“Character, Charm and Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Enjoy 15% off at Maison!
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Melbourne, Australia
“Character, Charm and Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We only stayed at the Maison 140 for 1 night whilst passing through LA, however were really happy we chose to stay here. Was a really nice hotel with great character (love the elevator which is sort of behind a cupboard door) in a good location close enough to Rodeo drive and the main Beverly Hills shopping areas.

This is definately a Paris style boutique hotel (3 or 4 stories high) in an older building with quite small rooms - however was very clean, comfortable, great friendly/helpful service and free wifi! We found it to be very good value and enjoyed our stay. They also have a lovely breakfast and in the evenings a funky looking bar (which we didn't get a chance to enjoy unfortunately but it looked great).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
PsyT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights recently in room 304 that is literally behind the elevator shaft. Surprisingly it wasn't all that noisy except for the occasional very noisy guest talking loudly or banging the elevator door. The room was small but nice. I had to re-tune the TV to receive any of the digital stations. One issue that never went away is the very strong musty smell on the 3rd floor hallway and in our room. We aired our room continuously and that seemed to help, but the hallway smell never improved. Love the location, and reasonable price so overall, recommend.

Room Tip: 3rd floor room has more light; Try to avoid 304 as your bed's headboard is against the elevator...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel because it is located close to shopping in
Beverly Hills. When I arrived the place was dark and looked deserted.
My shuttle driver said: "I hope they are still open." I go into the
dark lobby and there is ONE desk. The person at the desk proceeds to
check me in and gives me a key, not a key card, but a key. I had no
where to put a key but fortunately I had a twist tye and tied it to my
purse.

He opens the door to the elevator, no the doors didn't open, he had to
manually open the door. We both get in and we barely fit. We arrive to
the room and he and I both couldn't fit in the room at the same time.
The hotel smelled and the linen smelled; I felt sick to my stomach. I
went to bed.

The next day I left and came back and the place stopped smelling bad and
the linen was washed so I no longer felt sick to my stomach. The
curtains in the room are so ugly though and to be stuck in that room
with the ugly curtains was almost unbearable.

I tried to find things to do in the room, but the room was too small. I
always got nervous going to the bathroom; the bathroom was too small. I
couldn't stand in the shower and take a shower, so I left the door open
and sort of stood outside the shower and took a shower. The bathroom
was sooooo small. The sink drained very slow. The toilet ran all day
and night.

The air conditioner had a remote (THANK GOODNESS) because it was loud
all day and night. The room had no microwave. The refrigerator was
TINY and was jammed with stuff from the hotel. DO AN INVENTORY when you
enter the room or else you will be charged for stuff they claim is
missing.

There is no kitchen or ice machine or concierge or anything like that.
To get food, you have to order from the sister hotel. A steak is $42.00
+3.00 deliverly charge +20% gratuity. So your steak will cost you
$53.40. Remember, you also need something to drink with that steak.

When I got there, I said I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN; I, however, may
would stay again because of the location but ONLY if they enlarge the
bathrooms. In my opinion, 2 rooms need to be combined to make one room
and the bathrooms need to be gutted and enlarged.

This hotel has been purchased by the MOSIAC (around the corner) so
hopefully they will renovate the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

I love this hotel. Amazing location, quiet and just perfectly simple. I have stated here many times over the past couple of years and have always loved it! However, I'm here right now and found that they have changed the beds! Previously they had beds to rival the Four Seasons.(honestly I had ranked them as one of tge best North American hotels simply because of the beds) but now they are just normal. Perfectly fine but the magic is gone. Still a great hotel but it's a little bit sad.

• Stayed September 2012
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

the hotel itself is average nothing more.Only one member of the front desk was great at her job {her name is Martha].The rest of them are incompetent and insincere.Upon arrival we had to explain that we had already paid for everything upfront yet the girl who greeted us still charged us $1000 on our cash card rendering us with no funds.It was only due to the wonderful Martha that we managed to get it sorted after two days and she also got us $200 as compensation.The girl who overcharged us never acknowledged her mistake and seemed a bit cold afterwards.As a footnote i would also say that the girls who served breakfast were friendly and helpful and it might be an idea to let them take charge of the front desk as they seemed to be genuine people and not interested in being "discovered"

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed here for three nights. Got a really good deal with a linger longer package - pay for two nights get the third free. Even at the normal rate this pace is much cheaper than some of the large very average hotels in the area. Room was very clean and the kingside bed was very comfortable. I didn't like the pillows as they squash down to nothing but my husband likes a very flat pillow so they suited him. I note the comments by other travelers re the size of the shower and guess the rooms must be different configurations or expectations are different. Our shower was a good size with great water pressure and plenty of room to dry yourself - I'm 5'4" and my husband is 6'2". We especially loved the Neil George toiletries. Another bonus was a fridge in the room. The location is excellent as is quiet but very close to the shopping and public transport. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

After a long week working (and staying) in Downtown LA, I wanted to stay somewhere a little less corporate. Maison was great -- I specifically requested a quiet room and got one on the third floor. My only complaints were the bathroom -- I'm a small girl at just 5'1" but the showers were IMPOSSIBLY small. (I was staying in a King standard -- not sure how big the other bathrooms are). It was nearly impossible to fit inside of the shower stall, which felt like a marble coffin. It was probably less than four feet across, if that. I wouldn't want to stay here and use this shower for longer than the two days I stayed. It was difficult to even wash my hair. There was also a dirty towel left on the hook of bathroom, and the toilet was left unflushed. Gross. Also, the minibar attendant knocked on the door, and I guess he didn't hear me say just a minute since the TV was on, and then tried to enter the room to refill the minibar. Thankfully I had the lock on the door, but that certainly didn't make me feel safe.

The room itself was comfortable -- especially the bed. I'd probably stay again but only if there are larger bathrooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Maison 140 Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!