“Like visiting relatives that don't really want you around !” 3 of 5 stars

You added Knickerbocker Mansion Country Inn to your Saves list
Knickerbocker Mansion Country Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   869 Knickerbocker Road, PO Box 1907, CA 92315   |
Los Angeles, CA
“Like visiting relatives that don't really want you around !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Good:
The Location is Great. the property is great, compared to most Hotels in Big bear, the rooms are very nice, clean, and offer very nice views (although a small dresser would have been helpful). The bad:
The owner makes you feel like you are intruding, there is no attempt by owners to acknowledge you (despite multiple attempts) , and no feeling of a "bed & breakfast" environment. In a Hotel at least you might get a "how are you enjoying your stay" as you pass the front desk, in the mansion the owner is busy reading a book, skypeing during breakfast or otherwise ignoring your presence entirely (to be fair, Mr. Miller was away this weekend and the comments are aimed at owner Thomas).

Room Tip: both lakeview and forest view rooms have nice view of forest (not much of a lake view from room)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Carlsbad, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My daughters and myself just returned from a very expensive weekend at Knickerbockers. The room for two nights was $725. being President's weekend. Had to stay at the Carriage House since 3 of us and one slept on the extra bed set up. This cost an extra $75/night and both my girls complained how terribly uncomfortable it was. Friday night we bought dinner and paid over $100. Food was good, but it was odd as we were the only ones there until other came later that night. The fireplace wasn't lit and we always felt like we were an inconvience being there. Stan was not there and Thomas showed us around but never so much as said hello or greeted us after that. Only time I heard him speak was criticizing his workers. Our room was cold, but quickly heated up and had a fireplace in it. The room had a loud buzzing sound that gave me a headache - maybe from small freezer in the room? We could hear people all around us and I had trouble sleeping with people walking above us. Breakfast was nice, but some choices were odd - spicy mexican caserole with raspberry scone. Also breakfast was served 8:30-9 and that was it. It really made for a late start when I had already paid for a full day lift ticket at the slopes and had to choose whether to ski more or to wait for breakfast. Just assumed they would be accomidating to those planning to ski, but I was wrong. I've stayed at B&B's but this was the most disappointing. I will not be staying here again. I agree with other reviewers - the owners should choose to do something they enjoy - it was clear this is not their passion and it showed in the people there and how we felt being there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
La Costa, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Very nice meal. This was our second visit as we went over NY as well on 12/30. Wonderful meals and we tried much on the menu...salmon, petite filet, lobster macaroni, sciopino, seared tuna...All were superb. We brought our own wine ($18 fee) so we can't comment on the wine selection. View cozy decor and small dining area. Easy parking and close to the village. We live in big bear half the time and no locals ever told us about this place. I read the numerous negative reviews and was a bit surprised. Thomas was nice to when when I booked the dinner reservation and when I called to say I was running a few minutes late due to massive traffic on the main road. Service was excellent and we will be back. Not a place for kids and I was glad that the couple with the squalling baby were kind (and smart) enough to walk the child outside so the rest of the diners could enjoy their meal. There is a Denny's to go to with noisy kids. This is not the place. Decor was lovely and I'd like to see the rooms some time.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Do not book your reservation and plan to cancel. If you do the owner will charge you the full amount immediately on your credit card. I plan on contacting my bank and fighiting this as the owner (Stan) advised me kids were invited of any age so my wife and I booked a room with our two children. Never did he tell me that its one adult and one chid of any age meaning two max per room. They need to get their terms & conditions straight and these confusions can be avoided.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Montrose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I loved forest setting a long distance from the 18. Lakeview II room was fine with good view of snow covered forest. Breakfast was superb and both Stan and his wife are great folks who work hard to maintain B&B. Great holiday decor, DVD and VHS selection. Manor was real hospitable with Tea & HC all day and night.

Enter on left of sign, can't get up the iced road to right Plumming is noisy, can hear every bath and shower. Like many Big Bear lodging options this is not a place for wild vocal lovers.

I have been coming to Big Bear for 50+ years and my family for 75+ years. The Knickerbocker Inn is one of the most hospitable and remote places I have stayed. I will stay here again on a future trip.

Room Tip: Lakeview II nice view of forest, upstairs in back, good for 2 people, nice decor, plumming fine, icy...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Big Bear Lake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stan was thorough and very helpful. The rooms were clean and fresh with homemade fudge for us to eat in the room. In the lobby, they had coffee and cakes for an afternoon snack. Just a few blocks from SnowSummit, it was super easy to get around. A stones throw from downtown BigBear Village, we had a great dinner at Sweet Basil's Bistro! Awesome dinner. If you stay at The Knickerbocker on a weekend, they serve gourmet dinner there! The breakfast was included in the price and we went down stairs (we were in the outside building) for a great breakfast overlooking beautiful Big Bear Lake. I'd definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Spent a very lovely 3 nights stay for New Years with my young son and husband. Stayed in the Carriage House Suite..which was very spacious. Has a fire place too! The Inn is 5 - 10 minutes away from Snow Summit and you can walk to the village (maybe 3 blocks if that) The food was fantastic, well prepared and presented. The Inn's restraunt is a Bistro, and the menu is indicative as such many selections to make everyone happy... some folks were dressed a bit, others were more casual. Dinner Menu Prices were not cheap, however to be expected for the type of place and food and service you are getting. My husband and I had the filet and my son (who's eyes were bigger than his stomach had the NY Strip) The meat was done to perfection! And we did enjoy the "gourmet style" fries which were not shocking to be served, anyone shocked by this can not be a very well verse foodie (referring to comment from another posters regarding the fries). I have been to many very good eating establishments/steak houses where "gourmet fries" are part of the entree. The breakfasts were very good and what you would expect at a b&b or inn. In fact my son brought home an extra homemade scone the chef made he loved it so much. As far as our experience our son was perfectly welcomed and contrary to previous posters children are welcomed; however the larger suites are required for 3 in a room (a rollaway bed was provided also at extra charge; not uncommon)... I don't suggest you bring your children however if they are not well mannered when it counts ie: dinner... its not denny's or McDonalds afterall.. We also found the owner Stan very personable. We would most certainly return again.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a children...you will need to book the larger rooms/suites. Those are the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Knickerbocker Mansion Country Inn? Share your experiences!