“Great hotel for a very high price” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Montage Memories
Ranked #4 of 14 hotels in Beverly Hills
Los Angeles, California
“Great hotel for a very high price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is a great hotel. The staff makes you feel comfortable and welcome. The service is outstanding. But the cost for food, spa and the room are not worth it. I would suggest staying at the hotel but I would not buy anything at the hotel. There are dozens of restaurants in the area there are just good if not better and are not as expensive. I understand that they are catering to a particular clientele but it is still very expensive...

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balconey.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

402 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
palm springs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I had been "saving" up my stay at the Montage for a special occasion after having stayed at a good bulk of the other BH hotels. I have to stay it is definitively my most overpriced hotel stay in my 36 year old life. From Europe to Asia, value wise it was utterly disgraceful. I left feeling ripped off. Terrible feeling.

I was in town for MD visits with my 86 year old dad with an unexpected stayover and I saw this on Hotels Tonight, so I decided to snatch it up. I wanted something refined and non-hipster for my dad and I thought they would be really kind and welcoming to him.

This is what I got for a one night stay for $720 (hotels tonight deal at $585, resort fee, taxes and valet)

Lousy confusing valet experience where I unknowingly blocked the downstairs driveway (after having been flagged to park there), tried to courteously back up to move out of the way and the valet told me to get out of the car and said "I got this". I felt like I had done something wrong, not like I was driving into a first class resort.

VERY VERY welcoming front desk who was affable and inviting. He walked us to our room and was very personable along the way. He made everything better.

Walk to the room was very far and long. It felt like a Vegas hotel. Wasn't the smartest idea to give my dad the room farthest from the elevator but maybe that was all they had. Front desk guy was so nice, it was forgivable :)

Room had two beds, a chair, a desk, a minibar unit. Small and certainly not opulent or uber luxe. Value? maybe $300 being generous. Bathroom was nice and normal. No frills. View overlooked some mechanical or A/C machines. Literally unsightly. I asked for an extra blanket and they brought a cotton blanket that looked like it came from Martha Stewart's Target line. Certainly peanuts versus a room at Hermitage or Peninsula etc.

Fire alarm went off as we came out of the elevator on our way to dinner. Not one hotel staff guiding us what to do or where to go. I tracked down a suited man with a name tag on and asked him what we should do. Verbatim "dont worry about it." and a smug smile as he scurried off. Im with my 86 year old dad, I'm kind of worried about it....Ill give the hotel the benefit of the doubt that he could have been part of the restaurant but that response would NEVER happen at the Peninsula, Four Seasons, Beverly Hills Hotel. Please GM, teach your staff to stop talking like they are bouncers in a club. And if a fire alarm goes off, place some staff around to instruct people what to do.

Dinner at Scarpetta was chaotic, disjointed (fire alarm source was in the restaurant apparently) but surprisingly not that overpriced and quite good.

Early morning departure, stand-offish front desk this time. They were leaning up against the back wall like soldiers. Weird body language. Again, I felt like I was interrupting them to ask them to check out. Not one "good morning", not one "how was your stay", not one "have a good day." I would have been happy to let them know how my stay was instead of airing it on trip advisor, but they never asked. Nor did it seem that they cared.

And so, my take away. Service was unpolished and unprofessional, especially in the case of an emergency. Absolutely unacceptable as my safety should be a huge priority. Rooms were unremarkable. Absolutely nothing memorable. There are SO many other hotels in LA that offer pristine service and rooms that dont overlook the mechanical room in this price range. I don't mind paying big money to feel welcome and at home even if my room isn't special. But there was none of that. There is no reason I can find to ever stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
MontageBH1, General Manager at Montage Beverly Hills, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Taruccia,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit. I can only imagine how frustrating it must have been for you and your father, and invite you to contact me directly as I would appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns personally. I take it very seriously when we fall short and I have reviewed your comments in detail with my team.

My sincere thanks once again for your feedback and kindest regards.

Hermann Elger
(310) 860-7808
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

By far one of my top 5 places to stay anywhere in the world.

I have stayed at the Montage about 15 times as I used it as my home away from home when I travel to LA. The staff recognize me immediately when I pull up. Service and staff top notch and professional . Rooms are comfortable and relaxing. Beds are heavenly.

Location is excellent and the food is great. I can't think of anything negative to say about the Montage and I'm looking forward to visiting some of their other properties.

I am a creature of habit and ince I find a place to stay in a particular city, I typically won't stay elsewhere unless they fail to deliver exceptional service. The Montage Beverly Hills wins my business.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Loved my stay at the Montage - excellent welcome from the staff and seamless check in. Room was so wonderful - large bathroom, plush bed and pillows, excellent space for storage. Food was slightly overpriced (but I wouldn't expect any cheaper given the hotel). Couldn't use the spa as I hadn't booked in advance. Had a wonderful breakfast up on the rooftop and enjoyed the pool. A++ Only complaint was that the walls were relatively thin and could hear people in the corridor (who sadly decided to make a lot of noise at 3am).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was recently in Los Angeles for a specialized eye surgery at UCLA, I knew that I would need to be there for 1 week for the first eye and a few weeks later spend a week for the other eye operation. The surgery only took an hour and was an outpatient procedure so I had to find somewhere that would feel as close to or better than home for me to recover. I had heard great things about The Montage from friends who had stayed there and it was really stretching my budget for something that wasn't quite a vacation, but after each stay I felt it was really worth the splurge. I loved my room with an amazingly comfortable bed with the finest of sheets and the monogramed pillow with my initial was a nice personal touch. The staff was more than generous with making sure that i had everything I needed, a plush room with large 5 star bathroom, high quality sheets, electric drapes, a refrigerator, safe, great room service, and quite generous with the bottled water. All the restaurants were great and my favorite was the Bouchon Bakery just across the grass where I could indulge in the amazing pastries and hot drinks. The day before each surgery I spent in the high end spa and the last few days of my stay each time, I spent on the roof sun deck simply relaxing and taking in the California Sun. The Montage was a quiok drive from UCLA and worked out to be an easy place to get to and from.
I believe the positive atmosphere helped in my quick recovery. I wish no one to have to have eye surgery, but if you happen to be in LA for any medical reason that doesn't require a hospital,
please consider the Montage in Beverly Hills for your recovery paradise!

Room Tip: Corner Suited are large and sunny
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

There are a lot of swanky hotels in Beverly Hills, but when asked by my husband where I would like to spend our 5 year wedding anniversary, I suggested the Montage. I had heard a lot of wonderful things about the Montage since moving to Los Angeles, yet never had an opportunity/reason to stay there. He booked a weekend that included dinner at their restaurant, Scarpetta, and a full day at their spa. Upon arrival the front desk was so friendly and helpful. When we got into the room, they had set up complimentary wine, cheese and chocolates for our anniversary. The spa was AMAZING. I can truly say that it is one of the best Spa experiences I have ever had. I got a one hour deep tissue massage and a facial. Both were relaxing and comfortable. The products they used smelled so incredible and my skin felt so soft afterwards. The entire ambiance of the spa made me feel like a princess, and not to mention that the staff was probably one of the friendliest. Lots of friendly people in this hotel. Dinner at Scarpetta was very good, not incredible, but hey, it’s Beverly Hills, the competition is tight. I had a truffle risotto that was delicious. My husband had a Sea Bass special. We were sat promptly and the wait staff brought out an anniversary desert and complimentary champagne. I was appreciative of the courtesy the staff took to ensure that we were well-taken care of on our special day. The rooms...Oh my. The sheets, the pillows. I could live in those beds. Honestly, I could not have picked a better hotel to celebrate with my hubby. Five stars for the Montage and their friendly and considerate staff.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the gardens provide a gorgeous view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I was able to bring my family to Beverly Hills for the first time and we can only rave about our stay.

From the moment we made the reservation with great responsiveness from the team to the handling of our lost and found items. It was fantastic. We arrived around noon on Friday and were able to check-in immediately, our suite was overlooking the front of the hotel which was perfectly fine and there was no noise coming in from the street. The amenities provided were of high quality as well as the room itself. As our son joined us in our suite, the housekeeping team prepared the pull-out sofa and made him feel very welcome and comfortable. The employees were very personable and they greeted us by name without it being too much. Experiencing the Parc, Observatory and especially £10 with Wahid and Cash were special and added as their own experiences. We didn't experience the spa this time around, however will do so next time. The team was very welcoming when we walked through getting to know the facilities. The rooftop pool was great and my son and I had a great time.

The location of the hotel is better than any other hotel in my opinion as it is not on the main strip of Rodeo Drive, however it is just 2 blocks away. The hotel gives you a sense wellbeing, activity, privacy and relaxation. Experiencing that in the middle of the city is wonderful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Montage Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!