“Extremely slow service, amazing food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Thousand Oaks, California
“Extremely slow service, amazing food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Great food, but don't come here if your in a hurry. It takes about 45 minutes. I highly reccomend S'mores pancakes or waffles.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

70% Recommend
Big Bear City, California
“Good Food but Breakfast Service is so-o-o-o poor!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I'm not a big breakfast fan, but I do love belgian waffles. When I saw the all-you-can-eat sign out front, I perked up. The waffles were absolutely fantastic!!! But the service is appalling!!! We've been there 3 or 4 times on a Sunday morning after church, and they don't seem to be very busy. But for some reason, you can't get waited on. Not even given a glass of water! After 10 or 15 minutes, someone may come to ask if you want coffee or a drink, but don't expect anything real quick. The food really is good, but I don't understand why they don't seem to get their act together. I've lived in Big Bear more than 20 years, and I'd like to try again, but I think I'll have to quit trying if the service stays the way it's been. It's in a darling location, and the original Madlon's was so memorable! Madlon herself really made it great! But she's not longer with us. I think the current owner is really trying, and I know Big Bear is a challenging market for restaurants. I also know that the dinner menu is relatively expensive there, but most of the dinner reviews are great. But I'm hesitant of having such poor service. It leaves a very bad taste....

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“All around amazingly excellent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We have been to many other fine dining establishments and Madlon's is at the top of our list! We had the 5 course dinner special with the Brie appetizer. Great food and amazing value for fine dining. The atmosphere was cozy and romantic, but it is not a dine and dash as other reviews have stated. We were here on our honeymoon, so this was a great relaxing meal for us. We would highly recommend Madlon's for fine dining.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Valencia, California
“Good food, poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We made New Year's Eve reservations for 7pm. We (party of 5) arrived at 6:50 and were told our table would be ready shortly so we were seated at an empty table. At 7:20 we were seated. No menus, no water, no bread for another 20 minutes.
I am not going to go into all the sordid details about the lateness of the rudimentary items EVERY restaurant should provide to its patrons, but suffice it to say, we waited and waited and waited for the basics: menu, drinks, water which we had to ask for twice.
There IS a caveat on the door that explains that Madlon's is NOT a fast food restaurant and that a typical dinner usually takes close to 2 hours to prepare and serve. Why this is so, is beyond me. We finally got our dinner served after a totally unnecessary delay, during which the owner brought out his daughter and introduced her to other patrons as the cook du jour.
He continually gave us "updates" as to the status of our order and also gave us some lame information as to HIS itinerary in the serving sequence which made no sense to any of us. I could understand a delay if the place was packed, but it was about 1/2 full at best when we were seated.
The food was good for the other 4 in our party, my fettucini alfredo was average at best .
If you have A LOT of time then you.won't mind Madlon's. If you don't and you are used to the barest of service amenities, then bypass it.. I for one, will hopefully NEVER go back.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Temecula
“Excellent Food! Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have eaten ad Madlon's twice and both times it was EXCELLENT! You might think $45.00 is a lot for a filet mignon but I can tell you it is worth every penny! Also excellent is the Fettucinne Alfredo and at about 18.00 it is both affordable and delicious! You will love Madlon's!

• Visited December 2012