“Amazing rooftop pool” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Beverly Hills
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing rooftop pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

I chose to stay at the Thompson Beverly Hills for 6 nights during my second trip to Los Angeles and was really pleased with the location - Beverly Hills is quieter than Hollywood and the Sunset Strip and feels safe - perfect for a relaxing stay.

The hotel is situated pretty much opposite Canon Drive which has a lot of restaurants. There are also a few more casual lunch places on Beverly Drive, very nearby, and then there's the infamous Rodeo Drive, just two streets away. On the main road, Wilshire Blvd, you have got a Macy's and the Beverly Wilshire hotel with Wolfgang Puck's restaurant.

As I was there alone I mainly ate at the hotel's restaurant, Caulfield's, which was never busy but good food and service in the evening. Breakfast, which I had included in the price of my stay, was very disappointing. When you arrive you are given a voucher each day for a 'complimentary breakfast' which turned out to be an orange juice, a coffee and a croissant. You can only substitute the croissant for something else when it suits them - on my first day the croissant delivery had not arrived so I was given the choice of an English muffin or a bagel. On the second day, when I asked for a bagel I was told I could not have one. On the third day, I was told I could only have a bagel or English muffin, but when the croissant delivery arrived after I had ordered the choice was taken away again. Don't know about you but for the sake of my health I can't eat a croissant every morning for six days, so by day four I gave up and went somewhere else. Even more infuriating is that when you do have your 'complimentary' breakfast you still pay service charge.

The other negatives on this hotel were not consistent negatives. All in all, I found the service was very good but there were two exceptions: 1) room service is very slow, although I was given my meal complimentary as way of apology after I rang to find out how much longer the delay would be. 2) the person who checked me out of the hotel was excessively rude when I questioned why I had a $25 minibar bill on one day (turns out they charged my whole week's water to one day) and even more unhelpful when I explained that I had paid my room charges upfront when I had booked. In fact, she consistently chose to take calls when I was in the middle of explaining myself. And I am not a rude/annoying person.

Overall, my stay was really positive. I loved the rooftop area with sunbeds, private cabanas (which you can rent) and an outdoor pool. The views up here are amazing and I was able to swim at sunset as well as all times of the day. The service is very good by the pool too and there is also a gym tucked under a staircase.

The room itself was very nice - the style is in keeping with the other Thompson hotels and on a par with W Hotels, I would say. There was a fridge mini bar, free magazines in the room hardwood floors, a power shower. Everything was very clean and seemed new and there were fresh towels every day.

I would totally recommend staying here. Apparently the rooftop gets a bit hectic in the summer but during this time of year I sometimes had it to myself. The door staff will order you taxis whenever you need one and the concierge will book day trips for you and recommend restaurants. There were also some friendly waiters in the restaurant, which is always good when you are by yourself.

My only other bugbear is that you have to pay for wireless in your room - $15 a day. It's free to connect in the lobby and on the rooftop.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

When I booked the room, I was a little skeptical. I enjoyed reading some of the reviews on here which talked about the $30 a night parking fee. I was also nervous since a few of the recent reviews talked about how rude the front desk people were. However, when I got there, nothing was further from the truth. The front desk was extremely friendly and nice. The only problem that I had was that my tv wasn't working right but I called the front desk and they sent someone up to my room immediately to fix the problem. I thought the room service people were nice and I enjoyed the front desk people. They seemed geniune to me. Maybe I caught them at a good time, I don't know. I was a little weirded out by the modern look (even though I'm 27, I must be getting old), but I rather enjoyed my stay. I'd go back there.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
france
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

The hotel location was excellent ( walking distance to Rodeo Drive ), the room was good (nothing too fancy but good enough for a night in Beverly Hills ). After a very long flight (16hours ) we were welcome by a very friendly staff who took care of our luggage (definately the friendliest staff of the hotel ). Once we checked-in ( we had booked through booking.com ) the check in staff was the rudest of all hotels I have stayed anywhere in the world. We were told that the price on the booking.com website was wrong but that they " had no choice "but to take us .She made us feel so unwelcomed . Thats not the kind of things, you want to hear after such a long journey.
Upon check-out, I had requested for a taxi but again the same lady at the reception, made sure other hotels guests would have their taxi prior to us( we had to wait for a very long time even though we had requested for it way before the other customers ).
Overhall, the service given was not what you expect from this range of hotel in this prime area. The management should definately check their staff. Gladly the next hotel in West Hollywood was way better.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
SalesBH, General Manager at SIXTY Beverly Hills, responded to this review, February 4, 2012
Dear Bedugul, It is clear to me that one of our associates made you very upset. I hope you will reach out to me directly so that I can address the lack of empathy and attention we offered you. Each and every one of our guests deserves the very best in service. I take my responsibilities very seriously, and I have definitely failed you in this case. I hope to make amends and win your trust back. Yes, you are right, I would like to speak with the associate so that I can fully understand what happened and how I can be of better service to them, in turn, my team can be of better service to you.

Awaiting your personal correspondence,
d: 310-281-0142
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed here a year ago for business and thought well enough of the stay to come back... a mistake.
-- Room service is incredibly slow
-- Ordering in the restaurant is also incredibly slow
-- The rooftop bar service is either slow, completely un-attentive or non-existent (seriously, a crowd enjoying the pool deck on the weekend and not a single guy to come around in case anyone wanted a drink? Lost opportunity on their part!)
-- The water pressure in the shower kind of stinks.
-- The power went out one evening and they didn't make any apologies by way of letter to the guests (my colleague was even stuck in the elevator during this!)

OK, I think that covers my gripes so far. It's just disappointing that in the heart of Beverly Hills, they're lacking in basic customer service. It would take so little for me to have had a significantly more enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear spikerSFB, It is always disappointing that we let one of our guest down. I would love to speak with you to start making amends. I have met with our food and beverage managers to pin point the day of your service and we have met with the associates to speak with them about the service levels all our guests deserve. This week, we had a service retrain for the team as our restaurant and entire food and beverage department is newly reopened (late November 2011). Regarding the power outage, if you do not already know, it was a city issue that all the local hotels and business experienced, and it was something out of our control. Yes, you are right, a planned power check would have been announced by way of letter to our guests. I do apologize now for any inconvenience you personally experienced. For your colleagues that were in the elevator, our assistant front office manager was also in the elevator with them. We quickly dispatched our elevator company and everyone was brought out as soon as we were able. Also, the assistant front office manager checked back with your associates and they were very happy with the timeliness of our getting them all out of the elevator and they appreciated his follow up conversation with them.

Do let me know if and at what number I can reach you on. I hope you will give us another opportunity to win your trust back.

d: 310-281-0142
Hollywood, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Merging the retro vibe of the late 60’s with the foufou poshness of Beverly Hills, Thompson Beverly Hills offers you a serene, secluded pied-à-terre in the heart of Los Angeles’ most fashionable address.

The bar at Caulfield’s offers Signature cocktails along with the casual California cuisine, and you can also have drinks delivered poolside at ABH, on the roof of the Thompson Hotel, which offers a spectacular skyline that is unforgettable. Six private cabanas, fully equipped with televisions and refrigerators, offer an even more elite and decadent rooftop experience for you and 100 guests.

The cocktail list at Caulfield’s is more of a simplified cocktail list of swinger cocktails like the STILEETO, an icy delight made with Vodka, lemon, sugar, strawberry and a dash of cukes. There’s also the LAST WORD, a real kicker made with gin, maraschino liqueur, green chartreuse and lime, but our fave is the PENICILIN—how can you not love it with a name like that? —a crazy concoction of scotch, lemon, honey-ginger and a ten-year old aged Ardbeg. There are several beers on tap like Pilsner Urquelle from Czechoslovakia, and great beers like Ballast Point “Big Eye” Ipa, Newcastle Brown from jolly ole England and the rare Russian River “Damnation” strong blonde ale from Santa Rosa. There’s also a wonderfully extensive wine list which gives the impression of it being a pub, however it doesn’t really feel like a pub either. There isn’t table service, and the staffs aren’t out to impress you with their skills, with that said though they are happy to help how they can. The cocktail trellis at ABH is perfect for hosting high-end cocktail events for up to 30 guests. The Dining Trellis accommodates 12 guests for private seated dinner overlooking Beverly Hills.

Room Tip: for food, the mac n cheese is very mild
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear HollywoodRob, Thank you for your review of Caulfield's. We have opened recently, and know that your detailed descriptions of what we offer will help other travelers and patrons understand what Caulfield's can be for them. We hope to see you on many return visits.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We were stopping through LA for one night on our way from Singapore to Raleigh for the Christmas holidays and were looking for something with the best location and value in Beverly Hills. And we found it at the Thompson! The hotel was nicely decorated and the staff were warm and welcoming when we arrived after our very, very long flight. We were led to our deluxe room right away and found it to be spacious, clean and with a nice view of the Rodeo Drive area. We ventured up to the rooftop bar and it was nice to snap a few photos of the Hollywood sign. The hotel was within walking distance to the shops and restaurants of Rodeo Drive and we definitely made the most of our day exploring the area and then sinking into the plush king size bed for a fabulous night sleep before our early checkout the next morning, which again was seamless.

Special thanks to Chrissy Hein for making the booking process smooth and very friendly - and for the special touch of an upgrade and early check in. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the hotel and we will definitely choose The Thompson Beverly Hills next time we are in LA!

Room Tip: High floor deluxe room was what we had and it was a perfect choice.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear shaddika, We appreciate you taking the time to recognize a very hard working team. It is wonderful to read that we extended you a level of service that all travelers deserve, "...the staff were warm and welcoming". Your pointers on the conveniences that our hotel offers should help other travelers. Finally, thank you for recognizing Chrissy. She is a valued associate and she always displays a positive attitude toward everyone.

salem
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I have never been to LA and was a little apprehensive going there. I talked to Lisa today while inquiring about a room. She really made me get a feel of what LA and the Thompson Hotel will be like. She was the friendliest and most knowledgeable sales professional I ever have had the pleasure to talk with while looking for a hotel stay. I did call other hotels but none of the sales staff could even compare to Lisa. I even called your sister hotel and believe me they could use a few lessons on how to treat potential clients for their hotel. I will be calling you tomorrow to book our reservations!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Susan D, Thank you for immediately writing your review. You are absolutely correct, Lisa is one of the best sales professionals I have every worked with or met. We value her contributtion to our team --every day. We look forward to having you stay with us.

General Mananager
e: gabracosa@thompsonhotels.com

Been to SIXTY Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!