“Happy Honeymoon!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
Vallejo, California
“Happy Honeymoon!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My weddding night was spent at the Claremont and from the moment i walked into the hotel, I dealt with nothing but class. The man at the front desk was Frank Flynn. He was so polite, and went above and beyond his assigned duties. The room was small, but gorgeous and the view was spectacular. Room service in the morning was great. Mamour was the man who took our order and brought our food, he even carried it up the four flights of stairs to the top of the tower and gave my husband and I a history lesson on the Claremont. I am very satisfied with my stay and the employees i encountered.

Room Tip: I recommend the tower suite!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
What a lovely way to enjoy your first night as a married couple! We couldn’t be more pleased that you had such a great experience celebrating your love at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Providing our guests with exceptional service is of utmost importance to us and we are so glad your stay was a memorable one. Our tower suite is truly such a special treat. We hope you will come visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Dublin, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My wife and I are life-long bay area residents who have always wanted to stay at the Claremont. A few weeks ago I thought I would surprise her by reserving a room for our 29th anniversary. We arrived at 2PM and our room was not available (My mistake not realizing that check-in was at 4PM) but the nice girl at the front desk said that instead of our room with a Bay view she could put us in a room on the spa level that was larger and had been updated. It may have been larger but we did not see anything to make us believe it was updated. At 9 PM we had enough of the unruly room above us (sounded like a bunch of kids running around and jumping around) and called the front office, around 10 PM they finally quieted down. 7 AM they were right back at it. Again, we called the front desk and was told they would again send someone. At 8:30 we called back, and was told security went to the restaurant to find what the noise was instead of going to the room above us. How does that happen?! We commented to the front desk during checkout and was told they would “make it up to us next time”. By doing what, there was nothing given or offered to us to come back with next time. But that wasn’t what bothered me the most.
My wife has had 4 back surgeries and walking can be difficult at times for her. When we first arrived, there were no handicap parking spaces available. I DID however notice a Rolls-Royce was allowed to park in one of the spots, with NO placard or proper plates. Later that evening, I noticed the owner of the Rolls had left, returned and they reserved the handicap parking space for him. To me this showed that money is more important than doing what is right, and obeying the law. Very disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Your candid review is appreciated. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the issues you experienced during your recent visit to our hotel. The incidents as described do not reflect our high standard of service and we appreciate that you have brought this to our attention. It is truly disappointing that sounds from other guests were of any disruption to your peace. While it is not clear in this forum as to the particulars of the parking incident you described, please know that our hotel strictly follows all laws regarding handicapped accessible parking. Your comments will be shared with our management team. We hope that you will give us another chance to earn your trust back in the future.
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Spent a great weekend at the property. Spa/club is very nice and included in the $26 guest fee. Views from higher rooms facing west are spectacular on clear days. Rooms and property are older charm, so if you want brand new, stay at a Hampton. Very nice property and wonderful hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your review of The Claremont, Hotel Club & Spa. It is our goal to provide an exceptional experience. We are elated that your recent stay reflects the type of encounter we hope everyone will have with us and your comments will be shared with all. Our on-site Spa and Club offers our guests some amazing opportunities to relax and we are glad you found value in them. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I had occasion to stay at the Claremont twice in the past month for business. From a distance, this looks like a great place to stay. On the inside, not really. The rooms need updating and most of the hotel has a musty odor to it. Unfortunately, it seems like this hotel has been ignored by its owners. My room was noisy - the doors are not long enough, so you can hear everything that goes on in the hallway.

Then, there is the service. The best thing about the hotel is the "on hold" music is great. Get used to it because you will hear it a lot. The service here is probably the worst I have seen for a hotel of this type. You can tell it all starts at the top. I wonder what the General Manager is thinking. The entire hotel is understaffed, so from check-in to bell service to hotel operators, there is essentially no one there. If you call the front desk they simply don't answer. If you call the bell desk, they rarely answer. The second time I was there it took 30 minutes to check in and another 30 to get the bags delivered to the room. And both visits were mid-week, where it didn't appear that the hotel was too busy.

The staff is clearly overworked, and who can blame them for not being friendly. The entire experience was disappointing and its a shame. If there were competent management, it might be a great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
All guest feedback, positive or otherwise is of great importance to us. We are, truly saddened to learn of your experience and we ask that you accept our most sincere apologies that your entire encounter at our historic hotel was not all that you had hoped it would be. From what you have described, this is not the type of stay we would hope for any of our guests and your comments will be shared with our management team. We encourage our guests to let us know any concerns they might have during their visit so we can tend to these issues as they arise and we regret that you encountered any delay in service. We will use this opportunity to strengthen our commitment to providing the best in service to each and every guest. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Claremonts bills itself as a 5-stay but it is in desperate need of a makeover. This property has seen it's day. The staff is wonderful-they couldn't do enough. We were in a 1 bedroom "suite". Once they converted the sofa to a bed, we still didn't have pillows or blankets & had to call to request them. The casual restaurant was great tho'-the food was good & if you sit outside, there is a view. But I wouldn't recommend it until they updated the 1950's bedroom furniture. Disappointing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, General Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
While we are grateful to know that you enjoyed your dining experience as well as the service you received from our associates, we couldn’t be more disappointed to learn that you were not impressed with your accommodations. Our historic hotel dates back to the early days of the gold rush and is most certainly unique, with no two rooms, or decor exactly alike. We hope that you will consider staying again in the future. Thank you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I travel all of the time, so getting a really good haircut can be challenging since I need to find a stylist wherever I happen to be. While at a conference being held at the Claremont Hotel in Berkeley, CA I found Sunny. She was amazing! She immediately understood my rather difficult hair and gave me the most precision perfect haircut. I love it when I meet a stylist that is truly an expert at their craft. Sunny is incredibly knowledgeable and actually applied the right techniques for my hair. I'm not sure I've ever had such a perfect haircut.
She also shared great advice about how to take really good care of my hair given that I am always on the run.
If you are in need of a new style, a really good haircut, or want great advice for easy hair maintenance, you need to go see Sunny at the Claremont! She was brilliant and not overpriced. Many thanks to Sunny! I'll be back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
What a wonderful review and recommendation to receive! We’re so glad that you enjoyed your time here at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa and we appreciate the kind words for our salon associates and the service you received. There is nothing quite like a fresh look and some good advice! Your comments will be shared with everyone here, particularly those you mentioned by name. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Been to Claremont Hotel Club & Spa? Share your experiences!