“Pretty good Ethiopian food.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 532 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Denver, Colorado
“Pretty good Ethiopian food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

Pretty good Ethiopian food.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I had my first Ethiopian...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

I had my first Ethiopian food experience at Finfine in Berkeley. I've been there twice thus far and loved it both times. The rich flavors in every dish appeal to my liking of flavorful foods. I'm not an expert in Ethiopian food and cannot vouch for the authenticity of this restaurant, but I do hope this place is authentic. It would be heart shattering if I find out otherwise.

I had the Dulet the first time I was there and the memory of the dish made me come back for more. The Dulet is described on the menu as "One of Ethiopia's most cherished dishes. This dish is usually served during the holidays (such as Christmas and Easter) and special ocasions. Tender lean ground beef and tripe sautéed in a special blend of house spices, onions, jalapeño peppers, garlic and spiced butter." A dish so special it is served during holidays? How can anyone pass that up? And one shouldn't because it's really really good. So I had it again the second time around. It was as good as the first time.

I also had the Awaze chicken, the vegetarian combo, a tuna dish and a lamb dish. (Sorry, I forgot which tuna dish and which lamb dish.) All were bursting with rich flavors. There's not one thing I've had that I wouldn't recommend.

I should mention one thing about the Injera, which is the spongie flatbread Ethiopian restaurants serve with their meals. The way Ethiopian food is eaten is to grab your food with a piece of Injera and transport it directly from the serving platter to your mouth. (This restaurant does not provide individual plates or utensils unless you ask for it.) Apparently not everyone can enjoy/appreciate the Injera. One my second visit, two people didn't enjoy either its spongie texture or its sour flavor or both. They opted to skip the Injera and just eat the food with a spoon. Nevertheless, they enjoyed the meal. I had heard about the Injera prior to my visit to Finfine and to be honest, I was a bit apprehensive. But I'm glad to say I quite enjoy it. I also have no problem eating with my hands. I'd do anything for tasty food.

Service wise I guess I can say it's efficient enough. One waiter served the entire restaurant of 7 tables. It was a packed dining room but this one waiter managed it all by himself. He even had time to come by to check if we were doing ok. Pretty impressive for a one-person team.

Cost wise this restaurant is very reasonable. On my second visit, I was there with a party of 7. The bill came out to $120. That included tax and tip. Not bad at all for all the intricately prepared food we got.

I highly recommend Finfine to those who like to explore Ethiopian food.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
“good, tasty, well made food consistently. The Doro tibbs is excellent in conjunction with the veggie combo for a family...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2008

good, tasty, well made food consistently. The Doro tibbs is excellent in conjunction with the veggie combo for a family (Doro Wat only on the weekends unfortunately)