“Off the Highway, Walk to Main Drag” 3 of 5 stars

You added Knickerbocker Mansion Country Inn to your Saves list
Knickerbocker Mansion Country Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   869 Knickerbocker Road, PO Box 1907, CA 92315   |
Montrose, California
“Off the Highway, Walk to Main Drag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I loved forest setting a long distance from the 18. Lakeview II room was fine with good view of snow covered forest. Breakfast was superb and both Stan and his wife are great folks who work hard to maintain B&B. Great holiday decor, DVD and VHS selection. Manor was real hospitable with Tea & HC all day and night.

Enter on left of sign, can't get up the iced road to right Plumming is noisy, can hear every bath and shower. Like many Big Bear lodging options this is not a place for wild vocal lovers.

I have been coming to Big Bear for 50+ years and my family for 75+ years. The Knickerbocker Inn is one of the most hospitable and remote places I have stayed. I will stay here again on a future trip.

Room Tip: Lakeview II nice view of forest, upstairs in back, good for 2 people, nice decor, plumming fine, icy...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Big Bear Lake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stan was thorough and very helpful. The rooms were clean and fresh with homemade fudge for us to eat in the room. In the lobby, they had coffee and cakes for an afternoon snack. Just a few blocks from SnowSummit, it was super easy to get around. A stones throw from downtown BigBear Village, we had a great dinner at Sweet Basil's Bistro! Awesome dinner. If you stay at The Knickerbocker on a weekend, they serve gourmet dinner there! The breakfast was included in the price and we went down stairs (we were in the outside building) for a great breakfast overlooking beautiful Big Bear Lake. I'd definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Spent a very lovely 3 nights stay for New Years with my young son and husband. Stayed in the Carriage House Suite..which was very spacious. Has a fire place too! The Inn is 5 - 10 minutes away from Snow Summit and you can walk to the village (maybe 3 blocks if that) The food was fantastic, well prepared and presented. The Inn's restraunt is a Bistro, and the menu is indicative as such many selections to make everyone happy... some folks were dressed a bit, others were more casual. Dinner Menu Prices were not cheap, however to be expected for the type of place and food and service you are getting. My husband and I had the filet and my son (who's eyes were bigger than his stomach had the NY Strip) The meat was done to perfection! And we did enjoy the "gourmet style" fries which were not shocking to be served, anyone shocked by this can not be a very well verse foodie (referring to comment from another posters regarding the fries). I have been to many very good eating establishments/steak houses where "gourmet fries" are part of the entree. The breakfasts were very good and what you would expect at a b&b or inn. In fact my son brought home an extra homemade scone the chef made he loved it so much. As far as our experience our son was perfectly welcomed and contrary to previous posters children are welcomed; however the larger suites are required for 3 in a room (a rollaway bed was provided also at extra charge; not uncommon)... I don't suggest you bring your children however if they are not well mannered when it counts ie: dinner... its not denny's or McDonalds afterall.. We also found the owner Stan very personable. We would most certainly return again.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a children...you will need to book the larger rooms/suites. Those are the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lancaster, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

The room was tiny and attached to another room which was fine except no children were supposed to be allowed. Our neighbors had a little girl who was very well behaved but unfortunately we could still hear everything through the thin walls and I am quite sure they could hear us as well; on our anniversary evening,
There were light bulbs missing in both the bathroom and entry room and the mini blinds were literally hanging by a thread in the Forest View III the last weekend in Feb. The property grounds are really cute and the main house is rustic but cozy at the same time.
As far as food we spent $100.00 for dinner; my husband got filet mignon with some gross french fries(they were the only option) and I got jumbo shrimp that were served on a mound of mashed potatoes. --Seriously !! quality food and crap on the same plate whatever!
Also the busboy/drink server insulted me because I am not a wine drinker: telling us "that we were definitely in the wrong restaurant for dinner".
So you can probably tell that we will not be returning to the Knickerbocker Mansion and paying $172.00 for a 1 night stay in a tiny room with sarcastic employees.

Room Tip: do your research be selective there are a lot of b&bs in Big Bear
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

My review is solely for the restaurant. My family goes every year for special occasions, most recently Christmas Eve. The atmosphere is prefect for Christmas eve, just the kind of mountain cabin feel you want in the snow! The good is great and they have a big wine selection for Big Bear. I highly recommend the sticky shrimp!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

My husband and I had a wonderful time at the Knickerbocker, yes there was a spider web in the bathroom, and yes Stanley does come across as a grumpy ole' man but its easy to over come that. Just talk to him for a few, he is a person like us all. HOWEVER, we had a great time. We stayed in the Penthouse, and loved it.. the bed sheets and pillows where soooooo comfy. We ate dinner in their dinning room, it wasn't what we would normally have had but it was good. The lobster Mac and Cheese was really different but it was good. We are plan eaters, you know meat and salad people, but dinner was good and breakfast was very good as well. They really decorate for Christmas and tried to make us feel welcome. I would go back again. We loved our view, and the fireplace.

Room Tip: Penthouse is a MUST!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Oceanside, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

I had to cancel our trip to the Knickerbocker at the last moment due to illness. I spoke to Stanley on the phone and advised him of our situation. I certainly expected to forfeit our LS deal at this point and was not upset about it. What I wasn't very happy about was the charges that Stanley placed on my credit card even though we weren't able to be there. In fairness, he did inform me on the phone of the charges but I was not in condition to dispute it at the time. I expected to pay a $25 charge for changing the reservation previously and I didn't think too much about it at the time. However, after having the time to look over my Guest Information sheet, I see I was charged 1) TO Tax (whatever that is) of $16.00, 2) RA Fee (What's this??) of $5.00, 3) Food Tax $3.88 (wasn't there to eat any food but was still charged a TAX for it), 4) Sur Chrg of $12.50 (Sur Charge?? - Ridiculous, just words to add to the cost of the room). Just a word of caution to would-be travelers to Big Bear & the Knickerbocker: Know what you are going to pay for before you make a deposit and question Stanley about those 4 items I mentioned previously. Finally, I can not provide a review of the property, good or bad as I was not there. I only wanted to comment on what I think are unfair charges in addition to forfeiting my Living Social Voucher. Because of this bad experience I will be looking for other B&Bs when going to Big Bear in the future and of course won't recommend the Knickerbocker to friends, family & clients.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Knickerbocker Mansion Country Inn? Share your experiences!