“Royal Treatment” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 14 hotels in Beverly Hills
California
“Royal Treatment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2007

As a frequent traveler, I read reviews on properties that my wife and I are interested in before deciding to book a stay. I was quite hesitant at first to try Raffles due to some comments posted by guest that has stayed in L'Ermitage. Still curious , we still opted and booked. I was glad that we did, we had the best time ever. 5star and 5diamond, they deserve it. It was magical from the time that we arrived , food was great and service was peronalized, it was like having your own staff. We felt like royalty, or a very famous movie star. I saw a few by the way. Finally , I have found my "Hotel" but I should start calling it "HOME".

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

433 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
La Jolla
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2007

I booked through my Amex which was a package with breakfast and credit for restaurant but at check out I was told that they would only honor the credit towards food not wine so that was dissapointing - also I was not able to sleep because there was a party of ladies next door that kept me awake until 1am - management did nothing after my many calls to front desk - there must have been about 5 ladies in the next room - i should of stayed at Mondrian for half the price for same experience - Anyways when I complained of my lack of sleep at check out when I asked to speak to the manager - manager gave me a very ungenuine apology - recognized my numerous calls to front desk - told me that these things dont happen at their hotel - that their policy is to call police - anyways he still did not explain why there was a party til 1am - Manager then handed me the bill without even offering to comp the parking after such a terrible stay - $600 later for one night - not worth it!!!!! i will goto Peninsula next time

Stayed January 2007
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2007

I recently stayed at the L'ermitage for 1 week while onn a business trip-- unlike other reviewers I found that since i have been staying here the service has been getting better and better. Although I do feel that the rooms could use a facelift-- I really do feel at home in them. The rooms are spacious and warm- and i love the the drinks in the minibar are free!
The bathroom is like what I hope to one day have in my own home- and on many occasions I have been tempted to purchase the same mattress and pillows- as I never seem to sleep better then when I am in the bed at this hotel!
Also, check out the pool and the gym- both are fantastic!

• Liked — Rooms (beds and bathrooms), Location is perfect if you want to be close to Beverly Hills
  • Tips/Secrets — as for a room facing the front..
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2006

Let me start off by saying this hotel is very security conscious which also translates to no anonymity whatsover. Rooms are large and very beige. The bed is attractive looking but has a very sharp edge near the pillow and no headboard which caused me pain more than once. Bathroom is commodious but sort of beige and bland as is the room. Staff acts like they are giving you great service by greeting you by name and being very sycophantic, but ultimately, if you ask for ice you need to call twice and it takes 45 minutes. I have stayed at the Peninsula, Four Seasons, and Beverly Hills hotels and they are all superior and in general more exciting places to stay. The pool area is tiny without much service or a restaurant as available at the other three hotels I just mentioned.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service and lack of privacy from staff
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

I've stayed at L'Ermitage a few times over the past five years and always enjoy it. The pool is absolutely beautiful, the rooms are large and really quite nice with a mixture of hardwood flooring and carpet, birdseye maple built-ins, marble bathroom and separate dressing room. It's really tastefully designed in a zen kind of way. The location works well for me because I like to be in a neighborhood setting when I'm in the LA area. It's a short walk or quick drive to restaurants and shops in Beverly Hills.
It's serene yet hip. It's quiet and doesn't have the madness of the hotels on Sunset. Granted, if I was in my early twenties I'd probably rather be on Sunset, but being in my thirties this place works well for me. The service is quite good, the bar is nice and don't be surprised if you bump into some familiar faces. A courtesy car , when available, will drop you off and pick you up if you want to step out to do some shopping or enjoy an evening out. I love this place. I looked at the rooms at the Four Seasons down the street, but still prefer L'Ermitage. It has a small boutique feel to it and I find it quite homey.

• Liked — It has a nice boutique feel to it. Not too large, not too small. Very comfortable with understated hipness.
  • Tips/Secrets — If you're married and your spouse is standing right next to you, try to be discreet while gazing at the super model standing in the elevator next to you.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2006

As a frequent guest at Raffles L’Ermitage, I was surprised by the comments in a recent post. I too frequently use the various American Express offers and never had a problem. I have always found the staff very accommodating and professional and I’m always amazed that they remember me even when it’s a few weeks between stays. (Totally love the fact that the mini-bar in my room is always customized for me – I am allergic to grapefruit juice and they always remove it and stock up on my favorites!).
As a writer who frequently needs to work in my room, the prime reason I stay at L’Ermitage is for the serenity and peace I find at the hotel – quite a contrast to the madness I’ve experienced at other LA hotels. I can only assume that Perry’s experience was the exception and not the rule.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Saint Helena, CA.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

This a copy of a letter I sent to the Hotel Manager after our stay .I took out one sentience so I could keep it family friendly for this board.I think you can guess what went on.The Hotel is just not as good as it has been in the past.

Hi ,Jack.
I stayed with you June 15th and 16th and had some issues with the hotel. We have stayed before and things seem to have changed.
Our check in was not very good the receptionist who checked us in was very aloof and when we asked if there was a chance of an upgrade using the American Express Centurion plan we were told, no. My wife asked again and the receptionist referred us to the Front Office Manager who had already upgraded us to the room we had on a previous visit and seemed surprised that we were not told that. He was very nice and helpful .
On our last night we were awakened by a women knocking on the door next to us. She was let in by the guest and the couple partied for a while and then ......................... Once ...............she left. How did she get on our floor with out a key? Why is the hotel allowing that type of person access to the hotel at 3am.I am surprised the walls are so thin.

We booked dinner at the hotel and bought a bottle of my own wine for dinner. We enjoyed Champagne at the bar and went to the Restaurant . We were told that we could not pay corkage as the Hotel Manager had changed polices a few weeks ago. We explained we were guests and in the trade. She tried to find a Manager but could not .The Restaurant was empty as usual .We left and went to another Restaurant 2 blocks away and paid $25 corkage. Do you not think $25 is enough for 2 glasses and to pull a cork. The Restaurant Manager told us on our return there is a liability issue .What could that be ?I travel the world and have never heard of any Liability issue over corkage.
Checking out we got the same Receptionist, lucky us. I queried the breakfast charge on my bill as we are on the Amex plan .She got a copy of the bill and told me as I ate alone that day, I was only entitled to my allowance and not my wife’s. I told her that I took a smoothie to go for my wife. She said no I had to pay as I sat by myself. I told her how the plan works in other Hotels .She eventually called and went off to see a manager. 10 minutes later she took the charge off the bill .She still felt I was wrong and they were accommodating me. We did not use our lunch credit ,just Breakfast .Every hotel we have stayed in give us a dollar amount to use. Normally $38- $45 and does not matter how many people or what we have. If we go over we pay. If we are under, fine. Is this a training issue or do you have a different Amex plan?
The Bell and Valet staff were beyond great as were the staff in the bar. The Maids were very good as was the Concierge .The exercise equipment could do with an upgrade. The security staff were a little intimidating as they walked around the Lobby and public areas. I hope you find this feedback of some help.
Thanks ,

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Been to L'Ermitage Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!