“not what you expect” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Las Vegas, Nevada
“not what you expect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

you kinda dont expect big bear to have any good mexican food, but we were driving around and saw this little place with outdoor seating , we were a bit sceptical but we said, heck lets try it, so we sat outside, and the owners are the waitstaff and cooks, and i must say we were pleasantly surprised, they make all tamales homemade, along with the sauces and other things,so if you want good food off the beaten path go try it, and wednsday is $1 fish tacos all day

Visited May 2013

Murrieta, California
“Friendly atmosphere, okay food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were looking for a restaurant to eat at after a long day on the slopes. Given it was a Saturday night and there was lots of snow on the ground, we knew we would be waiting at every restaurant. We searched out top reviewed restaurants and found Azteca grill to be among the top reviewed by both locals and tourists alike. My husband is a HUGE fan of Mexican food, so he jumps at the chance to eat it every chance he gets. We headed to Azteca with our party of 7 and quickly realized that our one large group would take up 1/8 of the seating in the entire restaurant. We were greeted warmly by the owner and seated as soon as a table became available. The chips and salsa bar were "okay" the chips were a little flat and the salsa didn't have as much flavor, or marriages of the right flavors for my liking. The food was mediocre. One of our diners got the California Burrito which was HUGE and served "wet" with a red sauce over it. He loved it and ate the ENTIRE burrito. The other entrees, such as carne asada plate, lacked flavor. The shredded beef in the taco was bland as well. The rice and beans were delicious, however. All in all I was disappointed in the food as I was expecting better than average Mexican food, but unfortunately I left there wishing we had chosen somewhere else to eat as my expectations fell flat. The service, once again, was incredible and the staff was very friendly but as far as the food I would say it was average at best.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
fullerton
“Great food, had shrimp tacos.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

They do not hesitate to give you an abundance of food. Me & and my husband tried a few Mexican places here at Big Bear lake and this one wins hands down, better than all of the others. Most authentic, great customer service, you leave full, great salsas, beans & rice...yummy. Its not downtown but it is definately worth the extra mile. Going to go on the way out too.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Average mexican food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Uninspiring mexican food. This was the highest rated restaurant (@ yelp). So, I picked this one and went with a big group of friends.
The food was OK. But considering the reviews, I was expecting better quality food. The chips were mediocre and salsa downright bad.
Burritos were decent.
But the shrimp dishes were average (got two different types) and they tasted the same :(
Give this one a miss, if u want good mexican food.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Southern California
“Flavorless, boring, shameful.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were told by our hotel that this place, "wasn't bad". I'll give them that. It was bland and flavorless and such a shame for the prices and good reviews. I ordered the carne asada burrito and it was horrific. The carne asada was literally lacking in any kind of flavor. It was like chewing rough water. My guess is that it was microwaved. Horrible. It was mostly rice inside the burrito anyway..

My friend ordered the trio fajitas. She got the same bland and flavorless steak, tiny iddy biddy chunks of flavorless chicken and three shrimp she actually enjoyed.

I should have known the second they gave us BAGGED and DISGUSTING chips. What self respecting mexican restaurant serves up bland bagged chips? Come on, now.

Crying shame.