I stayed at the Claremont for a week in July while I attended a conference that was held there. The hotel is quite a ways from San Francisco airport, so if you don't have a car, be prepared to pay very expensive shuttle fees (27.60 per head). I am not sure about the cost of a taxi ride.
We arrived at the hotel about an hour and a half early, but the staff would not let us check in, not even one minute early. We were allowed, however, to leave our bags with the concierge until check-in. The hotel grounds are beautiful and well-maintained. My room was large and spacious, but my view was awful. My room (#157) overlooked the roof. The hallways are large and spacious, but there is a 1 1/2 to 2 inch space at the bottom of the doors, so you can hear foot traffic and talking in the hallways at night. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There is no high speed Internet. You have to pay for Internet service.
There is no continental breakfast, but there is a marvelous bakery about a block down the hill, perhaps a 10 minute walk. I personally thought the meals at the hotel were quite expensive. I cannot comment on food quality because I chose to eat elsewhere.
There are quite a few shops down on College Ave., about a 30 minute walk from the hotel. If you really feel adventurous, the UC-Berkeley campus is a 90 minute, one way walk (about 3 miles), but along a busy well-traveled street, so safety or fear was not really an issue. The BART train station is about a $10.00 cab ride from the hotel, so you are well within striking distance of Chinatown, the Fisherman's Wharf, etc.
If you are coming to enjoy San Francisco, then the Claremont may not be for you. It is a bit out of the way. Again, the hotel and surrounding neighborhoods are beautiful, but I prefer to be a little closer to the action of downtown San Fran.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since 1915, the Claremont has pampered guests at the level expected of a AAA Four-Diamond award winning hotel. With stress melting spa treatments, a wide range of fitness options, special events, live music, and endless culinary delights, you’ll find the Claremont engaging - even if you choose to simply engage in quality time alone. We deliver attentive service with a gracious hospitality casual enough to make you feel right at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Claremont Hotel Club & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Claremont Hotel Club And Spa
- Claremont Hotel Club Berkeley
- Claremont Resort Berkeley
- Claremont Hotel Berkeley