“Run while you can!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 21 hotels in Berkeley
Oakland, California
“Run while you can!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

First off I don't understand how they can charge over $100 on a room that should be more like $50 and please don't let the pictures fool you. Me my boyfriend and our 7month old son had a room on the 3rd floor. No help at all, had to carry our bags and stroller all the way up to the 3rd floor. We were sleep and for some reason "Thank God" in my mind I said to myself I don't want to wake up and someone is standing over me. Next thing I know and I really mean not even 10seconds later somebody is opening our door I scream my boyfriend woke up ran towards the door and the guy ran off. Calling the front desk, my boyfriend went down stairs and no manager or front desk person to be found. Finally my boyfriend caught up with the manager for him to say it was a guy that works there and sometimes sleeps in that room and he forgot to get the key back from him. I had a fight with the manager to get my money back in the morning. It was like a horror movie.. I've never experinced anything like that before in my life.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
oslo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

As an international journalist I have been to 102 countries. This is the worst hotel experience ever. And in San Francisco, the most beautiful city in the world! I wanted to stay in the Berkeley area, because I was doing an interview with a professor at Berkeley. The hotels webpage is a complete falsification. The hotel was a dump. Since it shares location with a Pakistani/Indian restaurant, the smell of food penetrated every inch of the hotel and its rooms. My room was very dirty. VERY dirty. Do not look under the bed. Please... I stayed there two nights. No cleaning. It is amazing that the sanitation authorities has not closed this property. Believe me. This is a fair review.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I will start by saying I have not stayed here. I tried. I booked a room online a month and a half before my stay, partial payment was charged to my c/c, received the email confirmation and even received a call from Roger at Beau Sky to confirm the reservation. Fast forward to today, two weeks before my trip, and Roger calls to tell me they can't honor my reservation. What? Roger's explanation is that the owner had simply decided to rent the room to someone else and would not honor the reservation I had made. (it was not clear on what grounds the owner made this judgement) I asked about the verbal confirmation I had received and it was explained to me that this decision had just been made. I asked to talk to the owner and was advised he "didn't like confrontation" and I could not speak to him. I asked if they could arrange alternate lodging and they said they could not help. I asked about the non-refundable deposit and booking fees and was told to call someone else. Really? Beau Sky has been a huge disappointment.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

It's hard to figure out why some reviews rate this hotel higher than terrible. The pictures shown in the website are NOTHING, like the real thing. In reality the place is old, not very well maintained, extremelly smelly, bad serviced and we spotted a cockroach. Our room was never made, and the manager was never around. Id agree that if your looking for something similar to a "Berkeley frat house experience" you'd maybe enjoy staying here, but this is not the way the hotel is sold in its web page. The hotel is advertised as something of a boutique place, and my family felt scammed after seeing the real thing. For just 10 dollars more we switched to the Doubletree Marina.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Stayed two nights: The location is great but that is the only positive thing I can say. The bed was so old it sagged in the middle, the blanket was just a pilled, old & nasty. The window in the room could not be closed due to a makeshift screen. This was a problem because the exhaust & smells from the curry resturant located on the first floor wafted constantly into the room. It was naueating and made my cloths stink. The towels appeared to have been recently used upon our arrival. The handtowels were bathmats. The sink had peeling & moldy cauking. For this experience I paid $240 US. Certainly not worth it.

Room Tip: think twice before you stay here
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I read the reviews before booking our room and admit I was a bit worried. Quickly realized that the people who don't like this hotel need more than most of us. The room was fine, location is great, and the food is awesome. We loved our stay and will go back.

• Stayed August 2010
Santa Clara, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

Was in town for my sister-in-law's Cal soccer game. Found Beau Sky online, looked at a few reviews which seemed pretty good, and the location looked good on a map, so I booked it. Got about 3 hours of sleep all night. The stench of curry permeates every inch of the hotel (from the Indian restaurant on the ground floor). Despite the windows being closes, could hear EVERYTHING going on outside, which was A LOT since it was the night before Halloween and the college kids were going absolutely nuts. We had to endure drunken screaming until 3:30am. And to make it even worse, the bed was such a joke it was almost like sleeping in a hammock. The mattress was so old and soft you'd sink in and practically disappear. We left the next morning at 7am, exhausted, sore, and stinking of curry.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Beau (Blue) Sky Hotel? Share your experiences!