“I Loved It, But Not Much to Do For Young Kids” 4 of 5 stars

(909) 585-8100
Website
Improve this listing
orange county, california
“I Loved It, But Not Much to Do For Young Kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

My husband, 5 year old daughter, and I visited the Big Bear Historical Museum. I loved it. It is run by the Big Bear Historical Society. Their website states correctly that it has "an extensive collection of artifacts, featuring exhibits from the indigenous Serrano Indians, the gold mining era, cowboys and cattle ranching, logging, ..." There were several actual old buildings: an old schoolhouse, log cabin, mule barn, and horseshoeing area. I was impressed by the number of artifacts they had from the 1800's - machinery, school items, pictures, gold panning apparatus, kitchenware, and other paraphernalia.

They also had many pictures of the Big Bear Dam and its history. The docents were very interesting and knowledgeable.

Though I found it interesting, my husband was bored because the 1800 time period did not interest him. And my daughter was bored because she wanted hands-on activities and they only had gold-panning.

I recommend this for those of you who love the history.

If I remember, only a donation is asked for. They also have a small gift shop.

Visited June 2011