“contemporary beauty” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Covina, Calif.
“contemporary beauty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We only stayed one night at the Avalon but we thought it was a gorgeous cool atmosphere with a great friendly staff. We did stay in the separate tower across from the lobby, but I really didn't have a problem crossing over the "alley" like some of the somewhat negative reviews stated.
Calling it an alley has a negative connotation and its really not a bad set-up, the Avalon is in a mostly residential neighborhood so it looks like they added the second tower after they built the main building, but everything is so tasteful, its not a problem, and we have stayed a many other 4 and 5 star hotels. Also I feel the separate building is quieter....
Our room was a king deluxe, which was nice and roomy and the only real complaint is the air conditioning-- its loud and if you are a light sleeper, it may wake you up in the middle of the night, I don't know if it was only our room but it's worth asking about.
One other not so nice amenity was the patio out side our room- it was just 2 plastic chaise lounges with a small table and a brick planter with no plants, just wood chips -- kinda ugly. We weren't there long enough to want to use our balcony/patio but it was not impressive. The pool area with the lounge chairs and cabanas is much much nicer, beautiful.
I also didn't mind the "communal" bath toiletries, so what if they refill the same containers? It creates less trash and if you are worried that someone else has touched it, well, I have to say you probably should wipe everything down with antibacterial cleaner if you are that concerned about germs in a hotel bathroom.
We had breakfast by the pool and the dining areas inside and out are lovely and waitstaff was great. The food was fine, not spectacular but no complaints...
The parking fee of $35 seems excessive, maybe because this is BH, but not that far off from downtown LA hotels where I believe we paid $27.
Overall, we would stay at the Avalon again, but maybe just asking a few more questions about updates on the a/c and checking for specials or deals .
Also, one last thought: I notice that some people just don't like contemporary decor/style, which they may think is cold and minimalist. If you want warm, homey like decor, Avalon is probably not for you.

Room Tip: If you want to be in the main building, call and make sure before you book online Ask if the room h...
Green Features: I like that the bathroom soaps and lotions are refilled, creating less trash
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Matthew B, Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear socalsun,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to post this detailed review of your recent experience with us, here at Avalon Beverly Hills.

I was pleased to note that your Deluxe Patio Room in the Beverly Tower provided you with an excellent retreat to rest and recharge. Each of our three buildings provide a unique room experience, and indeed the Beverly Tower offers a most peaceful stay.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our iconic hourglass pool and cabanas and pleased to see your appreciation for our commitment to reducing our carbon footprint through the use of our Neil George environmentally friendly process.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
North Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

My husband, son and I made a last minute trip to California. We checked rates and decided to stay at The Avalon Beverly Hills.
From the time we drove into the valet we where treated very well by everyone from the valet staff to the front desk staff. We have stayed at many hotels in the past and I must say we have never received such wonderful treatment. Always a smile on everyone's face which was genuinely pleasant.
The roll away bed was the only complaint we had and although they said all of there roll away beds were in poor shape, they reinforced the bed with extra blankets so my son would be comfy, and they did not charge us the fee for the bed so I really can't complain about that either.
Jason was our server in the restaurant the 2 days we had breakfast there and he was super awesome! Also the bartender at night made the best mojito I have ever had in my life!!!
Next time we visit we will come without our son so we can experience the nighttime party by the pool which looked very fun and relaxing.
We will be back to visit very soon and can't wait to see all the great staff again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Shanna R,

Indeed, I am immensely proud of our team here at the Avalon. Each of our colleagues is dedicated to providing all of our guests with the best possible experience, whether this is at the Front Desk, in our guestrooms, or at Oliverio, our poolside Italian restaurant.

I was concerned when I read your note that we were unable to accommodate you in a guest room with two double beds but pleased to see that we were able to provide a comfortable additional bed for your son.

On behalf of all colleagues here at Avalon, thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. We certainly hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

My daughter and I booked into this hotel from the Hotel Tonight App, We were upgraded to the Penthouse Suite and was told by Alesandro at Check-in cool facts about the history of the hotel, including the fact that Marilyn Monroe lived there for two and a half years. The room was great. kinda funky and bathroom had really neat fixtures. This is not your cookie cutter hotel room, interesting and well done. I can't say enough about the staff but as I said particularly Alesandro, who went over and above, he made me feel like a house guest. I realized that he did this for everyone when I saw him speaking in Italian to other guests. He is a gem, and the hotel should know that! The hotel was a great experience for us, great location, interesting history and great staff. I didn't like that the hotel room was a separate building but that was the worst thing I could say. Overall, a great tip with my daughter. This hotel is in a great location!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Helen C,

Thank you for sharing such lovely comments following your recent stay with us, here at Avalon Beverly Hills.

It was a pleasure having you with us and I was excited to read that we were able to accommodate you in our Penthouse Suite on this occasion.

We certainly have an amazing history and are lucky to have had so many iconic guests stay with us over the years.

I was most pleased to read your wonderful comments regarding our guest services team, and in particular Alessandro. All of our team members take great personal pride in ensuring our guests have fun and memorable stays.

On behalf of the entire Avalon Team; thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best,

Rockingham, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We arrived early in the morning, arrived after 22 hours in flight and transits. We were exhausted. The staff was so friendly and helpful. They got a room ready for us immediately even though we were too early. When we wanted to go and explore the helped us pick the right busses and routes to go. We loved this hotel. The rooms were light and comfortable. We would love to come back to this hotel again!

Room Tip: Not sure what all the rooms look like but the whole hotel seemed to be the same.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Matthew B, Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear l3n0r,

It was a pleasure having you with us and I was pleased to read that our team was able to help you enjoy all that Beverly Hills has to offer.

We’re certainly lucky to be in such a special spot. Our location offers the best of both worlds; peace and calm from our residential surroundings and everything you can possibly desire within walking distance.

Best,

Solothurn, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

As said in the title, the staff is really friendly. We arrived in the evening and there was quite a lot going on at the reception. But even then, we could check-in very quickly and the staff tried its best to make sure everything went smooth.
The rooms are average. Some of the stuff should be upgraded (TV, telephone) but on the other side there are nice gadgets like an alarm with iPod dock. Another thing which wasn't that great was the WiFi reception. It's perfect in the lobby but once you're in your room you literally have to search the best spot to even check mails. This has happened to me and my friend, so I don't think it's a phone related issue.
Other than that, the rooms are good and you get a nice view of the pool in the middle of the hotel complex.
Regarding the location: if you're looking for bars, pubs and stuff, you're at the wrong hotel! There's not much around within walking distance.

A recommendation at the end of this review: try their restaurant "oliverio"!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Thomas G,

Thanks for sharing such lovely comments following your recent stay with us, here at Avalon Beverly Hills.

I am glad you were able to enjoy our delicious food and beverage offerings at Oliverio restaurant. Chef Mirko Paderno's signature menus feature modern Italian food with regional touches and are a "feast for the senses".

I was certainly most excited to read your kind note about our dedicated service team throughout your visit.

Thank you again for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. We hope to see you back soon!

Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Avalon. The hotel is in the middle of Beverly Hills, but in what felt like a little more of a residential area – which was great because there was very little traffic in the area, especially at night. Lobby is stunning. Very friendly staff, from the valet to check in. I had a room in the tower, and the bed was very comfortable. Loved the mid-century decor of the room. Nice bathroom. I could hear a little noise from hall and room next door, but not enough to bother me or make me lose sleep. Slept very well both nights. Room service was absolutely delicious, and the staff very accommodating when I asked for a very early breakfast. I would definitely stay here again, and have recommended to friends. Love that they even offered yoga by the pool one morning. (The pool is incredible.) If you're considering a stay in Beverly Hills, the Avalon offers a much more personal experience than the big chain hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Try to book a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Matthew B, Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Lisavee11,

It was a pleasure having you with us and we were delighted to learn that you were able to relax and enjoy the Kelly Wearstler designed lobby and Beverly Tower residences all tucked away in our little corner of Beverly Hills.

I am glad you were able to enjoy our delicious food and beverage offerings. Chef Mirko Paderno's signature menus feature modern Italian food with regional touches and are a "feast for the senses".

I was certainly most excited to read your kind note about our dedicated service team throughout your visit and that you enjoyed Saturday morning Yoga by the pool!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Was the best stay of our week long trip. Great, friendly and helpful service. Staff were brilliant and always there to help in anyway they could. Even made my two young children feel very welcome. Definitely stay again :)

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Lara_Blake2009,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to post your recent experience with us, here at Avalon Beverly Hills.

Indeed, I am immensely proud of our team here at the Avalon. Each of our colleagues is dedicated to providing all of our guests with the best possible experience; whether it be from our reception team, in our guestrooms, or at Oliverio, our poolside Italian restaurant.

Director of Rooms

Been to Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!