“Will Come Back Again” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   40360 Lakeview Drive, CA 92315   |
Fullerton, Ca.
“Will Come Back Again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

We enjoyed our stay at the lodge. Our room was equipped with a refrigerator and microwave which was convenient for quick meals. Our room was very comfortable and had a nice fireplace. Most memorable was the amazing view of the lake. We would watch the sunrise from our balcony and take in all the beauty. The lodge is very close to Big Bear Village where there are many fun shops and terrific restaurants.

• Liked — Clean room and beautiful lake view
  • Disliked — The floors in hallway are hollow sounding and very loud when people walk down halls.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
lakewood
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

I booked this through the internet. When we (my sister, daughter, and a friend) got there, I was told that the internet had "overbooked" the hotel, (even though the parking lot was empty) and we had nowhere to stay. I was assured that I would not be charged. Later in the month, I received my cc bill, which showed the charge. When asked, Big Bear Lakefront Lodge claimed that I had never been there to claim my room, and I would be charged the entire amount. I don't know if it was because of my appearance, last name, or if they just thought I was just stupid. I don't want to throw out the race card, but I guess I just did, for the first time in my life. Glenn Fukushima

Stayed January 2008
Newcastle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

I stayed at this motel for two nights and found it to be satisfactory.

The location is convenient for the town centre. It's just a short walk away, which for the price was a pleasant surprise.
The rooms are pretty basic but clean. They could do with a new paint job but it was warm enough.

We had plenty of hot water and was able to use wifi in the room.

The lodge is right on the lake and offers some amazing views. It was frozen over as it was january but I imagine this would be a great place to stay in the Summer.

The lodge is also close to the ski area, which is fantastic considering you are just two hours drive from the beach.
The snow conditions were perfect, although the runs are short compared to what you can get in Europe.

All in all. This accommodation is good for the price. However, in this area if you want something a little more luxurious be prepared to pay double or triple for it.

• Liked — close to town
  • Disliked — plastic mattress covers
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UPLAND
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

My friend, her dog, my daughter, and I decided to make a last minute trip to Big Bear to see the snow. We booked our room online and were on our way. We arrived 20 minutes after the office closed for the evening and the employee for the evening was nice enough to come back and check us in. We paid $140 for a lakeview room with two beds, kitchenette, and electric fireplace. She charged our credit card, handed us our key, and was on her way. The view was great but the room was horrible. WE HAD NO HEAT and NOT A WORKING FIREPLACE. We called the employee back and was told to wait 30 minutes and the heat would come on. 30 minutes came and went and still no heat. We had no one to call. We froze all night all in one bed. 8:30 am, 9:00, 9:30, and 10:00 we made numerous trips to the office and still no one there...meanwhile the office hours posted were 8 am to 8 pm. We gathered our belongings and left with the key. Finally, around noon, we returned to the establishment with the key only to get a chilly reception and no apologies. The new lady at the front desk was extremely rude and wanted to hear none of our story, claiming she wasn't the manager and she could do nothing about it. We left that place Tuesday morning and it is now Thursday and have yet to receive a phone call from the manager or anyone else for that matter. That place has absolutely no idea what customer service is, and they need to clean the trash from behind the beds. WE WILL NOT BE GOING BACK.

• Liked — IT DID HAVE A NICE VIEW OF THE LAKE
  • Disliked — NO HEAT AND TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Management17, Operations Mgr at Big Bear Lake Front Lodge, responded to this review, February 18, 2009
There were two heaters in the room you stayed in. The fireplace had a switch on the wall that needed to be flipped up to be activated. When the night manager called you back immediatetly after you called our answering service (most lodges in Big Bear close early during inclement weather) and indicated that you needed to turn the switch on to turn the heat on she felt everything was okay and you had located the switch above the fireplace (gas) and the wall thermostat. It does take 20 minutes or so for a room to warm up once the heat is turned on. It's a shame you didn't call us back as we have a night mtnce. tech that could have assisted you. The manager was in the laundry room when you came by the office and was never aware you were still unhappy as you didn't call her back the night before.
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

My family and I try to get up tp Big Bear every summer, and love the feeling of being far enough removed from our San Diego home but close
enough that we're looking at only a two and a half hour drive each way.
We decided to stray away from our normal lodge this past summer and looked for someplace new, and what a FIND. The Big Bear Lakefront Lodge is our new digs. Wonderful view of the lake, mountains, and sunsets. Easy access to the major roads but also secluded and very quiet so no highway noise.

SInce we were used to another facility for so many years I used Tripadvisor to read numerous reviews of many properties and I was so amused by the "horror stories" people write about lodging in the mountains. Yes folks there are bugs and squirrels and probably other creepy crawly things all over the place, but try to remember...YOUR OUTDOORS in THE WOODS, sheesh!!! If you want 5 Star type accomodations
don't even bother going to the mountains, if you're looking for charm,
nature and the opportunity for family bonding, then Big Bear Lake and this little treasure are for you.

Pluses...good location and great views, you are right on the lake, ask
for a room facing the lake, rooms are hotel style with kitchens, fireplaces, full baths, and very good front office and room staff, there is a small play area with table games and vending machines. The downside...Property grounds are a bit small, as my family was used to running around and playing games like Whiffle Ball, Volleyball and pretty much taking over the old place we stayed at, which was a cabin property and allowed the kids and myself to stretch out more and just hang out on the grounds.

There is no pool here, but there is that great big blue lake just calling your name. Parking is a bit tight, but thats because people were taking two spaces for their boat trailers so if your bringing a boat you may want to call the property and ask for suggestions.

Overall on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being best...We gave it a 4 1/2.

Stayed August 2007
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

Stayed at Big Bear Lodge dec26-28, 2007, 2 adults, 2 kids.

Upon arriving for checkin, the more than unfriendly lady at the front desk told us to come back later, as our room wasnt ready, because they were "short staffed" and hadnt cleaned our room yet. We shrugged it off, and decided to hit the slopes. While we were snowboarding we got a rude phonecall to our cell phone, saying if we didnt come immediately to check in, they were going to give our room away to someone else. (this is after we gave them our creditcard number 3 different times) We explained that since our room wasnt ready we decided not to let the day go to waste... After skiing, we went back to check in, where their creditcard machine still wasnt working. Checked in, got our key, and then we weren't even pointed in the right direction of our room, even after asking.

That night we attempted to take a shower, but the water from the tap was ice cold, we called and complained, and the front desk explained that when multiple people were trying to shower, they 'ran' out of hot water. ok, maybe it was just a busy time.... next morning, at 7:30am, we tried again, no luck, still freezing cold water. another call to the front desk and they told us to leave the tap running for about 1/2 an hour, still no luck... we went skiing, came back around 8pm, and again tried to take a shower, STILL no hot water, another call to the front desk and we were told to try later. Keep in mind we have 2 children with us, who havnt showered in 3 days. The next morning around 9am, we tried again, still no hot water, I decide to go myself to the front desk... where I was greeted by an incredible rude lady, named Sue, who told me someone would be in later that afternoon to look into the problem. Only problem is we had to check out by 11am, so after 3 days at the Big Bear Lakefront Lodge, not one person in my family was able to take a shower. and not any sympathy from the staff working there.

One last note, when the staff DID stop by to clean our room during our stay, they didnt even clean anything other then make the beds.... our coffee pot wasnt cleaned, the coffee wasnt refilled, the wrappers from the coffee weren't discarded... and they 'forgot' to restock toilet paper leaving us with not more then a single square....Hotel was incredibly run down, light bulbs missing etc....

BEST OF ALL THEY CHARGED US $357 FOR A 2 NIGHT STAY!

I will be reporting this hotel and their employees to the BIG BEAR lake chamber of commerce, so hopefully this wont happen again, but i would recommend you look into another 'resort'

• Liked — That they allowed my 2 little dogs to board with us...
  • Disliked — THE STAFF, and the lack of hot water!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
long beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

The beds in this hotel are so uncomfortable. No cushion, plastic mattress covers, then the thinnest sheet that wouldn't stay on the bed. The room was so hot ( no heat was on) even though it was a beautiful cool night. We could not even leave the sliding glass door open to cool off at night because what the hotel called a "wrap around patio" was actually a narrow walkway. Anyone could walk right up and enter our room from a screen door.
I cancelled our second night at the hotel. Believe the negative reviews. You will not be happy here. We visited a lot of other available rentals that were much nicer.

Stayed June 2007

Been to Big Bear Lake Front Lodge? Share your experiences!