“Stunning view of SF bay, but service a bit down” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Beat the Heat Summer Pkg
Ranked #2 of 21 hotels in Berkeley
Los Angeles, California
“Stunning view of SF bay, but service a bit down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were going to a wedding on a Sunday and arrived Saturday at 2 pm, with the rehearsal dinner set for 6 pm. The front desk said check-in time was 4 and we said we'd wait by the lovely swimming pool. Four o'clock came and went and the room was not ready; we tried to call at 5 and no one answered the front desk. We finally got into our room at 6:30 and I was fit to be tied. To their credit, the hotel gave us a free night, free parking, etc. We were duly compensated, but it was just too stressful. It is a lovely setting, with the hotel nestled in the Berkeley hills, but they do not have their act together.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for your candid feedback. It is with deep regret that we learn that you were unhappy with any part of your stay. While it is unclear as to what caused the delay, it is the single most important priority for all of our associates to provide excellent service so we are certainly troubled by the details you have shared. We will review your comments with management as we are continuously working to improve our guests' experience and to provide the best possible services to all. Thank you.

774 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I enjoy the Claremont for special occasions--anniversaries and graduations. The staff are professional and genial, motivated to please their visitors. This attitude enhances what is already a beautiful property and great location. As I write this response, I am looking out the window onto the Bay--a gorgeous almost panoramic view. When we arrived last night, the valets were courteous and swift, and the receptionist Jonilyh responded to my request for a quiet room by showing me the floor plan, offering choices weighing in on view and location, then upgraded us when she found out we were returning guests, and while she helped us, she greeted the person behind us, reassured her she would be with her shortly, thanked her, and all the while giving eye contact, being pleasant and effective. As we were departing for our upgraded room, she heard us speaking of this being our 26th anniversary year, and soon after a bottle of chilled champagne arrived. This kind of attention to detail and joyous (Jonilyh's nickname is Joy :) hospitality makes the visit memorable and worth the extra expenditure.
The other lovely fact of the Claremont Club is that neighbors are actively engaged so the quality of the spa facilities, pools, tennis courts, are superb. Kudos for the corps d'esprit and thank you!

Room Tip: We love the sixth floor bayview away from the elevator.
Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Happy Anniversary! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and will share your kind words with our associates, particularly those you mentioned by name. Often the small touches are what combine to create the most memorable experiences. Our Club is always a favorite with our guests and we appreciate your mentioning so many of the activities we offer. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa.
boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is a grand old hotel...WHITE and huge set against the beautiful hills of Berkley...lobby is warm and inviting...but my god, you can call from your room to the Valet, to the front desk, to room service...and NO ONE picks up...crazy. I mean...20 rings..nothing. We were told the Spa rooms were more luxe....but guess what they are also way more loud. The staff leave around midnight, making a racket and they arrive at 4:30 a.m. to open up a spa...making a racket. LOUD garbage trucks. Don't stay in one of these rooms..even if they have a good view....not worth the noise. The rooms are fine, not great. The hotel feels like it needs a total culture over haul....from staff, to just the vibe...great location, great view....excellent pool though incredibly crowded on the Sunday we were there...and I do give the hotel a break as I think there were plenty of weddings and other events there that overwhelmed and exhausted staff...but seriously not my problem....we would give them another try but I hope when we do, they have gotten serious about offering service to their clientele.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
While it is great to know you enjoyed the atmosphere of our hotel, we are deeply disappointed that your stay was not what you had hoped for in all ways. Providing the very best in customer service is the cornerstone of what we strive to provide and we can certainly appreciate the frustration you may have felt. Your comments will be shared with all of our associates. We value your feedback and hope that one day we can win back your trust.
Solana Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have been coming to the Claremont every month for four years. And in all that time, the staff has never let me down. From Makiva, Shabnam, Lori and Ernesto at the front desk to Francisco and Mike at the Bell desk, I have always been greeted with a smile, a can do attitude, and a willingness to do whatever it takes, even when I have a difficult request. Sandie's recommendations for dinner have always been excellent and if it weren't for Nellie's doppio espresso in the morning, I'm not sure how I would survive! The Claremont is a grand old gal, and her staff do her proud.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
What a lovely review, thank you! It is always our pleasure to comfortably accommodate our guests and providing the ultimate in service is what we hope to achieve. Our associates will love to know they continue to leave you with such a positive impression for each of your monthly visits and your kind words will be shared with all. We look forward to seeing you again and again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We splurged on a room for a night for us and our three kids. We enjoyed the pools and exercise classes. The room was clean and attractive. It is a classy hotel.

The only negative surprise was the surcharge for parking and facilities use, > $50 per night.

• Stayed August 2013
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Classy is a lovely compliment! Thank you so much for sharing your impressions of The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your time here and were able to make such good use of our pools and fitness facilities. As you mentioned, we do charge for parking and facility fees as is detailed on our website and during the booking process but we apologize if it was not more clear. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again for another great stay.
Eastvale, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Best hotel stay ever!
We stayed at the Claremont Hotel for 9 days and it was amazing. Super friendly staff around the clock and everywhere. Great fitness facility. My wife loved the daily free spa experience included in the price! Enjoyed dinner at the Meritage but the best breakfast we found just outside the hotel at the LaFournée Bakery. Best Croissants outside of Paris!

Room Tip: Ask the concierge Sandee about anything and she will help you.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your appreciation for The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. We are elated that you enjoyed your nine days with us. Our spa experience is such a treat and it is wonderful that your wife was able to enjoy it as well as our fitness facilities! Your recent stay reflects the type of experience we hope everyone will have when visiting us and hope to welcome you back again soon.
Berkeley, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Though this review is a few months late, I still wanted to leave a comment about the exceptional service we received at The Claremont because I believe that our experience really showcases why this hotel is a great location for special events. This May, my fiancé worked with our friends, my family, and the lovely staff of the hotel to pull off a romantic and memorable surprise proposal. From his point of view, as the surpriser, the hotel staff worked with him every step of the way to ensure that all things went according to plan so that he could focus on the surprising. From my point of view, as the surprised, I was impressed the entire time by how great our service was and how genuinely happy the staff was for us.

Briefly, here's our experience: I was tricked by a close friend of ours who initially invited me to attend a sort of "girls' night" including a nail salon appointment at the spa and a drink or two at one of the hotel bars. The nail salon experience alone was worth going back for. Though it's a bit pricey, we had an excellent time - I would recommend visiting the spa for special occasions. Think Mother's Day, anniversaries, etc. Drinks are always enjoyable, as the bar at The Meritage has a great wine selection, with a full range of prices. Somehow, at this point, my friend convinced me that she wanted to head up a few floors to check out the beautiful views that this hillside hotel has to offer. It really is breathtaking at sunset, but I was truly surprised once my friend suddenly opened the door to the tower suite, and the next thing I know, I'm greeting my fiancé on the deck of the hotel's tower! The hotel has beautiful decor and great views at any level, but there is something very magical about the view from the tower - you can see the entire Bay Area! The staff had helped my fiancé set up a beautiful table with flowers and champagne. As if I couldn't be surprised enough, my fiancé even had my family there as a surprise. We were all able to celebrate with a photo shoot in the tower, followed by a delicious dinner at Meritage. My fiancé and I were able to stay the evening in the tower suite with a yummy breakfast in the morning. Needless to say the staff made sure that we were comfortable, well-fed, and the whole time we were completely giddy to be able to stay in such a lovely room and to celebrate our engagement with family and friends. I was able to meet Jennifer, the head concierge, as well with a few other staff members who had helped my fiancé in the planning of the surprise. Everyone was full of congratulatory things to say and made sure we had everything we needed. We give such huge thanks to everyone at the hotel for making this an event we soon won't forget!

We've since been back to the hotel for happy hour at Paragon and more recently for a historical tour of the hotel, which are being held in preparation for the hotel's 100th anniversary. With it's history, the great services and friendly staff, and especially with the amazing location with its incredible views, The Claremont has become a special place for us that I'm sure we will continue to visit for many years to come. I'm including a link to our photographer's blog page with photos of our proposal - they're beautifully done and it provides a great look at just how breathtaking the views are from the tower: http://www.simoneanne.com/journal/2013/07/cameron-hannahs-proposal-berkeley-engagement-session/

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your amazing story with us as well as your special day. It brings us such joy to know what an amazing experience you had and that our associates were able to help in planning such a lovely surprise. Everyone here at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa is overjoyed to provide our guests the very best in service, from weddings to romantic birthday getaways as well as family reunions, business events and more! Your many glowing compliments for our accommodations and hospitality have certainly brought a smile to our faces and we will share your kind words with all of our associates. Congratulations to the both of you, we wish you many years of happiness!

Been to Claremont Hotel Club & Spa? Share your experiences!