“Too dirty, too noisy, don't stay” 1 of 5 stars

Knights Inn Big Bear Lake
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   40598 Big Bear Blvd., CA 92315   |
Ranked #14 of 17 Big Bear Region B&B and Inns
Foz do Iguacu, PR
“Too dirty, too noisy, don't stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Probably it was a nice place to stay in the past - two room suite with kitchen. But now, run down, no maintenance, dirty like I've never seen before, and the noisiest heater I've ever heard in my life, which would periodically wake us up through-out the night with its loud "tic-tic-tic".

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Ok so I read all the reviews before we went and stayed there for one night over the weekend and we had gotten the family suite with 3 beds for 4 of us for about $120.00. I think that was a great price to share for what we got because we were just looking for a place to sleep at night while we were snowboarding for the weekend. The heater works, there are clean beds even though they are hard, and a bathroom with shower. If u expect more than that dont go. The rooms dont look the greatest, there was no pots or pans to cook with and the breakfest sucks but again that stuff didnt matter to us so I would say if I cant find something else around the same price I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The nastiest hotel I've experienced. Some would say you get what you pay for, but paying $100 for one night is not a small amount in my book, and no matter the price, there is no excuse for lack of sanitation, and cleanliness. I got a cheaper room thinking, I don't need fancy, as long as it's clean. IT WAS NOT.
Every fabric in the room from the curtains, floor carpet, to bed covers was falling apart, dusty and dirty with spots. Gross. The toilet was coming apart, with cracks and holes everywhere.
Also, the complementary breakfast was a joke. Nowhere to sit, no actual breakfast, just a packaged cookie and a cup of coffee.
Did I mention the raccoon going through the huge dumpster that was overflowing in the parking lot, right next to where my car was parked?
Seriously, there is NO excuse for this. Shame on the people who run this place. All I can
conclude is that this place has no integrity, cares very little for its customers, and I hope it goes out of business so no one has to be this disappointed again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
El Cajon, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is the most disgusting hotel i have ever seen!!! I am in it right now writing a review calling other hotels looking for vacancy...the window has a piece of wood in it as a lock. The shower has mold. Linoleum floors with tears. The tv is older than me and im almost 30. Great waste of money i had no idea the hotel could possibly be this bad given its proximity to the town....so bad we refuse to take a shower and or going to wait 2 days til we get to disneyland

Room Tip: Turn around and leave do not book i posted a bunch of pictures on yelp
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

When we arrived in the lobby it looked homely and inviting. Not first class, but this is the mountains. The staff were very friendly and nice so you couldn't fault them for that. After the greeting were out of the way, we were gave our room keys and disturbing directions to another building that was not assessable unless you had a 4x4! I was already starting worry, when we got to the room I was terrified! We had to carry our bags up a back staircase, no lifts, to our room that was right on the staircase! The room it's self had not only seen better days it was not even fit for a soup kitchen regular! The heating was gas fired with no carbon monoxide alarm, and as a director of a gas heating company I would have condemned the heater if it was in England!
The bathroom was actually disgusting and was as far as I could tell more of a death trap than shower room.
Please, please look for somewhere else to stay until this company knock down this hotel and rebuild. Because it does not matter how much they spend refurbishing this building it will still be terribly insulated and set out!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Joshua Tree
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

OK, so I was in a hurry to reserve a room because my pirate jam band had a big performance in nearby Lake Arrowhead. In Lake Arrowhead, every hotel requires a two-night stay on weekends, so if I didn't want to drive all the way back down the mountain in the wee hours of the morning, Big Bear was my choice.
I didn't want to spend a ton of money, and I needed to get a reservation and get on to other things, so I didn't do as in-depth of an investigation as usual. Too bad for me.
First off, the front desk clerk was very pleasant, and while I find it odd that they filled in their swimming pool with dirt and planted it with grass, the motel is located in a very convenient location.
But once I opened the door to my room, the reality of my mistake set in.
First, in the front of the room, the carpet was stained and abused, as if someone had brought their Harley into the room, changed the oil, and worked on the engine for a weekend. It was bad. The furniture was broken, lampshade ripped, and there was filth and what appeared to be rodent feces in the front corner of the room. The beds, while very basic, were clean, and the bathroom had somewhat been remodeled, though there were problems there as well - missing light bulbs, beat to hell toilet seat - signs of far gone neglect that stood out even more with the tile job around them.
But, I had booked the room, and had to be off to arrrrgghhh performance. When I returned, around 2 a.m., I was exhausted and in no state of mind to be overly critical. I wanted rest. But slight scurrying noises kept me awake for some time until I became too tired to care.
I didn't hang around in the morning, or try their breakfast, if they had one. I just showered and got the hell out of there. I was not pleased, but I survived just fine. The front desk clerk knew better than to ask me how I liked my stay. Oh, and there appeared to be a room down the way that had a broken window that I noticed on my way out.
When I got back home, I contacted the Knights Inn/Wyndham folks about my concerns and told them if it was my motel chain, I certainly would not allow my brand to be associated with a place this bad off. Instead of taking any action, they forwarded my note to the hotel owner (Knights Inns are independently owned, like Best Western, but that's as far as that resemblance goes). He left me a long message about their hard luck story and how much they are working to do better, and how I could have a free night's stay if I returned, which I have no intention of doing. He sounded like a nice guy, but if I was Wyndham, I would have given out a refund and taken action to disassociate my brand with this dump.
Bottom line: Do NOT stay here. If, at some point far in the future you are tempted, make sure to go and personally ask to see the room prior to your stay. There are many places to stay in Big Bear, so you do not need to stay here. This was the worst hotel/motel I've stayed in (and I travel a lot), since the Hotel Luxemburgo in Thessalonika almost 15 years ago.

Room Tip: Pick a room in a different motel. Do NOT stay here.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Tustin, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here during Christmas week 2011. The management is extremely nice and helpful but it cannot make up for the horrible facility. The hotel looks like it was purchased in a foreclosure sale and reopened without investing one penny into rehabing it. The building is musty smelling. The carpets were last cleaned during the Nixon administration. Paper thin walls and doors allow for noise to penetrate from everywhere. Our bathroom had a shower head that was so low that only my six year old daughter could use it. The heater was a very old wall heater that kept going out and you were affraid to try to reignite it due to fear of blowing up the entire building. There is a pool that is empty and in need of A LOT of renovations. The furniture is at least 30 years old and falling apart. I thought that I would never say this, but pay the extra $10 and stay at the Motel 6. The Motel 6 is a 5 star accomodation compared to this place!

Room Tip: The only good room is a room at another hotel!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Knights Inn Big Bear Lake? Share your experiences!