a fun little place for a night or two, I would definitely recommend. Next time I am in Big Bear I will probably try it again and this time one of the bigger, nicer suites.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
thetimberlinelodge, Manager at Castle Wood Theme Cottages, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank you for the review and staying with us. In our romance package "Turn Down Service", Silk Rose Petals, Long Stem Silk Rose and Candles arranged around the in-room jacuzzi (the $25 romance package), we use silk rose petals and silk long stem rose on the bedding to avoid staining of the linens. We do also offer 1 dozen hand dipped chocolate covered strawberry's as well as large gift baskets in our other romance gift packages as well to make your stay just that much more romantic! We look forward to serving you again, and as always, we appreciate your business and your returning business!
Fontana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I've stayed here twice, in the Castle Garden and the treehouse themed cabins. Both were amazing but I'll just describe the Castle Garden to keep my review short. Let me start by saying I'm your typical guy. I usually dont notice or appreciate detail, and if my girlfriend was to cut 4 inches off her hair there is a good chance I wouldnt even notice. That being said, the details involved in creating the "castle" themed interior of this place were breathtaking. There are three different levels to this cottage. The bottom level has a long wooden dining table, kitchen and bathroom, all designed to resemble the interior of a medieval times castle. The second level has a huge jacuzzi, an actual life size Knight in full armor, a tree swing (yes, there is a tree inside the cottage), and a running moat that you can turn on and off. A spiral staircase leads you up to the third level where a very comfortable king size, king-style bed and fireplace are. I couldnt begin to describe all the other minor details and thought that have been put into successfully creating the "Castle Garden" theme, you'll have to see it all for yourself, but I guarantee you'll be happy you did.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I read a the negative reviews before I came and I booked anyway, and found I had an entirely positive experience. The thing I noticed with the bad reviews were those people generally stayed in the smaller cabins and in the winter when it was cold. My husband and I stayed in the enchanted forest cottage during the summer, so we had a different experience.

We were pleased with our room when we walked in, it was actually more than we were expecting. The place was amazing and quaint with little surprises everywhere, it was fun to explore it all. Also huge too, with three levels. We were happy with the roses on the bed and candles around the bath, also gift basket with cheese, crackers, bath soaps, cookies, and sparkling cider.

The surrounding area was very quiet but we likes that and thought the grounds were well-maintained. It was very close to the lake and other amenities. All and all suffice it to say we will be returning.

Room Tip: I would book one of the bigger cottages, king Arther's, tree house, or enchanted forest if you a...