“Wish the hotel was as nice as the people” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 14 hotels in Beverly Hills
Los Angeles, California
“Wish the hotel was as nice as the people”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am re submitting this review because of an incident that happened and was not rectified by the hotel on my behalf. First off, the hotel has charm but feels very dingy. Lots of paint slapped on rotting wood and rusting metal. The bed did have crisp clean sheets but the carpet had lots of stains and the bathroom didnt feel clean because of bad craftsmanship in paint and tile. The other thing to be aware of, if you are a light sleeper, some rooms face the alley and the apartment building next door's parking is right below so lots of noise late at night and early morning. On a positive note, the front desk is very friendly and the restaurant is very good.

The incident I am referring to is the valet over night. When I checked in for the overnight stay, the valet checked the car and marked previous damage noting on a card and lifting his hand to signal to the security camera. I had no damage to the passenger front fender and did not notice any when I left because I got in on the driver's side. When I noticed it the following day, I called and was immediately given the valet company's phone number. I was quite pleased that they asked that I send photos and they would submit for a claim. A few days later, I received an email that they had to deny the claim. I contacted the hotel and they followed up for me but they were unable to sway the valet company who is not part of the hotel. So for the great bargain that this hotel is, I incurred $500 for my deductible and the hotel manager apologized and offered me a free stay which doesnt help the fact that I am out of pocket $500. Very disappointed when a hotel will wash its hands of damaged incurred on their property. Check your cars especially those of you with low fenders.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Tijs K, Executive Assistant Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Elena,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills.

We very much appreciate your kind comments about the service you received throughout your stay and about the experience you enjoyed at our restaurant, Oliverio. I was certainly concerned to read your notes about the overall maintenance of the hotel. Our three buildings date back to the 50s and we are proud to be in such a unique space. Our maintenance team prides itself on keeping the property look at it’s very best and I was therefore disappointed that we did not meet your expectations in this regard.

I am most thankful for the fact that you reached out to me directly once you witnessed the damage to your vehicle. It allowed us the opportunity to ensure that all required follow up processes were promptly and accurately attended to by our valet parking service provider. As the damage was reported 48 hours after your departure from the hotel, it unfortunately opens up many other opportunities for the vehicle to get damaged and the insurance carrier of our valet parking provider was therefore unable to approve your claim.

In an effort to make amends, and as a gesture of good will, we offered you a gift certificate to stay with us again in the future. This offer was not extended in lieu of any repair reimbursements, but in recognition of the inconvenience we understand you encountered throughout this process and in appreciation of your patronage.

We are disappointed that we were unable to address your concerns to your satisfaction on this occasion. It is always our number one priority to ensure that all of our guests enjoy a comfortable stay and that any questions, requests, or concerns are attended to in a timely and satisfactory fashion.

Thank you again for choosing the Avalon Hotel for your recent stay. We hope that you will allow us another chance and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

487 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Superb value in Beverly Hills! A fun smaller hotel with a retro feel. Excellent, friendly staff who went out of their way to be helpful. Amber was fantastic.Only minor complaint is the hotel is about a 15 minute walk to the heart of Beverly Hills-but the staff more than made up for it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Tijs K, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Mark,

Thank you kindly for posting this review of your recent experience at the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills. We very much appreciate your kind comments about the service you received from our team while staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Hotel Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Great location within walking distance of Rodeo Drive. On arrival I was allocated incorrect room however Amber did her best to please and did not disappoint. She even escorted me personally to my room holding an umbrella over me ( yes it did rain but did not spoil my stay)! LOVE this hotel and the staff always knew my name and greeted me every time I was in reception. Amazing location and not a bad price for Beverly Hills. Also loved the intimate pool area with great ambience and pool heated all year round. Nice little workout room available 24/7. Saturday night the restaurant was very busy too with lovely atmosphere. Good sized modern room in relaxing colour with huge comfy bed and every amenity. Will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Request main building with pool view although rooms quieter in adjacent buildings if you prefer. I l...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Tijs K, Executive Assistant Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Michele,

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your experience of the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills.

We were glad learn that you took full benefit from our location and proximity to Rodeo Drive with all its amazing shops and restaurants, while still taking the opportunity to enjoy the unique poolside dining experience at our restaurant Oliverio.

I certainly wish to extend a sincere apology for the mix-up with room that was allocated to you, however I was pleased to note that Amber was able to swiftly address your concern and personally escort you to your room.

The team and I are most thankful for your patronage and for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Avalon Hotel in the not too distant future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This hotel is beautiful! I wanted to take all of the furniture home!! The staff are friendly and helpful immediately from the moment you get there! Even getting out a taxi at 1am was met with the valet a smile and a welcome back.
I had drinks at the pool one night. Service was fast friendly and unobtrusive. Really made the stay special.
My only issue was that my room. 241. Was noisy as it was outside the lift. The staff moved me immediately to 222 and the room was huge. However the noise from the connecting room and room above was an issue. I felt myself creeping around so I wouldn't disturb others!
Make sure you get a room on a top floor and you will have one of the best hotels in West Hollywood/Beverly Hills (,I've stayed in several). I would stat again!

• Stayed January 2013
Tijs K, Executive Assistant Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear samyreynolds,

Thank you for choosing the Avalon and for sharing your recent experience with us.

It was such a pleasure to have you as our guests and we must agree that the furniture throughout the hotel is indeed an inspiring asset that many of us, and our guests, would love to have in our homes. Kelly Wearstler designed all our public spaces and guest rooms and she has a boutique on Melrose Avenue here in Los Angeles where furniture, accessories, and clothes are for sale.

I certainly wish to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered due to the noise levels within your guestroom. We offer three different buildings with each their unique benefits and I am certain that we will be able to find the perfect room for you on your next stay with us.

Thank you again for staying with us and for posting this review. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Very nice hotel with great location, We walked to Rodeo Drive from there. The hotel is not very big but everything is nice and clean, staff was very helpful and always greeting you by your name either when coming back or leaving the hotel, they even learned my baby's name. We didn't get to enjoy the pool during our stay because it was so cold, although we were told it was heated. Over all it was a nice play to stay, I would say we will stay there again if we're in the area.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Laura,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Avalon and for sharing your experience.

We very much appreciate your kind comments about the location, service, and the property itself. We certainly hope that you’ll have a chance to visit us again during warmer days and enjoy a day out by our signature hourglass pool.

Nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I'm writing to express how truly amazing my husband & I's hotel stay was. This was an incredibly affordable option. Our room was large and huge. The lobby is grand and check in & check out were pleasant. The gym is just the right size and has all the important fitness equipment. I did not see a spot of dust in the entire hotel. The pool is very pretty - just smelled of lots of chlorine- otherwise this is a perfect place for a perfect stay & escape from NYC- room 433

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lidia,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. The team and I were so proud to read your comments about the hotel and the service you received upon your arrival and departure.

On behalf of all of us at the Avalon, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel is located near the Golden Triangle (fancy shopping area) of Beverly Hills so the location is especially good if you like to shop. It`s also pretty close to West Hollywood and Koreatown (10 minute drive) and about 20 minutes from downtown so the location is convenient in general.

The front desk staff were EXTREMELY friendly and helpful. They made an effort to remember us and greet us personally by name every time we walked by. They also provided maps, driving directions to the airport, let us use the front desk phone once for free when we were having trouble with our portable Internet device, as well as requesting room cleaning services, valet assistance, etc., etc. etc. I can`t say enough about how wonderful and friendly they were (especially Amber Smith, who gave us her card before we left).

The valet parking service was also fast, friendly and convenient. There was even someone standing by to open doors for us every time we walked in and out. Truly amazing service.

The pool area was beautiful though too cold this time of year to go swimming. The room was very clean and included an ironing board, robes, shampoo & body wash, a hairdryer, towels a mini-fridge, TV and heating unit. My only dislikes for the room would be that the bed and pillows (feather-filled) were a bit less firm than I like but that is just my personal preference. The heating unit was also ceiling-mounted so it may take a while for the warm air to make its way down to your feet should you happen to stay in the winter.

The hotel also had a bit of a motel layout in the sense that the pool area and room doors open to the outside so you can hear outdoor noise at times (heard the garbage truck come by in the morning a couple times but it only lasted a few minutes). The room doors do not face a main street though so noise is generally quite minimal.

We got our room for $150 per night using Priceline over New Year`s so it was pretty affordable for a stay in Beverly Hills. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tijs K, Executive Assistant Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and share your recent experience with us at the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills.

We very much enjoyed reading about your experience and the team and I were in particular proud of your kind comments regarding the service you received throughout your stay with us.

As we continue to enhance our guest room experience we will most certainly consider your suggestions about the firmness of the mattress and pillows as well as the heating unit inside your room.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and for choosing the Avalon Hotel for your stay in Beverly Hills.

Executive Assistant Manager

Been to Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!