“There's Always Room for Improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Home for the Holidays!
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
chesapeake, va
“There's Always Room for Improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

I stayed at the Claremont for a week in July while I attended a conference that was held there. The hotel is quite a ways from San Francisco airport, so if you don't have a car, be prepared to pay very expensive shuttle fees (27.60 per head). I am not sure about the cost of a taxi ride.
We arrived at the hotel about an hour and a half early, but the staff would not let us check in, not even one minute early. We were allowed, however, to leave our bags with the concierge until check-in. The hotel grounds are beautiful and well-maintained. My room was large and spacious, but my view was awful. My room (#157) overlooked the roof. The hallways are large and spacious, but there is a 1 1/2 to 2 inch space at the bottom of the doors, so you can hear foot traffic and talking in the hallways at night. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There is no high speed Internet. You have to pay for Internet service.
There is no continental breakfast, but there is a marvelous bakery about a block down the hill, perhaps a 10 minute walk. I personally thought the meals at the hotel were quite expensive. I cannot comment on food quality because I chose to eat elsewhere.
There are quite a few shops down on College Ave., about a 30 minute walk from the hotel. If you really feel adventurous, the UC-Berkeley campus is a 90 minute, one way walk (about 3 miles), but along a busy well-traveled street, so safety or fear was not really an issue. The BART train station is about a $10.00 cab ride from the hotel, so you are well within striking distance of Chinatown, the Fisherman's Wharf, etc.
If you are coming to enjoy San Francisco, then the Claremont may not be for you. It is a bit out of the way. Again, the hotel and surrounding neighborhoods are beautiful, but I prefer to be a little closer to the action of downtown San Fran.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
BCarl, General Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, August 3, 2010
Berkeley is a beautiful and quaint city, about 13 miles from San Francisco. We appreciate that you shared some local areas within walking distance from the hotel. High speed internet connection is available at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. Some packages include a Facilities Charge which offers access to the Club, 3 pools, access to sauna & whirlpool at the club, more than 50 fitness classes, in room coffee & tea, complementary high speed internet & local calls. Thank you for sharing your thoughts & comments about your recent stay during the conference.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

My wife, my 16 year old son, and I stayed at the Claremont for 5 days. The hotel itself is great. Spacious halls, large rooms although I would have liked to have had a place to put my clothes away. There was no chest or drawer space other than a few so we lived out of the suitcase. The fitness club was great with really nice people and we loved the pools.

The Claremont is now surrounded by residential homes. There is a bit to see and some great restaurants within a 15 or twenty minute walk and we loved that. Once we had looked around, the pools and fitness centre were the big thing for us and that was entirely weather dependent.

All in all, a great hotel with great staff.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa with your wife and son. We appreciate the kind words about our staff. It’s wonderful that you were able to explore the local area. We hope to welcome you and your family back with us soon.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

Wonderful old hotel. With a few services upgrades, could easily be a 5 Star.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
BCarl, General Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Thank you for the review. We’re glad you enjoyed your time at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa.
malibu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

I stayed at the Claremont for one night with a girlfriend just for fun. There was a deal on Travel Zoo for $159 and we thought we would take advantage. The deal included the resort fee, parking and a $20 credit towards food at any of the restaurants, even room service. The hotel itself was beautiful. I loved the fact that you could easily drive into the convenient front parking lot and park your own car without anyone bothering you (valet) OR you could drive up to the valet and have them park your car for you (we didn't). Check in was easy and pleasant. I'm always prepared to be treated like a second class citizen whenever I go to a hotel on a "deal", but that wasn't the case here. Our greeting was great! Our room was nice, very small and dark but we didn't expect much different than that from a grand old hotel. It was clean and sufficient. The view wasn't the greatest, it looked over the parking lot, but there were trees on the hillside above. I went for a swim in the pool in the morning and it was wonderful. They have 2 pools and an awesome jacuzzi that had a variety of different jets at different heights. It was empty in the morning (9:30-ish). The OUTDOOR lap pool was warm and nice. I hate cold hotel pools! Hot tea and coffee available at the changing room entrance which was clean and nice. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurants but I was keen to use my $20 coupon for food so I ordered a pot of tea from room service. I was a little scared to use the coupon because with these things there is always some fine print that you didn't know about that says "you have to spend $100 to get $20 off" or something like that. The pot of tea was indeed listed on the room service menu at $12.95 as another reviewer pointed out but when I called on the phone for the tea it was billed for about $5.00. Still high for a pot of tea but people will spend $5 on a latte at Starbucks and this was great to have delivered with fresh milk and honey, gratuity was included. Server was really nice and polite. Sure enough, when we checked out the tea was on our bill. When I mentioned the $20 coupon the front desk person mentioned that it was for $20 off a charge higher than $20. When my face soured she said it was no problem to take the charge off and she did so in seconds with a smile and no problems. It was her idea and I didn't feel like the second class citizen with the "hotel deal rate"!! Her name was Makiva and she was so incredibly pleasant and professional she blew my socks off! I have traveled around the world for 30+ years staying at hundreds of hotels in my life and this one was great, if only for the service. We felt like queens! The whole visit was great! HINT TO HOTELS: When a guest comes to stay at your hotel on a "special rate" it does not mean they are cheapskates or poor and if you treat them right, they will not only write you a good review on TRIP ADVISOR but will return to your hotel even when there IS no special rate. I will go back to the Claremont again, and would definately consider it for a special event venue. It was a lovely experience!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
BCarl, General Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
Thank you for choosing us to enjoy a fun getaway with your friend! We want all our guests to feel like queens and kings during their visit. So reading a positive review like yours shows us that it’s working! Your review is greatly appreciated. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Claremont Hotel Club & Spa.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

We stayed at the Claremont June 27,2010, 21st anniversary, booked the room online and talked to someone on the phone for specifics meaning a view of the bay not the parking lot and trees...We paid special for that romantic view...The young man at the desk "Meya Kassa" sent us to room 908 (no view of the bay) we also had the Spa package deal...We went back downstairs with luggage and all and he gave us the right room after he saw our package deal with a complementary bag from the Spa... He could have done that the first time, what if we had not complained about our room? We would have never know we were suppose to get the spa package with the room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
BCarl, General Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, July 6, 2010
You have our apologies for the difficulty you experienced during check in with your room. We encourage our guests to bring to our attention any concerns they have during their stay so that we can address it immediately. We are glad that you did so we could correct the situation for you right away. We hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay. Happy 21st Anniversary from everyone at the Claremont Hotel Club & Spa.
Martinez, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Claremont for our wedding night last year and returned this year for our anniversary. We were treated to a luxurious stay with exceptional customer service that one would expect at a hotel of this caliber. We had a duet massage that was skillful and romantic, a relaxing afternoon at the huge pool, and a very romantic dinner looking out at the city lights in the distance. Our room was classic and well appointed. It is like staying in Grandmother's mansion. Great bed! We enjoyed first class service everywhere we went. We can't wait until we return next year.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Tried booking hotel on Priceline this time and thought I was getting a decent deal. Online you are not told of hidden fees nor at check in. At checkout I was charged for minibar items I didn't consume plus a $24 per night Priceline fee that the hotel was adamant about.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
BCarl, General Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2010
We’re sorry if there was a misunderstanding regarding the $24 fee. This fee is not associated with the site you mention, but is a Facilities Fee of Claremont Hotel, Club & Spa. It covers a range of things from group exercise classes in the Club, to the use of all Club facilities, free babysitting at the Kid’s Club, Spa discounts, internet access, and local phone calls. A detailed list of what the Facilities Fee covers is available on our website. Unfortunately, we are unable to fully control how this information is conveyed on other travel sites. Thank you for taking the time to write your review but also allowing us an opportunity to clarify any confusion.

Been to Claremont Hotel Club & Spa? Share your experiences!