“Great Break from Steak and Burgers” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian, Nepali
Good for: Entertaining clients, Families with children, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
San Luis Obispo, CA
“Great Break from Steak and Burgers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The hubby and I finally gave Himalayan food a try. We have no reference point to compare with authentic Himalayan food, so this review is based on our American taste buds that enjoy new flavors.
We ate an early dinner, so no wait. The staff was polite but quiet. The restaurant has a large room and then a shop next to it. It's quite a maze back to the restrooms.
We started with the Chicken Mo-Mo. We have eaten lots of authentic Chinese dumplings, and their Mo-Mo was a beautiful dumpling packed with great flavor. Had never had cumin in a dumpling before; it works very well. We could have made a meal off just the Mo-Mo!
I tried the Lemonade which was wonderful - not a puckery sweet lemonade, but a mild lemonade with the warm ginger that followed the lemon.
Since we'd been nibbling all day long, we weren't that hungry. So we went with the regular Naan (nice flavor and texture), Chicken Tikka Masala (mild - nice creamy flavors that weren't overpowering, but could have had more chicken in the dish), and the Vegetable soup (very good noodles, veggies were mostly peppers and onions, the yellow broth was...different, not sure if it was saffron or tumeric that gave it a yellow color).
Probably one of the better spots in the area, especially if you want a break from more of the typical steak and burgers fare.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Definitely must try!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My family and I visited big bear so many times! Every year we visited at least 2-3 times since we do not live too far away.
We could not believe that this is the first time we went to this restaurant!!
First we love Indian food, we ate Indian food around Los Angeles area and this place still meets our standard for Indian food!
Hubby ordered Chicken saag (delicious!!!), I ordered Chicken curry (I ordered 1 spicy for me and mild for the kids), Chicken tikki masala (MUST!!!!) along with garlic naan, cheese naan and poppadoms. All food we ordered EXCELLENT!! The Poppadoms though, needs more creativity on the sauce. They only serve it with little watery mint & cilantro sauce (not my fav). But still edible!
Next time you go and visiting big bear, definitely should give this place a try! If you can go a little bit earlier than 7 PM for dinner, because they get a little packed. That is the only downside, they were very busy the food came a little slower and the waiter forgot our naan cheese bread, but still all good :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Costa Mesa
“Don't miss it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Everything we tried was delicious, served family style and in large portions. We ate there twice and can't wait to go back. We met lots of locals who gave us ordering recommendations, but the entire menu looked wonderful and the choices were wide-ranging.

Visited July 2013
Oceanside, California, United States
“Himalayan food in the mountains of Southern California!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We came here for dinner and got in at just the right time. We figured this was going to be good, since the restaurant had survived the economic downturn that took many other Big Bear places. We were seated right away at a window seat. The service was a bit slow but this is Big Bear, an area known for lousy customer service, and they were all polite and attentive. The walls are decked with pictures of Hindu and Buddhist deities and of course Mt. Everest and climbers.

They were out of two of the Himalayan beers I wanted to try but I did have an Indian beer.

The appetizer course of Chicken Mo Mo and bread was excellent and the chutney and dipping sauce outstanding.

My mixed grill plate of chicken, lamb, and shrimp was wonderful but my wife's Himalayan lamb shank was outstanding! Fall off the bone tender, and bathed in an excellent Himalayan sauce that was just right for her order of "medium" spiciness.

Prices were very good for this mountain community, much less than some of the barbecue places in the area. They will also deliver in the BBL area, something nice to know when you don't want to battle village crowds.

Since we own a cabin up here now, we'll definitely be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Big Bear Lake, California
“Pretty good. 'Medium' spicy is mild, so ask for extra spicy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We enjoyed the mood and the food.
I think some things could have or should have been spicier. This isn't a complaint so much as a warning to those of you who love spicy food.
My first time to a new Asian place, I tend to order "medium" spicy, not knowing whether "hot" is really "hot."
Well, here, the medium was mild, so if you like it "hot," order it hot.
Other than that... food was pretty good overall and it's wonderful to have such a nice restaurant in Big Bear Village.
Oh, and, the curry sauce wasn't very spicy either.
Portions were generous and we went home with leftovers. In fact, the mixed grill was enough for 2 by itself (only $16.95). Mixed grill with naan or rice would have been enough.
Tandoori was a bit mild too, so, this is not hot Indian food... the Himalayan food must be milder in general. So, again, if you like it spicy, ask for 'hot.'
The flavors were delicious, in any case, and prices modest (mostly $8 - $16).
So, I can highly recommend it.
I'll go again and again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere