“Overall...would be willing to stay again...” 3 of 5 stars

Northwoods Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   40650 Village Dr, CA 92315   |
Ranked #12 of 20 hotels in Big Bear Region
CA
“Overall...would be willing to stay again...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Went to skiing at Big Bear Lake and needed a place to stay. Decided on staying at Northwoods since it seemed to be the nicest hotel/resort in Big Bear (3 1/2 stars I think...) Anyway, mixed reviews on my stay, however since there are limited options available of nice hotels - would be willing to stay here again. Below are the pros and cons of my stay:

Pros:
*Was arriving very late at night and the reservation line was willing to provide me with a great deal. Appreciative of how they went above and beyond to accommodate.
*Attached restaurant has great breakfast food with friendly staff
*Within 2 miles of snow summit and within walking distance to the "Village" with lots of shops/restaurants
*Rates are very reasonable
*Overall, clean hotel

Cons:
*Front desk staff was less than friendly. Indifferent or curt may be a good description...if you had a question, they would barely answer and would not really assist.
*Internet was aweful - not sure if it was just my part of the building, but every 10 minutes, the internet would drop and reconnect - very difficult for working. Also, beware - I could not get my mac to connect
*Hotel needs to be remodeled/repaired. There were water/wet spots on the carpets in the hallways. TV, bathroom, amenities - all could use an update

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

403 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Julian, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Checking in took 35 minutes stood in line for most of it. Only one man checking people in.Where was the help? Ordered room service took one and a half hours to get food. When we called to check on the food wondering where it was, I got the impression they werent even out to have friendly service I felt as though I was bothering them to get my food. At least the food was good. I couldnt believe they included a tip with the lousy service we recieved. That should of been a courtesy to remove. Donot get room 248. It was hot do to the heater that was right outside our room, we had to open balcony door to remain cool. Now I've called 2 times to get back a pillow I had accidently left on the bed (lost and found) has not even returned my call. I will definately scratch this Hotel off any future visits for snow boarding.Every time I call I'm placed on hold for so long I have to hang up. This hotel needs to have a meeting to speed things up...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

The Good
Clean rooms
Friendly staff
Awesome outdoor heated pool -- swim while looking at snow!
Great location, walk to the village
Extremely reasonable room service, and quick delivery

The Bad
Towels (which they originally forgot to put in our room at all) are very rough and scratchy
Pool towels are small and also scratchy
TV channels very limited, listings were inaccurate, and pay per view movie service was unavailable during our stay... the toddler was NOT happy
Bring your own bath amenities
Strange smell of natural gas right outside our window

The Unfortunate
Due to a medical emergency we had to leave less than 4 hours after checking in and rush home. I could not expect the hotel to refund our reservation price, but I do think it would have been an opportunity for them to really show some compassion the day before Christmas Eve. I cannot knock a point off for it but it would have guaranteed we would come back here next time... instead, we will be trying elsewhere for all the reasons above.

Room Tip: Elevators are really slow so if you want to avoid waiting, you may want a room on the first floor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Big Safe Hotel, Great Location in Village, Spacious room, 2 Q beds, Mini Fridge, Walk out from Sliding door (First floor)
Out door Pool and Spa still open in November.
Plenty of parking spaces and near the room

Room Tip: If travel with kid
Redlands, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

We showed up at Northwoods yesterday, for just one night, two kids and two adults. We hadn't planned where to stay, just thought we'd play it by ear. When we went up to the front desk, THE NICEST WOMAN IN THE WORLD greeted us with a huge smile and said "I can give you the night for 79 dollars, we're not very full at all tonight." Mind you, priceline had them at $120, and we were fully prepared to pay that. We were delighted (I don't remember the last time I paid 80 bucks for anything but a totally budget hotel) and began the checkin process. Then we got our choice of what floor we wanted, poolfront. Our sliding door led right to the pool/hot tub area. I can NOT stress to you how friendly and positive our experience was with the woman who checked us in, and I'm so sorry I didn't get her name. Obviously the price thing was not a common thing you could look forward to, but I suspect her attitude is, and it sure put us in a great state of mind for our stay.

Anyway, I've stayed at Northwoods before, and this visit was consistent with the past (if way cheaper!:) Average sized rooms, comfortable beds, nothing fancy, nice rustic touches. Only two pillows per queen bed, but I asked for more at the front desk and they had more to us in five minutes. Love having the fridge, and the bathrooms are nice and big. Everything's clean, and the overall feel is cozy.

If you haven't been here before and aren't familiar with the area, what you REALLY get for your money is the location - there's no better one. You can walk to the lake, and all over the adorable Big Bear Village. It's perfect if you're traveling with small children who can't walk far and you don't want to drive around. The views are terrific, and it would be a great place for a wedding party or a work conference. I didn't hear much noise, but then as the desk person acknowledged, they weren't very heavily booked. I will be delighted to give them my repeat business.

Fontana, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I could hear everyones conversations from other rooms, people making thudding sounds, almost tribal?

Rooms could use a better cleaning too.

Pricey also :\

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow.
temecula, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

3rd time staying at Northwoods. We came here for Oktoberfest. We always stay at this hotel because the kids like it, they think it's comfortable. The rooms are clean but very thin walls. We could hear lots of slamming doors and laughter from the rooms across the hall. The beds are comfortable but the rooms could use new flooring, it looks like original carpet. There's a refrigerator and complimentary coffee which is handy for drinks and leftover food. This hotel is close to the shops and restaurants, so no need to drive to town. The price is reasonable, $110 for a Saturday night, not bad considering it was weekend rate. I recommend this hotel but don't have high expectations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace, it's nice to dry your clothes from rain or snow
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Northwoods Resort? Share your experiences!